EVO All Evo Model Discussion

This has to be a new one

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015 | 04:59 PM
Scunny highway
|
Novice
Default This has to be a new one

OK, I started a thread a couple weeks back about my ev13 cam swap. It was making quite a bit of noise so I threw in some adjustable pushrods which made it a little quieter. A little, enough for me to think I did something. As I rode it around I noticed it was still noisy and I though this can't be right.
When we swapped the cam we used the cam gear off of the stock cam. Well this must have been the only time that the stock cam gear was not the right one. It didn't make any noise before the cam swap but it sure did after. It sounded like it had solid lifters in it and adjusting the pushrods made a little difference but not much. Especially after it warmed up.
I never checked it when I put it in but today I checked the backlash and found that the stock cam gear had almost .007" backlash. Way too much. Thats why it made so much noise. I put the bigger cam gear on the ev13 and buttoned her all back up. No noise at all, sounds like it did when it had the stock cam in it.
I was worried for a while, it was so noisy I thought id have to put the stock cam back in.
On a related note, I can't believe how much more power this cam makes. Night and day difference.

Old 04-20-2015 | 06:18 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Gears do wear. Good find and I'm glad you got it all figured out. When it's working right the power feels even better. Have a long and safe season....

Old 04-20-2015 | 07:31 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Bigger gear?? I think you ment .070 ,what you get after switch??

Old 04-20-2015 | 08:23 PM
Scunny highway
|
Novice

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Bigger gear?? I think you ment .070 ,what you get after switch??
.070" ? No I meant .007" of an inch backlash with the stock cam gear on it.
Now it has less than .001" backlash with the new cam gear which is bigger than the stock gear.
The stock gear made noise with the new cam but none with the stock cam. The EV13 came with a bigger gear that worked perfectly. Weird, but whatever, its working.

Old 04-21-2015 | 02:04 AM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain

.001-.050 is the stock tolerance. loose is better than tight with oil being part of the equation. .010-.015 being ideal.

how did you measure and come up with less than .001"? I'd be worried about starving oil at the ends of the cam.

mike

Old 04-21-2015 | 05:39 AM
D_gyver
Road Master

Originally Posted by MIKE93SVT
.001-.050 is the stock tolerance. loose is better than tight with oil being part of the equation. .010-.015 being ideal.

how did you measure and come up with less than .001"? I'd be worried about starving oil at the ends of the cam.

mike
i think hes talking about the gear to gear tolerance not the end play of the cam
if you hear chattering its to loose it will sound like your lifters are bad
if you hear whining its to tight

Old 04-21-2015 | 06:13 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by D_gyver
i think hes talking about the gear to gear tolerance not the end play of the cam

Couldn't have said it better...

Old 04-21-2015 | 08:04 AM
Schex
Supporter

Without putting a dial indicator on it, when it's good, shouldn't be able to feel much if any backlash, but should be able to easily feel the end play.

Old 04-21-2015 | 12:03 PM
Scunny highway
|
Novice

Originally Posted by D_gyver
Thank you.
I just thought I'd post this since I've read here that you should use the stock cam gear. It's not always the best choice. A stock cam makes less noise and can be set up with looser tolerances. So if you put an Andrews cam in your bike with the stock gear it's possible you might get a lot of noise. If Its noisy it might be because the gear has to much backlash. If you can check it with a dial indicator. I was surprised.

Old 04-21-2015 | 03:55 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

You guys making it tuff for me to learn this ****, i'm sure I'll have it figured out when the time comes. LOL

Quick Reply: This has to be a new one