Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Looks good!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2015, 04:53 PM
wombat457
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 188 Posts

Thanks THC, it's a little wobbly on the left side as you look at it but not too bad I didn't think. To be honest, you can't really see the "wobbles" unless you look pretty close. They happened when I stopped the cut about 2" from the end and started again in the opposite direction, if the makes sense.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:56 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by wombat457
Thanks THC, it's a little wobbly on the left side as you look at it but not too bad I didn't think. To be honest, you can't really see the "wobbles" unless you look pretty close. They happened when I stopped the cut about 2" from the end and started again in the opposite direction, if the makes sense.
It makes perfect sense.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:33 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Looks good! You could clean or blend that very minor defect with a file, some sandpaper, etc. Then polish the edge using one of the methods described here.

But I agree, really not easy to see. Nice Job. YD

Old 04-29-2015, 07:43 PM
wombat457
Road Master

Thanks and your right I could, but considering where it is and what a PITA it is to get windscreen off, I don't think I'll worry too much about it. That being said, I should have "polished it" before I replaced it ... was in too much of hurry to see how much of a difference it was going to make.

I know it will bug me so it will come off again, at some point, and I will most likely clean it up a bit then. Actually, the way the screen sits, the top of it is in my line of site which gets annoying, so was thinking about taking an inch or so off of the top as well, now I know how easy it is to do

Old 04-29-2015, 07:46 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats strange that you say its difficult to get windscreen off , takes me just a few minutes to tale it off my wife's 89. Actually looks great with it off when it is off. The job you did looks very good.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:55 PM
wombat457
Road Master

Not difficult, 9 screws and its off just relining up the frame work and my windscreen pouches to put it back is a pain in the butt. Only takes me about 5 minutes to get it off though.

I did have it off for a few rides and thought it looked good too, just a little windier and I need to look after my "golden locks"

Old 04-30-2015, 07:23 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by wombat457
Not difficult, 9 screws and its off just relining up the frame work and my windscreen pouches to put it back is a pain in the butt. Only takes me about 5 minutes to get it off though.

I did have it off for a few rides and thought it looked good too, just a little windier and I need to look after my "golden locks"
Isn't that a Harley quick release windshield? It looks like it....

If so, no need to remove the screws and the frame, just pull the top of the screen toward the front of the bike, it'll go about 2" and you'll see the top disconnects come loose, then just lift it straight up off the bottom mounts. Once you learn the trick it takes 10 seconds and you don't need to remove the bag contents.

Here's a video on how it works.

Last edited by Joe_G; 04-30-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:34 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Isn't that a Harley quick release windshield? It looks like it....

If so, no need to remove the screws and the frame, just pull the top of the screen toward the front of the bike, it'll go about 2" and you'll see the top disconnects come loose, then just lift it straight up off the bottom mounts. Once you learn the trick it takes 10 seconds and you don't need to remove the bag contents.

Here's a video on how it works.

Harley Davidson Motorcycle Maintenance : How to Put a Quick Detach Windshield on a Harley - YouTube
For cutting it is best to remove the windshield from the frame.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:35 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
For cutting it is best to remove the windshield from the frame.
The way I read it, I thought he was taking the windshield off the frame to get it off the bike.

Quick Reply: Modifying a windshield???