EVO All Evo Model Discussion

just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015 | 03:53 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member

Now yer thinkin Grovit,, wet the filter as a few have dscribed,, there is a thing called air lock too.
I'll bet you'll be fine in short time,, and find it's the oil pressure sending unit that's bad.

Old 04-06-2015 | 04:14 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
I for one, Grovit, will be interested in what you find out at your dealer. If it's true you have no oil in your filter, there's gotta be a major problem, if you have installed a new HD filter. I believe the bypass kicks in only if your filter is plugged, and if so, you would still have oil in the old filter.

If you have installed a non-Harley filter, it could be that the by-pass in it is set at a higher pressure. Regardless of the filter, no way could you be riding your bike for more than a few miles if the oil was not circulating. Your top end would seize for sure, with major damage to your lower end if by chance the engine kept running.

And if by chance, you got screwed on your purchase, you now are gonna screw the next guy after owning this bike for just three weeks? Fix it and ride it, or fix it and sell it. Don't pass the problem down to the next guy. JMHO.

Old Harleys never die. They just become somebody else's spare parts.
Obviously, you haven't read the thread.
Op not out to screw anyone.

Originally Posted by Grovit
my plan is to tell them about the oil light.
my ad is up and it says the light is on

im not hiding anything.

Old 04-06-2015 | 04:29 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

just got back with the harley filter.
gonna try it now and will post results

and i will not screw anyone. i have an ad up and it says the oil light is on. people sell **** with problems all the time.
not like im gonna cut the wire to the light and try to get over on someone.

back in a bit

Old 04-06-2015 | 04:41 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

ok. it didnt work.
i put a couple ounces in the filter and ran it for a minute. unscrewed the filter and it was dry save for the bit i put in that was not soaked up.

so i did what the tech at harley sandusky told me.
i left the filter off and started it. only a couple drops came out of the stem where you screw the filter and i had it on for about 45 seconds and i was giving it some gas.

when i put my hand near the stem i can feel a slight amount of air pushing through the stem but only a couple drops of oil.

so, i guess there is a major problem

Old 04-06-2015 | 04:58 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

There are several good Indy shops up your way that would be considerably less expensive than a Dealer (and considerably less than the discount you'd have to sell it for with an oil pressure problem.)

Old 04-06-2015 | 05:11 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

i only know of 1 indy shop near me and i was there today. he is booked 2 weeks out and his labor rate is 65 an hour.
i would rather pay the extra 15 an hour and take it to harley so i know it is a harley tech working on it and that way they will honor their work

Old 04-06-2015 | 05:15 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member

Originally Posted by JMC22
WET - is when you do not change the filter and there is oil in the filter - thus it takes (about 1/2 gt) less
DRY - is when you replace the oil filter and you put in the full amount as specified in the manual

If your oil light is on & you have no oil in a brand new filter - tells me there is no oil pressure or a blockage in a line
WET is in use, like a normal oil change, with old oil trapped join all the nooks and crannies
DRY is brand new or just rebuilt as in DRY

Old 04-06-2015 | 05:16 PM
oct1949
Club Member

your will have residual oil throughout your system and you sump will hold another 4-6 oz depending on how you drained it... that could/should be about 8-10 ozs..

The book/manual say's 3 qts,, But that when and Before any oil was/is added to a new motor......

Most Softails only take 2 1/2 qts to change engine oil.

I've learned to Drain the bike when oils are warm-hot...
Filter,, I add/pour 5-6 oz into the Filter to help oil circulation faster/quicker on start up before new filter install

then I add 2 1/2 Qts to the oil tank,,,

Start the engine let it run about 3-4 mins.. then check oil level on D-stick.. I only fill it 1/2 way between the LOW and HIGH marks..

Filling to the HIGH mark can and usually makes the oil blow out of the Air Cleaner...

IFFFFF -- you're a little to High,,, Done that, So I bought a Turkey Baster to suck oil out of the tank to get to the 1/2 way level between the dipstick marks..

Last edited by oct1949; 04-06-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2015 | 05:20 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Grovit
i only know of 1 indy shop near me and i was there today. he is booked 2 weeks out and his labor rate is 65 an hour.
i would rather pay the extra 15 an hour and take it to harley so i know it is a harley tech working on it and that way they will honor their work
i understand your train of thought, but Roeders Performance is the same family that used to own the Harley franchise in Norwalk and their reputation goes back decades. And who is this 'Fox' that I just looked up?

Remember too, many excellent Indy's got their start at Dealerships and then left for better money, out on their own. The Dealer is often just a training environment for MMI grads, and unless you're getting their senior tech on your EVO motor, you may just be getting a rookie.

I've been around these things 40 plus years, (including having worked for 4 different Dealerships both here in NC and Ohio,) so word to the wise. Watch yer' back!

Good Luck

Edit: (perhaps at least call a few more guys just to get more opinions?)

Last edited by Stiggy; 04-06-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2015 | 05:25 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

ok so the tech i talked to also said i could try and remove the oil temp sensor and start the bike. he said if there is circulation then i should see oil coming through the hole.
well, nothing at all came up through that hole.

and, i cracked the plastic on the temp sensor. not a big deal i guess but i went to take the wire off that attaches to the sensor and of course i had the ratchet set to the wring direction and when i turn it, i was going tight instead of loose and i cracked it.

not a big deal considering what i am dealing with.

so its either take it to the shop or sell it because there is no circulation apparently. with the bike running no oil shoots out through the stem with the filter off and no oil comes up through the hole for the temp sensor

Quick Reply: just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how