EVO All Evo Model Discussion

just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015 | 07:11 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior

You're taking the summer off? Git out yer wrenches, take your time, and ask a lot of questions. You'll be so f$%king satisfied, have gained a ton of knowledge, and have a good bike.

Old 04-06-2015 | 07:32 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

lol holy crap this thread is a disaster... this is what happens when you post about your evo in a section full of twinkie riders.

First, dry is a brand new engine, put 2 1/2 quarts in. No need to prime the filter as on all older HD's (evo and on back) the oil hits the engine before the filter. If you're riding around with the oil pressure light on, but that engine hasn't self destructed in 300 miles, you're not getting any return, which means it's not going to go to the filter. I doubt you've done much damage to the engine, as long as that sheared scavenger gear key(s) hasn't made it anywhere.

With all that being said, you have one of the easiest bikes to work on. Shop manual, torque wrench, allen wrenches, 1/2 and 7/16ths sockets, and maybe a screw driver or pick or two, and you can do this in your garage in one day for under $600 bucks, and do a cam swap and B-138 cam bearing upgrade while you're in there. No use crying about it and no sense in selling it... the oil light doesn't lie and you should have trusted it. Only thing left to do is crack it open and see, because it will be cheaper than buying a new bike.

Old 04-06-2015 | 07:51 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
It wouldn't work in his case.

OP it could also be as simple as your oil lines deteriorating.
A while back someone here had one that came apart on the inside (or at least a flap of the inside of the hose came loose) and it blocked oil flow.

Replace your oil lines and see what happens.
Absolutely agree with replace the lines, for peace of mind if nothing else.

Old 04-06-2015 | 07:54 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
lol holy crap this thread is a disaster... this is what happens when you post about your evo in a section full of twinkie riders.
Tman did you ever get your oil leak fixed?

Old 04-06-2015 | 08:00 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
Tman did you ever get your oil leak fixed?
Haven't had the time, and it's up for sale anyways. At 1 or 2 drips per every 100 miles ridden or so, I'm not that concerned about it, and it will be the next guys problem and he WILL know about it. I'm hoping to have an FXRT sitting in the garage soon to do a frame up on, and it will be oil tight.

Old 04-06-2015 | 08:36 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master

Yep that's why I sent Grovit a pm and told him to have a moderator move the thread over here. I don't think some of the posters in this thread have ever seen an Evo motor.

Old 04-06-2015 | 08:40 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ape_Hanger
Yep that's why I sent Grovit a pm and told him to have a moderator move the thread over here. I don't think some of the posters in this thread have ever seen an Evo motor.
You're a good dude then. Like all the other people who make big mistakes in their purchases, including me, we'll get him set straight and rolling down the road.

Old 04-06-2015 | 08:49 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master

You're a good dude then. Like all the other people who make big mistakes in their purchases, including me, we'll get him set straight and rolling down the road.
By the grace of God I lucked out with my bike being as reliable and sound as it is. When I look back, I didn't really know enough about these bikes to really make an informed decision when I bought it 8 years ago. I just knew I wanted an Evo Dyna and to look for the basic no-no signs.

Old 04-06-2015 | 08:51 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

i appreciate all the help guys.

mad at myself too. seen oil lights on in cars and there be no problems. it popped on quickly after i started it the day i bought it but it sat idling and i rode it home 10 miles or so.
before i took off i figured i would have known if there was a problem by the sound.

i guess i was wrong.
i love my bike and do not want to be without it. in the end i will be happy though. the shop might have it a week depending on how busy they are but its still a bit cold most days and its calling for rain all week anyway.

Old 04-06-2015 | 08:57 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Grovit
i appreciate all the help guys.

mad at myself too. seen oil lights on in cars and there be no problems. it popped on quickly after i started it the day i bought it but it sat idling and i rode it home 10 miles or so.
before i took off i figured i would have known if there was a problem by the sound.

i guess i was wrong.
i love my bike and do not want to be without it. in the end i will be happy though. the shop might have it a week depending on how busy they are but its still a bit cold most days and its calling for rain all week anyway.
No need for the shop to have it dude. Save your self some money, and spend a little time getting to know your bike. There is literally nothing hard about these bikes... 350 chevy with the 2 front cylinders cut off is all it is. You know what the inside of the cam chest looks like? Here, let me show you.

That big gear is the cam, small gear under it is the pinion gear off of your crank pin, along with the breather gear. There is a worm gear that sides onto the crank pin held in by a half moon key that drives the gear on that brass looking thing that drives your oil pump. 4 lifters, 2 per hole, 2 push rods per hole going up to a set of rockers. It is so simple it's almost retarded. The heads are held on by 4 12 point bolts for each.

Rocker arms

A gutted rocker box

Get a shop manual, and get after it man.

Quick Reply: just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how