EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Modifying a windshield???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:14 PM
wombat457
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 188 Posts

Both you guys are right! I was taking it off of the frame to cut it but I didn't realise it was a quick release system. The only other time I took it off was by unbolting the frame from the sides, 4 bolts. Will have to take a picture so you guys can see it, my explanations aren't that great sorry.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:25 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by wombat457
Both you guys are right! I was taking it off of the frame to cut it but I didn't realise it was a quick release system. The only other time I took it off was by unbolting the frame from the sides, 4 bolts. Will have to take a picture so you guys can see it, my explanations aren't that great sorry.
I know exactly what you mean, I had to install the bracket for the quick release on my Springer. By the way, use some blue loctite on those bolts, I lost one before I loctited then and that bolts's not easy to get, had to go to Ace hardware who carries chrome bolts and it was like $3 or $4!

I suspected such from your words above...so now, you learned a new trick today! That's cool.

Appreciate your posts. Let us know how the adjustment for the light works out. You followed my lead on the Trucklite 7 so I hope you're happy, I never want to steer anyone down a bad path.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:46 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

If it is quick release then I have a windshield for you.
I have an 18" light smoke OEM windshield that I'm not using.
It has never been on a bike.
I only bought it because that was the only way I could get the hardware I needed.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:09 AM
wombat457
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 188 Posts

Joe,

Thanks and nope, you haven't steered me wrong - I really like the TL in all respects. In fact, I can honestly say that "NO ONE" on here has steered me wrong, just lots of good advice.

THC,

I am definitely going to have to get some pictures on here of the windscreen setup proper. IF it is a quick release, then you have lost your windscreen . I think it would be perfect!

So that brings me to another question (again) I can understand the difference between a "fixed" windscreen and a quick release with respect to how it physically attaches to the bike; however, what is the difference between the plexi glass for those systems?

Old 05-01-2015, 07:23 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

So that brings me to another question (again) I can understand the difference between a "fixed" windscreen and a quick release with respect to how it physically attaches to the bike; however, what is the difference between the plexi glass for those systems?
The bolt pattern is different.
You can take an new windshield and put it on an old set up but you will have to drill holes in it.

On second thought it would be a bad idea as some of the old bolt holes would be exposed.

Last edited by texashillcountry; 05-01-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:32 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

As far as I know you can't get a HD fixed bracket anymore.

Harley makes two brackets, a compact and a king size. I have both. The mounts to the bike are the same. The only difference is the distance between the outermost bolts and the next bolts. King size is spaced further out. Unless you have the side by side you can't tell the difference. Looking at your pics Wombat I am pretty sure you have a compact screen.

If you have a screen drilled for a compact bracket, you can drill new holes and put it on a king size bracket. I did this with a screen and the inner unused holes are hidden.

If you have a screen drilled for a king size bracket and you put it on a compact bracket, the outer holes will be exposed. Good place to mount a chrome doodad. lol

You two guys need to compare the distance between the outer most holes and the next hole in to see if you are comparable. An 18" screen is likely a king size.

BTW Wombat, IMHO the proper height is just below your eye line and you measure up from the headlight cutout. I have an 18" that I look through and a 14" that I look over. I need a 16" to be perfect so I may cut my 18", haven't decided. I don't like looking through the screen on a motorcycle and the huge screen buffets a bit on the freeway at 80. The lower screen is so noisy with wind I have to wear ear plugs.

If you do go for a new screen I recommend Cleartastic, they are competitively priced, offer a 10% forum discount and provide a thicker screen than HD with no coating that can come off with age. They also do a "recurve" at the top which is nice to direct wind over your head.

Last edited by Joe_G; 05-01-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:49 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Joe_G
As far as I know you can't get a HD fixed bracket anymore.

Harley makes two brackets, a compact and a king size. I have both. The mounts to the bike are the same. The only difference is the distance between the outermost bolts and the next bolts. King size is spaced further out. Unless you have the side by side you can't tell the difference. Looking at your pics Wombat I am pretty sure you have a compact screen.

If you have a screen drilled for a compact bracket, you can drill new holes and put it on a king size bracket. I did this with a screen and the inner unused holes are hidden.

If you have a screen drilled for a king size bracket and you put it on a compact bracket, the outer holes will be exposed. Good place to mount a chrome doodad. lol

You two guys need to compare the distance between the outer most holes and the next hole in to see if you are comparable. An 18" screen is likely a king size.

BTW Wombat, IMHO the proper height is just below your eye line and you measure up from the headlight cutout. I have an 18" that I look through and a 14" that I look over. I need a 16" to be perfect so I may cut my 18", haven't decided. I don't like looking through the screen on a motorcycle and the huge screen buffets a bit on the freeway at 80. The lower screen is so noisy with wind I have to wear ear plugs.

If you do go for a new screen I recommend Cleartastic, they are competitively priced, offer a 10% forum discount and provide a thicker screen than HD with no coating that can come off with age. They also do a "recurve" at the top which is nice to direct wind over your head.
While I grant you the horizontal holes would be covered I still think the vertical holes would be exposed.

From memory the only thing that changes is where the vertical bracket mounts (second hole in on horizontal bar).

You can still get a windshield for the old bolt pattern.
Just not from Harley.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
While I grant you the horizontal holes would be covered I still think the vertical holes would be exposed.

From memory the only thing that changes is where the vertical bracket mounts (second hole in on horizontal bar).

You can still get a windshield for the old bolt pattern.
Just not from Harley.
No, since I have both compact and king size, what I wrote above is correct. I had to drill the outer holes on the compact shield to fit the king size bracket.

But you guys should measure and compare notes before incurring the postage. Nice of you to help out Wombat!

Last edited by Joe_G; 05-01-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:54 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Joe_G
No, since I have both compact and king size, what I wrote above is correct. I had to drill the outer holes on the compact shield to fit the king size bracket.

But you guys should measure and compare notes before incurring the postage. Nice of you to help out Wombat!
The basket case I just got still has the old style.
I'm gonna measure it and see.
I still don't understand what you are taking about with the compact and king sizes.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:15 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
The basket case I just got still has the old style.
I'm gonna measure it and see.
I still don't understand what you are taking about with the compact and king sizes.
Maybe a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Compact shield bracket. Outermost horizontal screw 2" on center from next screw.

King size bracket. Outmost horizontal screw 3 ¾ on center from next screw.

All other screw holes are the same with both brackets.

Quick Reply: Modifying a windshield???