EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Trickle Charger Crapped Out

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts
Default RE: Trickle Charger Crapped Out

I checked with Extra Space Storage (who now own the storage units where I rent-it's been through three different companies), and they don't turn the power off in the units. But the pimpled faced kid behind the desk said that you're not supposed to have anything plugged in perrmanently (wonder how the guy that runs his heating/cooling 'business' or the carpenter who has a refrigerator in his 'shop, are gonna feel about that). Anyway....

I think the battery companions are both bad, as neither one of them will put out anything close to 12-13 volts let alone the 14 volts you should have to recharge a battery. Andsince I'm not certain how old either one of them is, I'll just have to get a new pair.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I doubt the charger is bad.I have bought batteries that have died almost immediately.I still use my 15 yr tender every day,and in all 7 of the tenders I use, none have ever given me any problems.Take your battery to a battery dealer thay can test it for you.Good Luck

Old 04-27-2007, 12:50 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hacked
This is the one that I got (actually 2) and I know 2 other people that have the same one and they work great.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire...argers/Class1/

Old 04-27-2007, 12:56 PM
vasser
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hackd

Yeah, I can't really 'figure it out'. ButI'm wondering if the storage facility doesn't turn the power off. I'm going to check with them to see if they have the units on a timer or something. I don't seem to have any problem in my garage when I use the small 'float chargers' on either the HD or the Vette.

Too Weird.

Edit: And Bro, if you've got a 9 year old battery in your bike...I'm impressed (and in awe). I got 4 years out of the original....Then every two years I had to replace (twice 'on the road').
Maybe it's bad connections on the battery terminals???

Old 04-27-2007, 10:22 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A 1.5 amp charger is plenty for a motorcycle battery. A larger one can damage a small battery. Your battery is probably OK. Just charge it with a good charger for 12 hours at full charge rate.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks to everyone! I'm really thinking that both the battery companions went bad. They're putting out about 4-5 volts on the 12volt selection. I can only theorize that this is what drained the battery. Of course, now I'm also wondering if running that low of voltage into the battery over thelast six months, screwed it up. I'm still debating whether to send the chargers back to the factory, just to havethem check them out. They weren't all that expensive, under $40 per, so I don't know ifit's even worth the UPS. Other than curiosity.

It took 6 hours to charge up the dead HD battery on the 15amp setting. It started the bike and I brought it to the house where I put it on the charger at 2 amps. After a couple of days on the 2A setting, the battery voltage when checked with my digital voltmeter starts around 13.5 volts. Then seems to slowly decline. I seem to remember (from my old college chemistry days) that a fully charged 12volt battery 'should read' about 13.2 volts. So, I'm where it should be, but....I think I'll pull it out of the bike and have it 'load tested'.

I hate being stranded....Been there too many times.