EVO All Evo Model Discussion

just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015 | 10:58 AM
Grovit
|
Tourer
Default just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how

hey all. so im not really understanding this.
i have a 97 dyna, fxdl.
just changed my oil and filter.
used wix filter and mobil 1 20w 50

my manual says it takes 3 quarts with a filter change.
so, i drained it completely, replaced filter then filled it with 3 quarts.

i started it and let it run for a min. checked the level and it is way too full.

i let it run for a min and then took it around the block thinking it just needed to cycle through. checked it and it is still way too full.

obviously i can drain a little out to make it to the correct level but i dont know if i should.
does it take more than a few minutes to work its way through the motor and into the filter?

i dont want to drain a bit out and then find the level low once it cycles through.

dont get it

Old 04-06-2015 | 11:04 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member

I just did the same thing with my 09 Dyna,,
3 quarts and it's a half quart over!!
Went back to the book and it does say,,
2 1/2 quarts w/filter change (wet)
3 quarts w/filter (dry)
Where that extra 1/2 quart goes(stays) after the very first fill from a dry factory engine I don't know,, but I did drain it out to get the proper level.

Old 04-06-2015 | 11:17 AM
Grovit
|
Tourer

i dont understand the wet/dry

also, i just went out there and unscrewed my filter and there was no oil in it. i let it run and took it around the block and my filter is still dry. does not seem right.

let me back up.

my oil light is on. has been. i replaced the oil temp sensor and it is still on.
i was worried about there being an issue and maybe oil not reaching the top end but i have been riding the hell out of it.
before this change my level was full and looked clean.

i would have thought if there was no oil reaching the top i would not be able to ride it 60 miles and ive done that a few times.
i thought i was hearing some lifter/pushrod noise. seemed loud to me but when i was up at the shop the other day i was getting some estimates on a few things and one of the techs gave my bike a walk around. i told him my concern with the oil and he had me fire it up. he said it sounded just fine.
i told him my theory on not being able to ride it very far if no oil was reaching the top and he said if no oil was reaching the top i would absolutely know it as it would be impossible to miss it.

so, i dont know what to do.

can you explain the wet/dry?
my book says 3 quarts with filter

Old 04-06-2015 | 11:26 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

I know that after an oil/filter change, my bike takes 1/2 qt less than the manual says. I think someone on here said that it's because you can never get all of the old oil out. IDK if that's true, but it makes sense to me. No clue about the dry filter thing.

Old 04-06-2015 | 11:26 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member

WET - is when you do not change the filter and there is oil in the filter - thus it takes (about 1/2 gt) less
DRY - is when you replace the oil filter and you put in the full amount as specified in the manual

If your oil light is on & you have no oil in a brand new filter - tells me there is no oil pressure or a blockage in a line

Old 04-06-2015 | 11:32 AM
Grovit
|
Tourer

i was worried about oil pressure and it circulating through the motor but i kind of mellowed out after the tech at harley told me there is no way i would be able to ride it and not know that something is wrong.

when i first got it i started a thread here about the light and a couple guys said they had their light pop on on their dyna or evo and they replaced the temp sensor, wires, etc and it didnt kill the light so they either ignored it and rode or killed the light at the bulb and rode it.

i was figuring it was some issue besides pressure/circulation cause i have been riding it.

my wife and i were on it for 65 miles yesterday. a combined weight of about 500 pounds. i didnt hear or feel anything out of the ordinary with the motor. i felt no loss or lack of power.

maybe it is possible i could ride it and not have an issue.

i guess i will have to wait till the harley shop opens tomorrow and get it in.

thats just fantastic....im sure they're gonna hit me hard.

maybe i should just trade the damn thing in for a new bike. i have the money to pay cash but if i do its gonna take most of my savings and i dont really want a new 2014-2015 but i cant be having these problems.

Old 04-06-2015 | 11:42 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

I would put a hd filter on it and see what it does, sounds like it is bypassing the filter.

Old 04-06-2015 | 11:53 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

I think I'd take the bike to a reputable dealership or an indy and have the oil pressure verified before possibly damaging your engine.

Replacing the oil pump and /or cam bearings would be a deal as opposed to replacing an engine.

On all of my Softails (and I've had several and currently have two) when I change the oil and filter, I put TWO quarts in the oil tank and start the engine and let it run until the oil light goes out. I then hold the bike level and add more oil until the level is just at the bottom of the neck for the oil dipstick.
In all, they usually take about 2-1/2 quarts.

If you're over a bit, try using a turkey baster to remove some to adjust the oil level.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 04-06-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-06-2015 | 12:14 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JMC22
WET - is when you do not change the filter and there is oil in the filter - thus it takes (about 1/2 gt) less
DRY - is when you replace the oil filter and you put in the full amount as specified in the manual

If your oil light is on & you have no oil in a brand new filter - tells me there is no oil pressure or a blockage in a line
I would disagree. There is no way Harley's little filter holds half a quart....Just put a 16 oz (half quart) bottle of pop next to the oil filter and see which one is twice as big...

"Dry" is the oil it takes to fill a brand new engine, or one just overhauled, when 100% of the engine is free of oil.

There is always oil left in an engine after removing a drain plug. That is why when you change oil, you put in about a quart less than capacity, start the engine up, then shut it off and let the oil drain down. Then check your dipstick and add what you need to bring to the proper level.

This basic fact is why the Scavenger kit is such a hit with many riders, as the fresh oil flushes the rest of the used oil out of the engine

On my Triumph Tridents, as an example, the oil lines to and from the oil cooler run under the tank, and drop down to the cooler, where they mount on top of the cooler.. There is no way to drain the cooler without removing it from the bike.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 04-06-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2015 | 12:21 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

You should be filling the filter up oil and let it sit for a few minuets before you install it.

Quick Reply: just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how