EVO All Evo Model Discussion

just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015 | 11:22 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ape_Hanger
So you figured showing him the oil relief valve for a Twinkie would steer him in the right direction despite the fact he has an Evo? Right, that wouldn't be confusing at all for a new Harley owner. Why not show him a diagram of a Shovelhead points and condenser? Maybe how to properly kickstart a Panhead?

I'm not trying to go out of my way to be a dick here, but good grief there's as much bad info in this thread as the op-ed section of The Huffington Post. I'm no Evo expert, but I actually own one. I've never owned or wrenched on a Twin Cam so you better believe I won't be telling someone what they need to do to fix cam chain tensioners or diagnose error codes or where the best place is to go for a Chrome Consultation.
doing a great job without trying, yep all oil relief valves look similar, springloded plunger, been a few years since I worked on a evo , and did forget it was exteral pump , and the relief valve is pretty easy to get at, but if you think a points and condenser look like a relief valve maybe YOUR advice isn't too sounds either.

Last edited by SIDECAR BOB; 04-07-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2015 | 11:30 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
(Think this is now correct) Harley motors kept changing over the years. Knuckle, Pan, Shovel, Evo (Evolution), Twin Cam (some call a twinkie or TC... there is also a TCb in the Softails that has two balance cams to balance the engine besides the twin valve cams)
Oil filter to come along was on the EVO probably due to competition. When the Twin Cam came along, Harley went to an internal oil pump and the oil thru the filter and then to the engine. Balance cams on a TCb. EVO oil pump and oil feed system
#15 and 16 , too bad I couldn't find that pic yesterday

Old 04-07-2015 | 11:44 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB
doing a great job without trying, yep all oil relief valves look similar, springloded plunger, been a few years since I worked on a evo , and did forget it was exteral pump , and the relief valve is pretty easy to get at, but if you think a points and condenser look like a relief valve maybe YOUR advice isn't too sounds either.
Nice attempt at a save but I think you know exactly where I was going with the comparison.

Old 04-07-2015 | 12:05 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ape_Hanger
Nice attempt at a save but I think you know exactly where I was going with the comparison.
yeah you don't know oil system from electrical, not gonna play this game with you , I get it, not the best pic I used, but it does show what the oil relief valve looks like but still a good place to start looking for this particular issue.

Old 04-07-2015 | 12:24 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Thanks for your contribution Bob,

Bye

Old 04-07-2015 | 12:34 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB
yeah you don't know oil system from electrical, not gonna play this game with you , I get it, not the best pic I used, but it does show what the oil relief valve looks like but still a good place to start looking for this particular issue.
I wasn't playing a game, I was pointing out the inaccurate info that you posted with sarcasm. Nothing more, nothing less.

Grovit posted a problem he didn't understand and was looking for help. He's new to Harley's and hasn't yet learned the in's and out's of his bike and how it differs from other years and models. People posting Twin Cam solutions to Evo problems aren't helping him out any, and will only further the frustration he's having. If you can't understand that SIDECAR BOB, I'm not sure there's anything further I can do to spell it out any clearer.

Old 04-07-2015 | 05:58 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

decided to trade it in.
got a 2015 dyna

Old 04-07-2015 | 06:11 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

The rags............ it's already leaking?!

Old 04-07-2015 | 06:12 PM
Grovit
|
Tourer

hahah.
nah man
thats from the oil change yesterday and just wiping **** down. just left em there

Old 04-07-2015 | 06:23 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

how much did you give the 97 away for?

Quick Reply: just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how