EVO All Evo Model Discussion

A question on Brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:03 AM
wombat457
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 188 Posts
Default A question on Brakes...

Now I am "up grading the power" of the bike, I have been thinking about upgrading the "Stopping Power" as well. Having get up and go is great, but being able to stop just as well is better

I am considering replacing my Rotors, Caliper and Pads on my 97 FLSTC but am not sure what to change the stock stuff out with.

I have read about Floating, Semi Floating and Non floating Rotors. It seems as though the Floating Rotors are the best performers BUT rattle and are more for crotch rockets and the like. One thing I read said that Cruisers don't have Floating Rotors but fixed Rotors.

Brake Pads are just as diverse with Kevlar, Organic and Mixed Metals at a huge price range. Price, in my opinion, doesn't always equate to quality though.

I want to go with 4 Piston calipers but there again, there seems to be a huge range of them from various manufacturers.

So, what I would like to know are the following things:

1. Are there any manufacturers to "definitely stay away from"?
2. What type of Rotor and manufacturer do you guys recommend?
3. What type of Pads and make do you recommend?
4. What make of 4 Piston Caliper do you recommend?
5. If I change the above, will anything else need to be changed?

Thanks all and looking forward to your thoughts and recommendations.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Forget the crotch rocket stuff and go with full floating rotors. H-D ones are good value for money and no, they don't rattle, at least until they're knackered! As a small bonus they come with new mounting screws. I actually have new EBC FF rotors for my 'new' front end, as well as their pads. Haven't built or ridden it yet though.

My photo below shows my custom Harrison 13" rotors and 6-pot calipers, which have been great while in good condition, but haven't lasted very long and are due for the chop soon. Custom calipers are darned expensive, but crotch rocket calipers can be bought new or s/h and installed using adapter plates. Add braided hoses and you should be done!

Old 04-24-2015, 04:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

I've just read misfitJason's thread on his brakes, which is well worth a read.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:38 AM
wombat457
Road Master

Thanks grbrown and actually, it was his thread that got me looking at the brakes and ended with me asking the above questions.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:21 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Keep in mind that you don't want to lock up easier under emergency situations, your looking for stopping power with less physical effort? Bleed system, New quality pads, fancy rotors if you have money to burn. Might as well go for the whole ABS set-up...

Old 04-24-2015, 07:11 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Keep in mind that you don't want to lock up easier under emergency situations, your looking for stopping power with less physical effort? Bleed system, New quality pads, fancy rotors if you have money to burn. Might as well go for the whole ABS set-up...
The single pot calipers that come on his bike really suck for emergency stops.

Wombat if you want better brakes get a Brembo caliper.
The other option (which I am doing) is putting on dual disks.
It is way cheaper to just put a decent caliper on there than to change all the parts you will need to to go to dual disk.

The only reason I am doing it the other way is because I already put a mag wheel on the front and to me it looks silly with only one disk.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:28 AM
wombat457
Road Master

Thanks guys and have been looking at the Brembo caliper as well as a couple of others but will take another look at the Brembo's again.

The floating rotors I can get from HD at a decent price. I don't have money to burn, but what price do you put on brakes? With that being said, I'm not going over board either.

Thanks Guys.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:42 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
I don't believe there is a true abs upgrade kit for Harleys the kits out there have an air pocket that buffers the pistons from locking up.
Yep......

Old 04-24-2015, 07:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Retrofitting abs has been covered before somewhere in HDF. It isn't practical to do it frankly and if we Evo owners can make it this far down the road without.....

Last edited by grbrown; 04-24-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:00 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Don't forget that it is the front tire that stops the bike, not the brakes. The stickiest front tire you can get is a good start. If you can lock up the front tire now, you have enough brake.

Most race brake setups are to better manage heat, and we don't really have a heat problem on a street bike.

Quick Reply: A question on Brakes...