EVO All Evo Model Discussion

just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015 | 02:32 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master

You will have a real hard time selling a bike with the oil light on, unless you're practically are giving it away. You stand to lose more money selling it in it's present condition than getting it repaired or repairing it yourself. Unless of course you're looking for a reason to get rid of it. From the anxiety you had ordering shocks and installing grips it seems like you've had buyers remorse from the start and this may be the final straw for you. It's unfortunate about this oil situation, but you should have brought it to the seller's attention if that light came on 30 seconds after you started it at his house.

Originally Posted by Grovit
looks like im gonna sell it.
thanks guys.

just got off with the cleveland harley shop and the service guy said best case im looking at 600-700 bucks.
if the key ways are sheared or gears are sheared and walked around then im looking at much more money.
money that i cant put into it.

so, it was nice after 37 years to finally have a harley. that lasted about 3 weeks

Old 04-06-2015 | 02:33 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Grovit
my plan is to tell them about the oil light.
my ad is up and it says the light is on

im not hiding anything.
Good on you, you're honourable, which cant be said about the previous owner.

I'd most certainly have first attempted to get my money back from him.

Old 04-06-2015 | 02:37 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

All this over putting too much oil in. No way he rode 300 miles with no oil flowing. It would have locked up the pistons. The EVO puts the oil in the filter after going thru engine. So it's pumping something and it take little to be OK, more more for the cylinders. It had lube. Now the service it getting him for $700 and probably more if he thinks he can. Someone who cannot work on a old probably should not own one. If it needs some oil pump work and not just a light oil sender unit, the pump is right there on the outside.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-06-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2015 | 02:45 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

ape, no buyers remorse at all. this is my most favorite thing i have ever owned. i want to keep it forever.
i just cant be in a situation where i take it to the dealer and a best case im looking at 700 bucks. worse case who knows.

ripsaw, i was surprised when they told me how much it would be.
he said assuming all the gears, tappets, key ways etc are ok then it is 440 bucks just for the labor.

Old 04-06-2015 | 02:49 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

ripsaw, the sandusky harley just called me back. the service guy said he talked to his master tech and the tech said i should change the filter to a harley filter. he said it sounds to him like the filter is not allowing oil to pass through and it is bypassing it and just sumping at the bottom.
i know a couple people have said that.

i can understand it not letting oil pass through but i would have thought when i unscrewed that wix filter that it would not have been dry. while the media might not let oil pass through it, would there not have been some oil in the filter or coming out of the stem?

i guess its possible cause thats what this master tech dude said to try so i am going to head up there and get a filter.

every tech i talk to says there is no way i could ride it like i have been if oil has not been circulating.

Old 04-06-2015 | 02:53 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Did you remove the plastic film over the holes? Some filters have this to keep debris out during storage.
Also, dry is a new engine, wet is after it had oil in it. There's always oil left in the bottom of the engine. (that 1/2 a quart your seeing)

Last edited by RANGER73; 04-06-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2015 | 02:54 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

ranger, there was nothing covering the holes.
heading to get a harley filter
keep you all posted

Old 04-06-2015 | 03:03 PM
Unbalanced Bob
Banned

Very bizarre. Please do keep us posted; I'm intrigued now. Best of luck.

Old 04-06-2015 | 03:04 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

I for one, Grovit, will be interested in what you find out at your dealer. If it's true you have no oil in your filter, there's gotta be a major problem, if you have installed a new HD filter. I believe the bypass kicks in only if your filter is plugged, and if so, you would still have oil in the old filter.

If you have installed a non-Harley filter, it could be that the by-pass in it is set at a higher pressure. Regardless of the filter, no way could you be riding your bike for more than a few miles if the oil was not circulating. Your top end would seize for sure, with major damage to your lower end if by chance the engine kept running.

And if by chance, you got screwed on your purchase, you now are gonna screw the next guy after owning this bike for just three weeks? Fix it and ride it, or fix it and sell it. Don't pass the problem down to the next guy. JMHO.

Old Harleys never die. They just become somebody else's spare parts.

Old 04-06-2015 | 03:41 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

Grovit, This whole situation surely sucks. You might see if you can find someone other than your indy that knows what to look for.....A friend of a friend maybe.Someone that can give you an honest opinion on what is going on.Times are tough....Guys work out of their garages for some extra cash.Check around.Not going to hurt to see if you can find someone that can help....
If you have Craigslist...Run an add looking for a wrench that knows Harleys...Worth a shot. Might also ask around here..Run a thread "looking for a wrench in (your area)....
Good Luck....Dont feel alone.This kind of crap happens to everyone.Some guys will admit it,some wont. Thou, Its never happen's to me....

Quick Reply: just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how