EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Larger S & S jugs on a stock lower end.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ape_Hanger
Joe, the best advice I have mirrors thc's. You really need to just get a bike and ride it. You won't know what you want to change until you actually have something to change. We realize you're excited about getting your first Harley in 8 months, but all the hypothetical threads you start here and other places on the forum are a bit much.
What can I say I have a very curious mind. I admit I'm a bookworm. I like to research and study how things work. This especially true when you speak of what happens when you change the dynamics of anything.

Last edited by Ozark Joe; 06-02-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:48 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe
What can I say I have a very curious mind. I admit I'm a bookworm and like to research things.
Nothing wrong with that. Same here as well.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:29 AM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

short answer: no

my 124" evo is only like a tenth of an inch taller than a stock 80" evo....but its 5/8" wider (motor sits farther right in the frame). makes fitting the overly large 2" headpipe even more tricky (my right floorboard is spaced out an inch to clear).

clutch, bigger for sure. I run a Bandit

starter: believe it or not I lost a ring gear (unrelated to 124) and in the process blew the starter drive on my 1.4kw AllBalls starter. to get by while they warrantied it, I threw in the stock 1.2kw starter.

I have not swapped them back yet. the stocker has plenty of oomph to kick over a 124 assuming you have CR's

and mines the evil 10.8:1 version }:]

hopefully you research how to make money too, cause it aint a cheap journey. between engine/clutch/driveline, plus the misc stuff I did while i had it all apart, I probably spent just under $10k on it, and thats doing 99.5% of the work myself (had to sub a few small bits because the labor was WAY cheaper than buying the speciality tool)

Old 06-03-2015, 03:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Exclamation

It was just hypothetical dude nothing serious.
Well funnily enough there can only be serious answers to the sort of question you asked! If we answered 'hypothetically' you wouldn't be certain of getting an honest answer.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:27 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There are a few things you can do before making any major changes like a cam, well tuned carb, ignition , pipes etc. I really think that an overly large top end on a minimal bored stock cases is going to be a low mileage motor where as a s&s ready built or ready to assemble moderate sized motor would be more of a high milage reliable motor.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:00 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

What can I say I have a very curious mind. I admit I'm a bookworm. I like to research and study how things work. This especially true when you speak of what happens when you change the dynamics of anything.
Then I suggest you go back and read all the posts in all the threads here in the EVO section.
When you get done you will have a much better understanding of EVO era bikes and motors.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Lucky Luke
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
For someone on a limited budget you sure are trying to spend a shitload of money ....
And you are going to need better brakes long before you need a 124 ci engine ... If you can push over a 100/100 out of, say, an Axtel 97 inch, how much more do you need to scare yourself with?

One related question regarding budget approach ...

I recently became aware that Wiseco make sleeves or liners for standard barrels to match 3.740" pistons. That's kit 3035FA and makes a 93.4 ci

The pistons are K1749.

I cannot find and have never read of any folk trying this approach. Given others sell equivalent replacement kits, if you have access to machining workshop, this could be a cheap approach.

I tried but I cannot get any information out of the Wiseco sales people. I guess they are not regular sellers.

That's almost 3 3/4" which more than the 3 5/8" mentioned above and measuring a case up, it looks like it will leave it mighty thin.

I understand the OEM liner is serrated and cast into the alloy barrel ... so how do you fit these and how wide are they? Do you need to bore out the original liner or can you press it out? ... Do they fit within it?

All Wiseco say is they are made from cast iron and the instructions are on the box! I'd like to know a little in advance. Of course, if all they are is cast iron, I guess you could just cut them out of some standard auto parts. It's a wonder someone has made one out of some wonder material that is much thiner yet ...

I tend to think a more square would be better.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,326 Likes on 5,874 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky Luke

I recently became aware that Wiseco make sleeves or liners for standard barrels to match 3.740" pistons. That's kit 3035FA and makes a 93.4 ci

The pistons are K1749.

That's almost 3 3/4" which more than the 3 5/8" mentioned above and measuring a case up, it looks like it will leave it mighty thin.

I understand the OEM liner is serrated and cast into the alloy barrel ... so how do you fit these and how wide are they?

The Wiseco sleeves 3035FA are 3.625 (3 5/8) so I don't know how you are going to get 3.740 pistons in them without a hell of an overbore. You bore the cylinders out and drop the sleeves in...they have a "step" and basically the heads hold them in place...like a big diesel engine. When they wear out...you just pop in another set. Personally I think they are for racing, more than the street. Unless you can get the machining done for free, you could buy a set of cylinders for the same price or less.

http://www.powersportsplace.com/part...35fa/overview/

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 06-06-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:19 PM
Diesel68mc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
There are a few things you can do before making any major changes like a cam, well tuned carb, ignition , pipes etc.
Totally agree with this statement. Putting a bigger cam and tuning accordingly will make a bone stock evo feel like a totally different bike. I think you would be happy with the change. Compaired to stock it will seem like it hauls *** after a cam swap pipes and jetting etc for a fraction of the price of a big inch motor plus still retain the stockish reliability. Just my two Penny's.... D

Old 06-06-2015, 10:43 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,795 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky Luke
If you can push over a 100/100 out of, say, an Axtel 97 inch, how much more do you need to scare yourself with?

Way more than that, 100 hp doesn't have any affects on underwear changes, you are $6000 away from of just starting to get fun.

Quick Reply: Larger S & S jugs on a stock lower end.