EVO All Evo Model Discussion

just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015 | 12:25 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
You should be filling the filter up oil and let it sit for a few minuets before you install it.

Plus 1. Once the filter absorbs the oil, you can hold it horizontally and install it without losing a drop.

Old 04-06-2015 | 12:26 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member

That seems to be the case with my Limited. When I changed the oil and filter at the 500 mile mark, I was good to go after adding about 3 quarts. Capacity is 4 qts, as stated in the book.
Would be interesting to run the scavenger to see how much more oil gets pushed out.

Old 04-06-2015 | 12:44 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master

Wet includes all the oil left in the oil journals that deliver the oil throughout the engine, oil cooler if you have one, oil in the hydraulic lifters as well as oil trapped in some nooks and crannies that will not drain. Even though there is old used oil still left in the engine it is diluted enough by the new oil and normally poses no risk.

Old 04-06-2015 | 12:47 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior

Dry is new engine, never get all the out of one. Just keep checking it until full

Old 04-06-2015 | 12:51 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

so i dont think it is circulating.
i rode it about 5 miles to an indy shop. the dude is like 2 weeks behind but i gave him 20 bucks and he took a look.

the filter is still dry. no oil in it.
he pulled the screen out(the flat head looking screw on the top of the crank case) and that was clean.
he checked the oil and it is still high and the oil looks like it just came out of the bottle.
he said it looks like it is not circulating through. he said that even though it is new oil it should look somewhat 'dirty' after passing through the motor and its not.

so it looks like my oil is not passing through the motor.
sucks.

i have no problem taking the filter off and draining a few ounces out of the motor and putting it in the filter before i put it back on. if i do that though the filter will be full but the oil would still not be circulating through.

i dont know what to do.
if i take it to harley they are going to have it for who knows how long and charge who knows how much.

i guess i dont have a choice.

Old 04-06-2015 | 12:51 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

I've got to agree with the thought the filter is being bypassed, install an HD oil filter and as others have already stated, preload it with oil before you install it, takes about 4 ounces of oil. The though of having your oil pressure verified is a good one and while it's not going to help you today, consider adding one of these little gems, it's always the first addition I make to all my HD's and it removes a lot of potential questions Here's the link for the Evolution kit for your '97: http://www.jerzeecustoms.com/HDOilTrimKitEVOBigTwin.htm http://www.jerzeecustoms.com/HDProducts.htm

Old 04-06-2015 | 12:53 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior

I would quit running the damn thing before you fark it up!!!!

Old 04-06-2015 | 12:59 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

its parked.

how is installing a harley filter going to help?
if it is being bypassed then it will still be bypassed if it is a harley filter
correct?

Old 04-06-2015 | 01:04 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master

Are you sure you got the correct oil filter? The micron ratings for Evo and Twin Cams aren't the same and running a Twinkie filter on an Evo isn't good. They can cause pressure buildup and have oil weeping and coming out of places it wasn't before and can damage seals.

Also, don't run synthetic oil in your Evo. Others here with Twinkies may disagree with me on this but they weren't designed to use synthetic oil and from my experience conventional oil is the way to go with our older motors. When I tried synthetic oil, it made the motor noisy and caused some of the seals and gaskets to weep which is something my motor didn't do before and hasn't since switching back to dino oil.

2 1/2 quarts, run it and check it hot. If it's between the lines your good to go. I buy 5 quarts of Valvoline VR1 50W at O'Reilly's Auto Parts and 2 oil filters from the local HD dealership every spring. Oil filter part number is 63812-90.

Originally Posted by Grovit
hey all. so im not really understanding this.
i have a 97 dyna, fxdl.
just changed my oil and filter.
used wix filter and mobil 1 20w 50

my manual says it takes 3 quarts with a filter change.
so, i drained it completely, replaced filter then filled it with 3 quarts.

i started it and let it run for a min. checked the level and it is way too full.

i let it run for a min and then took it around the block thinking it just needed to cycle through. checked it and it is still way too full.

obviously i can drain a little out to make it to the correct level but i dont know if i should.
does it take more than a few minutes to work its way through the motor and into the filter?

i dont want to drain a bit out and then find the level low once it cycles through.

dont get it

Old 04-06-2015 | 01:06 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

The bipass is built into the filter. If the filter clogs oil will circulate if its working properly

Quick Reply: just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how