EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dial Back Timing Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:30 AM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Dial Back Timing Light

I have bike almost ready to fire up, again. TDC & on compression stroke. I'm going to use the TDC mark, ( Straight groove mark) to set timing. Hopefully easier to see. Also going to clean said mark & paint it with a bright orange paint pen & also remove inspection cover, clean a area & mark rotor & inner primary. Two places to get the timing correct. Have a Craftsman Dial Back light, ( hope it still works) My question is, where do I need to set the timing light to pick up on the TDC mark at full advance ? 0 or 35 deg ? I would think , set the light to 0 deg, because the advance dot is 35 deg before TDC , but I don't fully understand the basics of a dial back timing light. I have searched threads but didn't find anything that answered this question. Thanks for any help.

Ride safe,
Harold

Old 04-15-2015, 11:38 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it is a dialback you set the dial to whatever degree you want. I just did this yesterday, setbike to tdc on crank on front cylinder compression stroke and put a line on the rotor and a line on the inner primary and put the plug back in the case. I have the ultima ignition and with the dialback found it to be at 28 degrees , reset to tdc using the two lines , set the ultima so lite was on then turned back plate so it just goes off, checked with dialback timing and now I'm at 32 degrees. Not sure if 32 is better then 35 but it sure ran alot better.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:23 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Harold, couple things here.If you want 35 degrees, you'll want to use the RPMS required for max advance, so if your max advance is 35 at xRPMs you start there. In my manual I can set it to 20 degrees at 1050-1450 RPMS which is easier so thats how I did mine. Depends on your curve, I have the P curve igntion module on a 98. If you have an elec ignition it probably gives you the rpms to set it at.

Using the dial back is very easy, this is how I find it easiest, paint that mark then get the bike at the RPMs your looking for then watch for the mark and slowly turn the dial back dial while watching for the mark until you see the TDC line in dead center of the window, it's hard to see, a dark garage helps. When you see it, stop turning the dial and read the dial, thats what your timing is set for at that RPM. Don't watch the dial, just watch the window and go slow and you'll watch the mark slowly come into the window. You'll want to paint the line which is TDC, i also paint the double dots so i can zero the light and check that I see the double when the light is at zero, probably not necessary. Again, my book says 20 degrees 1050-1450 so you should double check your book before you do anything and I'm stock ignition.

Then you can easily adjust the timing as needed and recheck it with the light until you see the mark when the dial is on 35 or whatever you use.

You can set the light to the target setting and fiddle with the ignition plate, but it will take you a lot longer to find it and you don't know where your starting.

Last edited by br549A1; 04-15-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:41 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

setting timing with a dial back is the best way to do it but there are a few things you have to know before you begin
1st what is the max advance of your ignition it can be anywhere from 20-36 degrees 2nd what rpm does it max out at with the voes wire grounded and that can be anywhere from 1100-2600rpm
once you have those 2 things its easy say your timing a 2000i set on curve 1
ground the voes wire start the bike and adjust the idle screw till you hit 1600rpm
now set the dial on the light to 34 degrees and aim it at your window if you dont see your tdc mark your timing is off
to find out how far off you are turn your dial on the light till your tdc mark lines up that will tell how far off you are
if your showing 24 degrees and you need 34 degrees you move your timing plate 5 degrees

Old 04-15-2015, 07:43 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by D_gyver
setting timing with a dial back is the best way to do it but there are a few things you have to know before you begin
1st what is the max advance of your ignition it can be anywhere from 20-36 degrees 2nd what rpm does it max out at with the voes wire grounded and that can be anywhere from 1100-2600rpm
ground the voes wire start the bike and adjust the idle screw till you hit 1600rpm
now set the dial on the light to 34 degrees and aim it at your window if you dont see your tdc mark your timing is off
to find out how far off you are turn your dial on the light till your tdc mark lines up that will tell how far off you are
if your showing 24 degrees and you need 34 degrees you move your timing plate 5 degrees
Could you explain that last part to me?
Is each degree on the timing plate worth two on the timing light?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:59 PM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by D_gyver

Should have stated what ignition I do have & it is a Dyna 2000i.
Have one stupid question & have read in the ignition instructions about grounding the voes to do this. How do you ground the voes? Wires run into a plug which goes into another. Can't you just leave it unplugged while you time it? Good info. I understand this except the part on grounding the voes. Gonna have to get simplier with this old man.
Thanks to you other guys for helping, too.
Ride Safe,
Harold

Old 04-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,035 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Could you explain that last part to me?
Is each degree on the timing plate worth two on the timing light?
crank to cam is geared 2:1

Old 04-15-2015, 08:26 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex3x
crank to cam is geared 2:1
Thanks

Old 04-16-2015, 05:01 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Harold you have to ground voes to ensure it doesn't retard your timing and mess up your timing setting. When the switch is open timing is retarded, 10 degrees I believe?, it should be closed by the rpms needed to check timing but better to ground it and be sure it is closed.

How i do it is remove the seat and at the main harness I run a jumper from pin 6 to pin 7. 6 is the voes wire pin 7 is ground. if your harness is ground black on 7 and violet white on 6 you should be the same.

Last edited by br549A1; 04-16-2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:47 AM
Rob85WG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind there are 3 factors to consider. Starting, accelerating, and cruising each use a different timing. The static timing affects when the spark happens during start. If you rotate the plate away from the correct static setting it may be hard to start. The instructions are clear that the switches (or programming cable) should be used to adjust the advanced timing rather than the plate. If the plug fires before TDC and the motor isn't spinning very fast it could kick back against the starter and "F" it up, or in my case throw my kicking leg in the air.

Quick Reply: Dial Back Timing Light