EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Trouble Finding Year of S&S engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015 | 03:05 PM
o0smitters0o
|
Cruiser
Default Trouble Finding Year of S&S engine

Can anybody tell me a sure fire way of telling if an S&S engine was built by S&S or pieced together with all S&S parts. The bike is listed as 1997 but I know the engine is pre 93 Evo. In a Heritage frame not sure where the frame came from. Dad passed away so have no idea other than it's a bad custom job from some Idaho shop I don't know the name or even if they still exist. Since I own a 08 Dyna TC. Thought I would like to keep engine and start over. But need options or resources. S&S said it was 1984-1993 which is quite a span. Any pointers, directions, ideas would be appreciated.

Old 04-03-2015 | 06:50 PM
Gliden
Club Member

There is a you tube video by s&s that covers that.

Old 04-03-2015 | 10:26 PM
o0smitters0o
|
Cruiser
Default Dads S&S Heritage

Thank you Gliden I came across that video. My casing doesn't have as many characters as the video shows. I seem to be missing characters according to video. I have vin from title but can't find it on bike. Whats protocol on shop built bikes for VIN placement. I've yet took look in at the fly wheel markings, I'm hoping that will give me more in sight. If S&S built the engine or built fly wheel up by some shop.

As far as I can tell L means Long Stroke

I'm new to EVO's but that bolt should enable me to read fly wheel numbers.

Dads Custom Shop S&S Heritage its been sitting a while.

Its been sitting a while<br/>

Old 04-03-2015 | 10:34 PM
o0smitters0o
|
Cruiser

Gliden what do think of that S&S 106" upgrade! Wish I went that route I've heard good things about it. That Street Glide looks good! Any worries on pinion shaft run out with that power.

Old 04-04-2015 | 04:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member

That number on your cases starting 'X' is your clue. Simply email S&S and ask if it relates to a crate engine they built or a set of empty cases. I have found them to be prompt and helpful with answering queries. The star at each end of that number is intended to be anti-tamper, suggesting to me it is your engine number. I have a later S&S engine and the number on it also has a star at each end, although it has more characters than yours and is a dot matrix. So I reckon you have a crate engine there.

Last edited by grbrown; 04-04-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-04-2015 | 05:34 AM
o0smitters0o
|
Cruiser

I didn't find them as helpful at first. There site has nothing on the early stuff, just the new engines. The guy on phone at S&S said between 84 to 93. But before I got that out of him he kept telling me I didn't have enough characters over and over. I kept telling him im looking right at it. Finally I think he got an answer from someone the it is early Evo. Which I knew because of the breather down low not a tube over carb like 94 and up. Is there much difference between the different early models. I'll know for sure when I look in that fly wheel peep hole. I want to build road king out of it but need to know if it will fit if I find decent frame. Can't find S&S manual don't really want clymer. Thank you for in put best news I got in a while. Was hoping it wasn't piece meal.

Old 04-04-2015 | 05:49 AM
o0smitters0o
|
Cruiser

Those numbers are in both sides of casing. From that video I think trying to read fly wheel markings will give me best answer. If they even marked them back then. I see you all over this the forums. Last was Bakers new upgrade in trans primary forum, it's calm people like you that give decent advice that make this site. You are right EVO forum is a lot calmer. People were getting heated about the smallest stuff.

Old 04-04-2015 | 06:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Thanks for the compliment! I've been around Harleys rather a long time. If I read their website correctly the crankshaft number will tell you what capacity it is, but I don't think it will be any more help. It also tells us which family of engines it is made for, not which year it was manufactured.

For my engine I have a service manual which came with the engine, which is similar in style and layout to a MoCo one and very good. I haven't had to use it, as so far the engine has been fine and needed nothing more than routine service. Hopefully yours will do the same for you!

Old 04-04-2015 | 06:33 AM
o0smitters0o
|
Cruiser

My dad passed away in 2007 I've tinked around with it. Now it's sat to long I should of pulled the oil a while ago. I ride my Dyna but loved to kick start that thing when it ran good. Something about getting the kicker in that perfect position and starting it on first try. I'm not a huge guy but when you know how to do it you don't end up ejected from the seat or shin splint. i always got that look like did that kid just kick that bike over. Unfortunately that bike is a crappy build from a shop I have no way of finding. To lower it the only put 1 of the shocks on bottom. My dad layer over twice, so I'll salvage some but I have suspicion frame may be a little off. I'm selling wheels any idea what those might go for. White walls are brand new and the mags are heavy duty. But I'm keeping engine are all early EVO's 4 speed

Old 04-04-2015 | 06:37 AM
o0smitters0o
|
Cruiser

That video seemed to indicate that they could tell you if it was sold by it self or part of a crate engine. Maybe I miss understood. Appreciate your help and knowledge.

Quick Reply: Trouble Finding Year of S&S engine