EVO All Evo Model Discussion

just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015 | 05:56 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Grovit
schex, when i took the wire off the oil pressure switch the light went off.

tman, if i had a garage i would probably try to dig into this myself but i have no place to work on it. my bike sits outside under the harley cover.
im gonna have to take it in. i cant risk taking it apart and then have issues putting it back together or possibly messing something up or being in the middle of it and having the rain come.

the weather up here is so god damn strange. yesterday it called for no rain and sunny. i figured i would change the oil and about 30 seconds after i got into it, it started raining. came down off and on all day.
i had to sit there half under the cover myself when i was getting the filter off.
it was quite a site.

came in and checked weather again and it said mosty cloudy and rain.

its been known to be decent out 1 day and then into the night and next day the snow comes as late as may.
if i have to stop every so often cause the weather it will just add to the problem.

i do appreciate all the advice guys.
lotsa knowledge around these parts

I was under the impression that you already took it to the shop.
If you do let us know what they say and we can tell you if they are blowing smoke up your ***.

Old 04-07-2015 | 06:03 AM
Grovit
|
Tourer

i took it to the indy dude knowing he was only going to look at it for a few minutes and talked to service at sandusky and cleveland harley. my local shop is closed on mondays.
i was going to take it to them today and drop it off so they can get into it as soon as possible but it is already pouring outside so i guess i wont be taking it today.

as soon as the rain stops i am going to get it up there.

i just hope it winds up being cheaper than a thou or 2

have to tell them if/when they drain the oil to save it and put it back in cause i just put it in yesterday. i need them to charge me for as few things as possible

Old 04-07-2015 | 06:10 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

i took it to the indy dude knowing he was only going to look at it for a few minutes and talked to service at sandusky and cleveland harley. my local shop is closed on mondays.
i was going to take it to them today and drop it off so they can get into it as soon as possible but it is already pouring outside so i guess i wont be taking it today.

have to tell them if/when they drain the oil to save it and put it back in cause i just put it in yesterday. i need them to charge me for as few things as possible
As I said before good luck and let us know what they say.

Old 04-07-2015 | 06:31 AM
Grovit
|
Tourer

for sure i will keep you all posted.

Old 04-07-2015 | 08:12 AM
falconbrother
Road Master

I know it's been said already but, always add oil to a filter before you screw it down, or up. If oil isn't getting to the filter that would scare the crap out of me. I wouldn't ride it. I had a buddy who's oil pump fragged on a Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan and he rode it home. Of course it "blew up" so to speak. Yes, he did get a surprising number of miles out of it with no oil pressure before it lunched on it's self.

Harbor Freight sells an oil pressure tester kit. I would think it could be made to work on HD. I always try to fix things myself before taking to a shop.

Last edited by falconbrother; 04-07-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-07-2015 | 08:17 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

i have to tell them if/when they drain the oil to save it and put it back in cause i just put it in yesterday. i need them to charge me for as few things as possible
You do not want to do that. Once oil goes in, washes through engine and is dumped in bottom of motor, it could pick up debris on the bottom of the engine. Remember, as designed, oil coming from your oil tank goes directly through the oil pump gears, then through engine and then to filter and then back to oil tank. Only clean new oil into oil tank on any Harley. On the newer ones, Harley did send it to the filter before engine but even there not to all places. The oil pump still gets the oil straight from the oil tank and there is no screen even there on any I have seen. Does anyone know out there is there was a filter system on the motor that the EVO evolved from. (Pan, then Knuckle, then EVO I think ) Was there a external filter on the Pan or Knuckle) Would not hurt to leave filter on. The Harley filter you put on, did it say 5 or 10 micron. Know when mine was designed, it called for a 10 but Harleys replacement is 5. That is what the WIX is a 5. 5 micron = .0002 ... A 10 micron = .0004 .... A sheet of school white notebook paper is .002

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-07-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-07-2015 | 08:45 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by falconbrother
I know it's been said already but, always add oil to a filter before you screw it down, or up. If oil isn't getting to the filter that would scare the crap out of me. I wouldn't ride it. I had a buddy who's oil pump fragged on a Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan and he rode it home. Of course it "blew up" so to speak. Yes, he did get a surprising number of miles out of it with no oil pressure before it lunched on it's self.

Harbor Freight sells an oil pressure tester kit. I would think it could be made to work on HD. I always try to fix things myself before taking to a shop.
Not necessary at all on an evo. Can do it if you want to, but it doesn't do anything.

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
You do not want to do that. Once oil goes in, washes through engine and is dumped in bottom of motor, it could pick up debris on the bottom of the engine. Remember, as designed, oil coming from your oil tank goes directly through the oil pump gears, then through engine and then to filter and then back to oil tank. Only clean new oil into oil tank on any Harley. On the newer ones, Harley did send it to the filter before engine but even there not to all places. The oil pump still gets the oil straight from the oil tank and there is no screen even there on any I have seen. Does anyone know out there is there was a filter system on the motor that the EVO evolved from. (Pan, then Knuckle, then EVO I think ) Was there a external filter on the Pan or Knuckle) Would not hurt to leave filter on. The Harley filter you put on, did it say 5 or 10 micron. Know when mine was designed, it called for a 10 but Harleys replacement is 5. That is what the WIX is a 5. 5 micron = .0002 ... A 10 micron = .0004 .... A sheet of school white notebook paper is .002
This right here. IF you're that worried about the cost go pick up a gallon of Rotella T 15w-40.

Old 04-07-2015 | 09:04 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master

Take RIPSAW and tman's advice here Grovit and put fresh oil in it. The cost of 3 quarts of oil is well worth it.

Old 04-07-2015 | 09:04 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

I missed this if already mentioned but doesn't he just need to pull and check the oil pump and keys? Oil isn't moving if there was a blockage there would be oil coming out the pressure switch he pulled that had no oil coming out.

Old 04-07-2015 | 09:10 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kp877
I missed this if already mentioned but doesn't he just need to pull and check the oil pump and keys? Oil isn't moving if there was a blockage there would be oil coming out the pressure switch he pulled that had no oil coming out.
You would be correct.

Quick Reply: just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how