Modifying a windshield???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 05:48 PM
wombat457
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Modifying a windshield???

Hey guys,

I have a windshield on my bike that is positioned perfectly for my riding style; however, it does restrict the Headlight Housing adjustment.

What I was considering was "cutting" about a 1/4" - 1/2" off of the bottom of the windshield where the headlight sits. Anyone done this or cut a windshield for any reason? If so, what did you use to do the cutting?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:59 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i used a muffler cutter then sanded the edge started with 180 and worked my way down to 800 then used a propane torch on the edge to glass it over.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:03 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by wombat457
Hey guys,

I have a windshield on my bike that is positioned perfectly for my riding style; however, it does restrict the Headlight Housing adjustment.

What I was considering was "cutting" about a 1/4" - 1/2" off of the bottom of the windshield where the headlight sits. Anyone done this or cut a windshield for any reason? If so, what did you use to do the cutting?

Thanks in advance.
A profesional .

I needed to cut the headlamp arc about 3" higher and wanted it to look factory. I took it to a shop that does hand made acrylic work and they did an excellent job for 60 bux. They removed ALL the hardware, sticky papered the windshield to avoid scratches, jigged it up and router'd the opening per my markings before putting it all back together. The windshield cost me $455 up here in Kanukistan so the 60 to get it how I wanted seemed appropriate enough.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:11 PM
wombat457
Road Master

Thanks gents. Not sure what a Muffler Cutter is to be honest but that will be easy to dig up I would think. Like the video of how to "buff up" the edges once cut too - real easy.

I live in the country so finding someone around here that can cut it for me would be like trying to find that nut you dropped in the grass ... damn near impossible until you don't need it.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:17 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wombat457
Thanks gents. Not sure what a Muffler Cutter is to be honest but that will be easy to dig up I would think. Like the video of how to "buff up" the edges once cut too - real easy.

I live in the country so finding someone around here that can cut it for me would be like trying to find that nut you dropped in the grass ... damn near impossible until you don't need it.
3" Air Cut-Off Tool Exhaust Muffler Grinder Sheet Metal Cutter Cutting - Power Metal Cutting Saws - Amazon.com 3" Air Cut-Off Tool Exhaust Muffler Grinder Sheet Metal Cutter Cutting - Power Metal Cutting Saws - Amazon.com

Old 04-22-2015, 06:36 PM
wombat457
Road Master

Thanks for the link and am now wondering if a Dremel with the appropriate cutter would do the job?

Old 04-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Jigsaw is what I used.

There are some youtube videos showing how. Basically cover with blue masking tape, trace line, cut. Then polish using flame like mentioned above, or use 600, then 800 grit wet sand paper. Then follow with polishing the edge with mothers aluminum polish, then finally polishing compound.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

I bought an extra windshield to cut down myself. I was thinking about using a router on it. I guess the lexan cuts different than Plexiglas as I've split it using a jig saw. Good to see that can be done.
Not to steal or high jack this thread but has any one used a heat gun to put a slight bend or flare at the top of their windshield to help deflect the wind?
Thanks.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:13 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,321 Likes on 3,177 Posts

I used painters tape, marked a line and cut it with a Roto-Zip using a carbide bit.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:53 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashone
Not to steal or high jack this thread but has any one used a heat gun to put a slight bend or flare at the top of their windshield to help deflect the wind?
Thanks.
I would imagine it would be difficult to get uniform heat absorption with a heat gun. Probably would have better luck heating it carefully in an oven, and you would probably need some type of form or mold to make it uniform and symmetrical. Dunno for sure, never tried it.

Quick Reply: Modifying a windshield???