Another EVO! 1996 FLTCUI

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 09:30 PM
saz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I was joking!!!!
Just playing around! It runs great on the road, and I am sure I could live with the stumble, it's just annoying. You cant stab the throttle down low, you MUST roll onto it if that makes sense. I'm gonna tinker with it a bit starting with temp sensors- acts like it thinks it's cold and loading up on fuel.

My first bagger and I love this old beast! My son was begging to go for a ride so I took him to the dealer and we were looking at new bikes. He jumped up on a new Road Glide Ultra with me, and MAN is that thing top heavy! I thought this old EVO was frumpy, guess not.......

Old 05-05-2015, 03:06 PM
RLH3175
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,705 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by saz
Tell tale of steering head bearings is that the wobble will be present when the bike is either accelerating or decelerating, usually when you have little or no grip on the handlebars. Mine wobbles on decel, when you let go of the bars. They need to be reset.

Good news is, the fuel line isn't leaking anymore. Turns out the bike had sat for almost a year before it was traded in. Just dried out. Runs great but there is a little bit of an issue off idle, and the idle is sporadic dependent on the engine temp. Seems like it stays in high idle most of the time. Idles down rarely when it is warm. How many temperature sensors are there?

Watch this video, I was having the same problems with my 1996 Ultra Classic, until I follow this video and adjusted mine, now it idles perfect, no matter what temperature, hot or cold it idles a 1000 rpms, with no surging.

The following users liked this post:
SGTspoon (09-19-2022)
Old 05-05-2015, 08:27 PM
factorybuilt
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by saz
Just playing around! It runs great on the road, and I am sure I could live with the stumble, it's just annoying. You cant stab the throttle down low, you MUST roll onto it if that makes sense. I'm gonna tinker with it a bit starting with temp sensors- acts like it thinks it's cold and loading up on fuel. My first bagger and I love this old beast! My son was begging to go for a ride so I took him to the dealer and we were looking at new bikes. He jumped up on a new Road Glide Ultra with me, and MAN is that thing top heavy! I thought this old EVO was frumpy, guess not.......
I would bet your issue is the Head temp sensor. My 97 ultra classic was doing the exact thing. Replaced the #32446-95A sensor. Runs like a champ!

Old 05-08-2015, 11:05 AM
hog indo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saz
Well, after surviving EIGHT MONTHS without an EVO bike, here is my latest and greatest addition to the family. 1996 Tourglide, 38K miles and clean! One leaky fuel line and possibly needs steering head bearing adjustment/replacement. We shall see...... I absulutely LOVE this big ol pig! Kinda reminds me of a 1950 Studebaker, or just a retarded bullhead. Either way I love it! Cant wait to get some miles with her!

Did you buy my bike?

Old 05-08-2015, 04:24 PM
saz
Cruiser

Couple of good looking bikes!

Old 05-08-2015, 04:49 PM
davicico
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh!!! This is hard **** sweet bikes!!!

Yeah, if this were my bike i would swap from MM EFI to Carb, early Magneti Marelli EFI is unreliable due high chance to fail.

If some day your EFI system fails, i would get rid of it.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:59 AM
saz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by davicico
Oh!!! This is hard **** sweet bikes!!!

Yeah, if this were my bike i would swap from MM EFI to Carb, early Magneti Marelli EFI is unreliable due high chance to fail.

If some day your EFI system fails, i would get rid of it.

If it ever completely tanks, there will be a zippers MM system on it. How many injected EVO's do you see out on the road? The cost of swapping to carb, after buying parts and everything else involved, you are at about half the cost already. ALSO, if the day ever comes some 4 5/8" wheels just may find their way into the bottom end, some headwork etc. You definitely never see hot-rodded MM EFI EVO's that run right. I have seen one.......

Old 05-09-2015, 01:09 PM
davicico
Advanced

Originally Posted by saz
If it ever completely tanks, there will be a zippers MM system on it. How many injected EVO's do you see out on the road? The cost of swapping to carb, after buying parts and everything else involved, you are at about half the cost already. ALSO, if the day ever comes some 4 5/8" wheels just may find their way into the bottom end, some headwork etc. You definitely never see hot-rodded MM EFI EVO's that run right. I have seen one.......
Only gave my opinion, you are free to do whatever you like on your bike.
I have a carbureted Evo and it's doing 46 mpg average with stock carb and stock config, it run well and love it.

I know about two guys with MM EFI bikes, Electra Glide TC88 and Road King Evo respectively, both with MM EFI and both works fine.

If i had a MM EFI Evolution i would stay with it but i wouldn't spent money repairing it after a failure, EFI systems are expensive to repair depending of what gone wrong, so i would replace it by a carb because it's hard to get a carburettor broken.

Anyway, your bike looks good, enjoy it dude

Old 05-09-2015, 01:18 PM
saz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by davicico
Only gave my opinion, you are free to do whatever you like on your bike.
I have a carbureted Evo and it's doing 46 mpg average with stock carb and stock config, it run well and love it.

I know about two guys with MM EFI bikes, Electra Glide TC88 and Road King Evo respectively, both with MM EFI and both works fine.

If i had a MM EFI Evolution i would stay with it but i wouldn't spent money repairing it after a failure, EFI systems are expensive to repair depending of what gone wrong, so i would replace it by a carb because it's hard to get a carburettor broken.

Anyway, your bike looks good, enjoy it dude
Its all good! I have rolled around the carb swap, but that will be a last result. I just keep hearing local indys saying that you CANNOT get a MM to run correctly.

Believe me I LOVE carbs and the FI thing is new to me, but when someone tells me "there is absolutely NO way to do it", challenge accepted. I wasn't trying to sound harsh, and thanks for the compliment!

Old 05-09-2015, 01:32 PM
davicico
Advanced

Originally Posted by saz
Its all good! I have rolled around the carb swap, but that will be a last result. I just keep hearing local indys saying that you CANNOT get a MM to run correctly.

Believe me I LOVE carbs and the FI thing is new to me, but when someone tells me "there is absolutely NO way to do it", challenge accepted. I wasn't trying to sound harsh, and thanks for the compliment!
Okey Dokey!

And there is absolutely no problem, you didn't sound harsh to me, well, im not american and you know... when someone tries to read/type in a foreign language some sentences may cause a misunderstanding.

Quick Reply: Another EVO! 1996 FLTCUI