just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015 | 09:00 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Grovit
i appreciate all the help guys.

mad at myself too. seen oil lights on in cars and there be no problems. it popped on quickly after i started it the day i bought it but it sat idling and i rode it home 10 miles or so.
before i took off i figured i would have known if there was a problem by the sound.

i guess i was wrong.
i love my bike and do not want to be without it. in the end i will be happy though. the shop might have it a week depending on how busy they are but its still a bit cold most days and its calling for rain all week anyway.
Good luck.

Old 04-06-2015 | 09:02 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master

has anyone had you check the pressure relief valve on the oil pump ,, sounds as if it may be stuck open, causing low oil pressure, but it would still be pumping oil, just not as much, I am thinking it could possible be low enough to not be able to fill the filter and bypass it too. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...-001-label.jpg show a picture where it is located.

Last edited by SIDECAR BOB; 04-06-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2015 | 09:21 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior

That's a cam support plate out of a twin cam. The link you provided shows a twin cam B motor. The OP is confused enough already without that kind of help. :-)

Old 04-06-2015 | 09:24 PM
Schex
Supporter
Supporter

First thing, disconnect the wire from the oil pressure switch and turn the key on, the light should be off, if it stays on you have a wiring problem.

It would help to post a few pictures of your oil lines, oil pump and filter bracket.

Old 04-06-2015 | 09:33 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Hey guys I know it is hard to find with all the crap that has been posted but here is the important stuff.
1) He pulled the filter and ran the motor for about 45 seconds and got 2 drops of oil.
2) He pulled the oil pressure switch and fired up the motor and nothing came out.

Or at least that's all I could find that he did.

Old 04-06-2015 | 09:35 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks THC... the twinkie rider bull **** in this thread never ends.

Old 04-06-2015 | 09:46 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master

Seriously??? If you're gonna post technical advice, at least try to have a basic understanding of what's being discussed.

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB

has anyone had you check the pressure relief valve on the oil pump ,, sounds as if it may be stuck open, causing low oil pressure, but it would still be pumping oil, just not as much, I am thinking it could possible be low enough to not be able to fill the filter and bypass it too. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...-001-label.jpg show a picture where it is located.

Old 04-06-2015 | 10:12 PM
Schex
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Hey guys I know it is hard to find with all the crap that has been posted but here is the important stuff.
1) He pulled the filter and ran the motor for about 45 seconds and got 2 drops of oil.
2) He pulled the oil pressure switch and fired up the motor and nothing came out.

Or at least that's all I could find that he did.
I didn't see that, after the first page of dry and wet capacities, I skipped to where the Evo guys started posting and making sense.

but I still would have started with verifying the oil light without running the engine... anyway

Last edited by Schex; 04-06-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-06-2015 | 10:21 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Old 04-07-2015 | 05:44 AM
Grovit
|
Tourer

schex, when i took the wire off the oil pressure switch the light went off.

tman, if i had a garage i would probably try to dig into this myself but i have no place to work on it. my bike sits outside under the harley cover.
im gonna have to take it in. i cant risk taking it apart and then have issues putting it back together or possibly messing something up or being in the middle of it and having the rain come.

the weather up here is so god damn strange. yesterday it called for no rain and sunny. i figured i would change the oil and about 30 seconds after i got into it, it started raining. came down off and on all day.
i had to sit there half under the cover myself when i was getting the filter off.
it was quite a site.

came in and checked weather again and it said mosty cloudy and rain.

its been known to be decent out 1 day and then into the night and next day the snow comes as late as may.
if i have to stop every so often cause the weather it will just add to the problem.

i do appreciate all the advice guys.
lotsa knowledge around these parts

Quick Reply: just changed my oil. level too full and i dont understand why/how