Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 05:54 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by wombat457
Not a problem THC - I can do a video

I'll need you to stand on the road just up from where I "intend" stopping taking the video so I can get a REALLLLYYYYYY good one though That way, you'll be the first to know if I did the job right or not

Better have Owtlaw there taking pictures too, just in case .......

Just seen that the Brake Lines will be here this Friday and the Caliper this coming Monday. Suppose I should get the Pads and Rotor now as well.
Come on down I'm game if you are!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2015, 06:01 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow what a nice set up, you need to be careful who is behind you when you stop:-)

Old 04-28-2015, 06:11 PM
wombat457
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 188 Posts

THC,

I'm game, wouldn't be the first time I have locked up the front brakes on a bike - gets the blood flowing but fun when the front wheel starts turning again

Harleycruiser,

Have to thank all of you guys for it though, had it been up to me alone who knows what I might have ended up with!

I'm hoping that I wont have to do this again for a very long time so wanted to get it right the first time. Might even do the rear brakes at some point although I pretty much only use them when I am stopped at a light etc.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:47 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

THC,

I'm game, wouldn't be the first time I have locked up the front brakes on a bike - gets the blood flowing but fun when the front wheel starts turning again

Harleycruiser,

Have to thank all of you guys for it though, had it been up to me alone who knows what I might have ended up with!

I'm hoping that I wont have to do this again for a very long time so wanted to get it right the first time. Might even do the rear brakes at some point although I pretty much only use them when I am stopped at a light etc.
And how many times have you done it with a dumb *** redneck in front of you????

Old 04-28-2015, 07:09 PM
wombat457
Road Master

TOO many times! Now I sit a good 3 cars length back from anyone unless I intend overtaking.

Between the idiots who decide to stop for no apparent reason or run stop and give way signs or back out of drive ways and parking spaces in car parks, think I've lost count of how many times I've had to take evasive action of some sort.

Long story but in short, I did a 4 week riding course back in Oz and a whole day was spent doing emergency stops on bitumen (black top) grass, dirt, corners etc using Suzuki 650's. I got kinda good at them.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:24 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

TOO many times! Now I sit a good 3 cars length back from anyone unless I intend overtaking.

Between the idiots who decide to stop for no apparent reason or run stop and give way signs or back out of drive ways and parking spaces in car parks, think I've lost count of how many times I've had to take evasive action of some sort.

Long story but in short, I did a 4 week riding course back in Oz and a whole day was spent doing emergency stops on bitumen (black top) grass, dirt, corners etc using Suzuki 650's. I got kinda good at them.
Sounds like fun!!!!

Old 04-28-2015, 07:42 PM
wombat457
Road Master

Yeah it actually was. All done on a closed training circuit so we could do whatever we had to do in complete safety, other than ourselves. From memory, there were 12 of us on the course, and we lost two bikes due to screw ups. I remember one girl doing emergency stops coming off of bitumen onto gravel digging the front end in and her going over the windshield closely followed by the bike.

Yep, all good fun

Old 04-30-2015, 09:25 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm just gonna toss out my 2cents about abs brakes for what that's worth. (about 2 cents I guess, LOL)

I have never been a fan of abs brakes on any vehicle. Guess I am old school that way. If I have the opportunity to choose, I would opt to get a vehicle without them specifically. Grew up learning without them, and don't want to rely on them. I know how to pump the breaks when in a skid, same deal. Other than that it's just one more thing that can and will fail and extra expense to repair. I like it simple!

Case in point, my dodge truck just had a stupid abs issue where the abs system would activate at slow speeds when coming to a stop. False activation they called it. It was a total safety hazard, when you least expect it coming to a stop the system would release the breaks and the vehicle would NOT stop. Almost rear ended cars, buildings etc. It was un-drivable safely. So off to the shop it went. Sat there for a month with all the "Master Techs" and even the owner scratching their heads time and time again. replaced the front hubs (bad signal from right front abs sensor), abs valve module controller, even a complete rear end thinking the toner ring was faulty. (those rear end gears were bad anyways, and by rights did need the repair). So literally everything in the abs system had been replaced, BUT it was still doing it, imagine that huh? Final resolution came down to be the cheapo hubs we decided to put in had an issue with where the abs sensor connector rubbing against the control arm creating a gap. Swapped out both hubs with the premium hubs that had a different style sensor connector and all was good with plenty of clearance. Was a total goat @#$%, that cost me $3000, and that was with the shop eating a huge amount of labor.

That's my sad story, and just another reason I hate abs systems. Glad my evo does not have it, and I wouldn't consider putting it on if you paid me! Oh and by the way the reman rear end had issues within the first 200 miles and is now back in the shop to get a replacement installed. Nice huh? At least the warranty fully covers that.

Last edited by DeputyLoud; 04-30-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:43 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I have made a start and bought a set of Speigler Braided Brake lines - nice colored ones at that

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake...ne-kit-366.htm

I found what I needed at jpcycles. Went with the Russell brand braided lines for front and back. Got the front kit and the rear line both for under $150. I know you already bought the Speiglers but just in case they don't work out for you, there are options. Thought those prices you posted were a bit spendy. I have the fronts all done and am waiting for the rear line to arrive to get that on and bleed em. I am impressed with the look and feel of the braided lines on the front. lever is solid as a rock now, no line expansion. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:19 PM
wombat457
Road Master

I looked at the Russel lines from JP but wasn't sure if they would fit my bike ... can't remember exactly why I didn't go with them. The Speiglers were probably the most expensive I could have bought - not an intentional thing. I had contacted another mob who were about $20 cheaper but didn't get anything back from them until after I gave up hearing back and bought the ones I did.

We'll have to see how they go, if price is any indication they should be bloody brilliant!

Quick Reply: A question on Brakes...