EVO All Evo Model Discussion

just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015 | 06:23 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Grovit
ape, no buyers remorse at all. this is my most favorite thing i have ever owned. i want to keep it forever.
i just cant be in a situation where i take it to the dealer and a best case im looking at 700 bucks. worse case who knows.

ripsaw, i was surprised when they told me how much it would be.
he said assuming all the gears, tappets, key ways etc are ok then it is 440 bucks just for the labor.

Even the older Harleys have hydraulic lifters. If it had no oil pressure, they would have been tapping like crazy. Loud enough at 2000 rpm, you would think it was going to throw a rod. This old system of the filter oil was simple a bypass system and I do not think it even included all the oil. A service manual on ebay for CD is only $10. You can measure and check the oil pump out with a simple filler gage and a $10.00 dial caliper from Harbour freight. Gears for the oil pump are pretty cheap. You would be better off to put $200 to get the oil system working even to sell it. Hope it all work out for you. I am like you when it comes to me knowing what is wrong make me either fix it or state it before selling. I sort of believe in Karma.

Old 04-06-2015 | 06:23 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Grovit
yes, i have the money but i dont want to spend it on a new bike and i also dont want to toss another thou or two into this one at the moment.

only reason i am considering a new bike is all the talk about how i probably did damage to the motor already.
im nervous about spending the money to fix this problem only to face potential problem(s) from the damage i 'probably' did by riding it like this.
im afraid im going to be nervous about something happening while my wife is on it with me.
Dealer won't give you squat with an oil light on not knowing what the problem is

Old 04-06-2015 | 06:25 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Let`s back up a bit...

First, what is the simplest thing that could cause a lack of flow to the oil filter?

Mis routed oil hoses..

So let`s do the simple thing first and trace the oil hoses.

Look at the hoses on the oil pump, there are 2, side by side.

The outboard hose is the oil supply to the pump (oil from the tank goes through this hose to get to the pressure side of the pump).

The inboard hose is the scavenge (return) hose, the oil in this hose is being pumped out of the engine, through the oil filter and then it goes back to the tank.

Can you put your eyeballs on that inboard hose, and trace where it goes?

Old 04-06-2015 | 06:34 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master

I can't seem to make any sense of this. You don't want to pay to fix the bike because you won't be able to take the whole summer off, but you're willing to lose more money in getting rid of the bike than it would be to fix it, just to take on a 5 year loan, which will surely result in you having to go back to work even sooner than the fix the bike and ride it scenario. Seems very counter intuitive to me but you gotta do what makes you happy I guess.

Last edited by Ape_Hanger; 04-06-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2015 | 06:37 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member

Grovit,
1st, I really feel for ya; you've got a tough situation and i hope it all works out OK in the end.

Regarding selling vs. fixing, what do the numbers turn out to be?

Fixing = $1,000 approx., right?
Selling or trading-in in present condition, realistically what is it worth?
Fixing, THEN selling what is it worth? Will you net more cash if you fix & sell?

Time consideration: Just my opinion but unless you're willing to take a beating on the price, I think you're going to have a tough time selling it in its present condition and it'll take a long time. If you have it fixed, now you've got a great bike you can ride right now or sell fairly easily because you've got a documented clean bill of health from your dealer.

Good luck with whatever course you choose.

Old 04-06-2015 | 06:42 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

ripsaw, a couple hundred i would have no problem with. its hearing 600-7000 best case is flipping me out.
the motor most definitely did not sound like that.
i thought it sounded a tad loud, like a car with noisy lifters that i have heard 1,000 times. the harley tech and the tech at the indy shop both said it sounds fine. normal sound.

dan, its raining right now and it is getting dark so i cant go out there right now to look but i was looking earlier and i can see all the hoses. i can trace them but i did not.
also, there are 3 hoses. 2 on top and 1 at the bottom.

the indy dude said it is in, out, and a vent line.
the top lines are on the long side compared to the one below.

im just having a flip out and it is helping just 'talking' it out.
i tend to panic.

i took the ad down and i am going to take it to harley tomorrow and tell them to pls diagnose it and call before making any repairs.
gonna cross my fingers that it comes in on the low side.

i want my bike. this bike.
if i sell it i will take too big a hit cause the light and i am not going to try and hide the fact that its on. that is just not cool.

i might as well pay to fix the bike i love already than to take the same amount of money in the form of a hit and wind up with no bike.

upside is its looking like rain all week so i was not gonna be riding anyway

Old 04-06-2015 | 06:43 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

ape, a good portion is me just freaking out that i did some damage and even after fixing i am going to get an engine surprise with my wife on at 50mph.

im going to have it looked over and fixed. ive just been flipping

Old 04-06-2015 | 06:59 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Let`s back up a bit...

First, what is the simplest thing that could cause a lack of flow to the oil filter?

Mis routed oil hoses..

So let`s do the simple thing first and trace the oil hoses.

Look at the hoses on the oil pump, there are 2, side by side.

The outboard hose is the oil supply to the pump (oil from the tank goes through this hose to get to the pressure side of the pump).

The inboard hose is the scavenge (return) hose, the oil in this hose is being pumped out of the engine, through the oil filter and then it goes back to the tank.

Can you put your eyeballs on that inboard hose, and trace where it goes?
I have to agree with Dan on this one, the lifters would drive you crazy without pressure.
Eliminate the obvious first.
That and I would be talking to the previous owner.
See if he had any problems, see if he would split the cost.

Old 04-06-2015 | 07:02 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Way too much to read here but did anyone suggest getting rid of the idiot light and just pop in a pressure gage?

Old 04-06-2015 | 07:09 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Way too much to read here but did anyone suggest getting rid of the idiot light and just pop in a pressure gage?
It wouldn't work in his case.

OP it could also be as simple as your oil lines deteriorating.
A while back someone here had one that came apart on the inside (or at least a flap of the inside of the hose came loose) and it blocked oil flow.

Replace your oil lines and see what happens.

Quick Reply: just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how