EVO All Evo Model Discussion

just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015 | 01:14 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

there is a harley shop in sandusky that i will head to and get a harley filter i guess.

i still dont totally get it though.

"sounds like the filter is being bypassed. put a harley filter on and see what happens"

"the bypass is in the filter"

going by that though, if the bypass is in the filter, when i take it off(the new one) and see that its bone dry, shouldnt oil still be leaking out of the stem(where the filter screws to)

Old 04-06-2015 | 01:26 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

I think you've got bigger problems than that. Here's what I'd do to check it:

Pull the plugs and loosen the oil pressure sensor (right side front, tucked in behind the front exhaust pipe, just in front of the cam cover.) It just unscrews. Loosen it until its almost free of the motor and push the starter. With the plugs out it'll turn over easily and with the sensor loose the oil should be seriously leaking out from the sensor. If its not, then you've got an oil pump problem. I doubt its the filter, but if you buy another you'll use it later anyway.

Old 04-06-2015 | 01:31 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I think you've got bigger problems than that. Here's what I'd do to check it:

Pull the plugs and loosen the oil pressure sensor (right side front, tucked in behind the front exhaust pipe, just in front of the cam cover. It just unscrews. Loosen it until its almost free of the motor and push the starter. With the plugs out it'll turn over easily and with the sensor loose the oil should be seriously leaking out from the sensor. If its not, then you've got an oil pump problem.

I don't understand the logic in over half of these responses. If there is no oil in the filter you got a problem and should not run it until that problem is fixed. Glad you are taking to a dealer but the suggestion above might help diagnose the issue. No matter what filter or oil you are running there should be oil in the filter. If not, it means you are not circulating oil in your engine. If you are running synthetic your engine will keep running without oil and with residual oil for some time but eventually you will have damage and your motor will cease to run. I would imagine you have already done damage to your motor. My money is on a bad pump.

Old 04-06-2015 | 01:31 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

im gonna go get a harley filter for ***** and gigs but take it to the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at unless i decide to sell it.

of course an oil pump/circulation problem is what makes sense. what does not make sense is the pump is not working and oil is not circulating, how and the hell have i been able to ride it?
the light has been on since the day i got it.
in 3 weeks i have probably put about 300 miles on it. maybe a bit less.
yesterday i was on with my wife and we rode is 65 miles.
no strange sounds or knocks. harley tech said it sounds fine.

while the oil pump being bad makes sense, what does not make sense is that the motor is not crazy loud or totally screwed up

Old 04-06-2015 | 01:32 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JMC22
WET - is when you do not change the filter and there is oil in the filter - thus it takes (about 1/2 gt) less
DRY - is when you replace the oil filter and you put in the full amount as specified in the manual
Nope,
NOTE
Use wet capacity for engines that have just had the oil
drained. Use dry capacity for engines that have been disassembled,
cleaned in solvent and dried.

Old 04-06-2015 | 01:34 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rocket67

No matter what filter or oil you are running there should be oil in the filter. If not, it means you are not circulating oil in your engine. If you are running synthetic your engine will keep running without oil and with residual oil for some time but eventually you will have damage and your motor will cease to run. I would imagine you have already done damage to your motor. My money is on a bad pump.

i just filled it with mobil 1 20w 50.
i dont know what type of oil was in it before.
im gonna let it sit till tomorrow and then just take it to the dealer and get an estimate.

Old 04-06-2015 | 01:43 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Grovit
how and the hell have i been able to ride it?
the light has been on since the day i got it.
in 3 weeks i have probably put about 300 miles on it. maybe a bit less.
yesterday i was on with my wife and we rode is 65 miles.
no strange sounds or knocks. harley tech said it sounds fine.
Just because you drained the oil does not mean that there is not oil in the motor, it's just not circulating. Some parts will wear worse than others. I agree that 300 miles is a long way to go without oil but between splash and the oil in the crankase you are likely getting some additional lubrication. I don't know if the lifters are solid or hydraulic but my guess is if they were hydraulic this thing would be making all kinds of noise. Are you saying you bought it with the light on? Chances are the guy you bought it from knew what was wrong with it then.

Old 04-06-2015 | 01:43 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

They tell you three quarts so you will have enough to top off later till you change it again. Never ever pour it all in at the same time. Drain and replace filter. Dump in two. Start it for one minute and top off half way between marks on stick. Then the first time you get it fully heated on a hard run, top off to top of stick. What I do. Then I have never seen it get to mid stick between changes. It's like a fifth of JD for a 3 day week end. Surely, you do not dump it all Friday night do you?

Old 04-06-2015 | 01:46 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

yeah, the light was on

i went and looked at it. the guy i bought it from pulled it out and i fired it up. i let it run for like 15 minutes while i checked it out and the light was not on
i went back the next day to pick it up and exchange money and about 30 seconds after i started it the light came on and it has been on ever since.

im waiting on a call back from the dealer with a price on parts and labor for an oil pump r&r. depending on what he says i will probably just sell it.

ive been picking up little stuff here and there for it but i cant drop say a grand tomorrow to fix an oil pump.
if it comes in at a steep estimate im gonna have to dump it off

Old 04-06-2015 | 01:50 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

To me, it's like when I change my oil in my car. I know what the manual says to put in it but I usually put in a little less than called for, start up my car and let it run for a little bit, shut it off and let it sit for a little bit and then recheck the oil level and add more if I need it, been doing it that way for many years.

Quick Reply: just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how