EVO All Evo Model Discussion

A question on Brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:18 AM
wombat457
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 188 Posts

You make a very good point re the front brakes and heat dispersal. Grbrown also makes a good point as well ... we have come this far with what we have without issues (hopefully) so ...

Bottom line for me is to have the best, most practical, set up that I can and hope I will never need to use them to their fullest extent.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

I've owned a wide variety of bikes over the last near 50 years, with every style of brake imaginable. I don't buy the 'too much' brakes argument! My first exploit in improving brakes was to buy a double-sided large diameter racing (Seeley) drum brake for my BSA Rocket 3. It would out-brake any bike I rode or rode with, including every early disc-braked bike. Bl**dy marvellous thing!

My first Harley had hydraulic discs both ends and the worst brakes I have ever owned, yet in the 'right' circumstances I could lock either wheel. Skipping forwards to my ole Glide I've changed the awful stock tyres for better gripping Avons, tried aftermarket pads which improved wet-weather braking noticeably, then braided hoses with further improvements in feel and grip.

For many years I've been running my 13" rotors with 6 piston calipers, which when they are working properly are just great, though not as good as that Seeley. There is no such thing as too much brakes, just as there is no such thing as too much power! The joy and skill of riding bikes is making use of the available performance, in all departments (hence my quest for better ride quality).

So bah humbug - buy the most powerful brakes ya want or can afford!

Old 04-24-2015, 09:32 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Don't forget that it is the front tire that stops the bike, not the brakes. The stickiest front tire you can get is a good start. If you can lock up the front tire now, you have enough brake.

Most race brake setups are to better manage heat, and we don't really have a heat problem on a street bike.
Doc if his '97 FLSTC is anything like my '95 FLSTC then there is no way in hell he can lock up that front brake.
Well he probably can when the bike isn't moving but other than that there is no way the stock set up will lock up that wheel.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:42 AM
wombat457
Road Master

THC,

Have to be honest, can't say I have tried to lock it up. But if the feel of them under "hard braking", ie avoiding a deer, is anything to go by I'd have to agree with you - locking the front on my bike would take some doing.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Brake upgrade, pick and choose:

Braided lines
Lyndall Gold pads (nothing wrong with EBC)
multi-piston caliper
floating rotor

Do these and you will have all the braking power you need.

note: the four pot HD calipers must be cleaned as part of regular maintenance.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:08 AM
wombat457
Road Master

Pretty much what I had in mind, other than the brand and the lines. Will look at the pads and braided lines you suggest, thanks.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:23 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the two single-piston POS stock calipers on my RK with a couple of second hand Tokico four-pot calipers off a 2001 GSXR-750 Suzuki and am very happy with them.

Cost about $50 for the calipers and I made my own aluminium adaptor brackets. Post a thread on here about it some time back.
Also, FabKevin sells steel adaptor brackets on his webpage.

I just used the stock non-floating discs and so far no problem - and I ride reasonably hard through a lot of steep downhill twisties with the missus on the back. No sign of warping etc.

With the Tokicos, you can flush them out with alcohol and use DOT5 fluid in them with no damage to the seals. (I put new seals in mine just to make sure all the old DOT4 was gone gone gone.

Braided stainless lines are definitely worth tthe money too. Give a much nicer firm feel at the lever.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:30 AM
wombat457
Road Master

Seems like a lot of people are going with these Tokicos brand 4 piston calipers with a lot of success. Because they are not made for Harleys, but more for Jap bikes, how do you know which one to buy? I mean, does a Suzuki 1000 Tokicos fit a 97 Softail for example, not with standing the apparent need for a bracket of course.

I did email FabKevin about an adapter and caliper for my bike BUT he never bothered replying so don't think I will be doing business with him, regardless of the prices. Pretty sure I can find someone to make me some brackets if needed.

Right now I'm am more inclined to go with the Brembo Caliper, albeit more expensive as it is a direct replacement for the stock 2 piston calipers I have at the moment, or seems to be.

While I'm on it, is there any where you can buy a "Complete Braided Brake Line Kit" for my bike or do you have to buy individual lines and make them up?

Sorry for the (probably) dumb questions.

Last edited by wombat457; 04-25-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:33 AM
wombat457
Road Master

Well, I have made a start and bought a set of Speigler Braided Brake lines - nice colored ones at that

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake...ne-kit-366.htm

Old 04-28-2015, 05:44 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts
Default A question on Brakes...

Maybe your email is stuck in Fab Kevin's spam filter. Why don't you call him?

Quick Reply: A question on Brakes...