EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What's your preference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:49 PM
wombat457
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 188 Posts
Default What's your preference?

Ever since I started riding, back in 92 or 93, I've always or predominantly ridden alone. Nowadays, I still prefer to ride alone and not to have to worry about other people. That kinda sounds selfish I guess but I pretty much like to go and stop where and when I want. I'm not all that much into highway riding either so that kinda limits having a riding mate where I am anyway.

Anyway, I was wondering what you guys prefer, riding one up or in small groups, with a mate or club rides etc.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:01 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Solo, if my wife wants to hop on the back that's cool. I have a small group of people from church that I ride with once or twice a year. Large group rides with strangers are a no go for me.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:13 PM
jekyllandglide
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've done the majority of my riding alone. Back in the day I'd ride behind my dad (how I got started riding). I would say if I am with 1 or 2 people I trust then I am fine. But I don't prefer to ride in large packs because inevitably there are gonna be enough idiots to make it a PITA. Either trying to show off, slingshot-ing, can't maintain their line in their lane and so on. A couple years ago I took a 3000 mi trip and when people asked who I was going with and I told them no one they were all flabbergasted. I wouldn't mind riding with 1 or 2 other people, but I don't know anyone...so alone I go!

Old 04-02-2015, 11:15 PM
wombat457
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 188 Posts

Ape Hangar,

Have to admit, I'd love to ride with my wife but she is real nervous about getting on the bike. I don't rally blame her but it would be nice to do some day rides with her.

I used to ride with one of my wife's cousins. He and I rode well together and both of us had a similar mind set - to enjoy the ride rather than belting from point A to point B as fast as possible. He did that on his own but respected our riding manner as well.

EVOLFXD,

Sounds like you and I are alike. I don't mind riding with 1 or 2 other people I know and trust, but as for large groups, well, you hit the nail on the head about that.

At the end of last year, I went on one of those day ride meet things with about 700 other riders and that was scary. I hated the day as all we seemed to be doing was playing catch up all the time and travelling at 75 to 80 isn't my thing at all. Wasn't scared by the speeds, just spent all my time watching out for other riders and wondering what in hell they were doing or going to do. I learnt within the first mile or so that the people around me were too interested in "day dreaming" and were all over the place and changing speeds like most people change their under wear, not to mention those who just had to ride along side you then forget you are there on a curve - not fun and hard to avoid with so many people. That one day turned me off that sort of riding forever!

Add to that I don't know anyone around my area either, at least no one who I'd want to ride with so riding alone is really my only option.

Know what you mean about peoples reactions to long distance riding. Never done a ride over 500 miles one way, but even I got some strange looks when I said I was doing that distance alone and in one day. This year I'd love to do the Parkway Ride and the Dragons Tail just for the experience. Not sure how far the round trip would be but I know it would be an 8 day ride just to do the Parkway. Biggest headache I'd have about doing that ride would be my wife sitting at home worrying like hell about me, especially doing it alone.

Last edited by wombat457; 04-02-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:35 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My later years have been alone after many miles. In the 50-60's I rode mostly alone, 70's w/one or two close friends, 80's with one close friend, 90's packed wife double, 00's alone again, 10's w/occasional friend rider. However, I have been on 5-10+ day rides alone and kinda enjoy it, you always meet people on the way. I grew up alone and live alone, so it doesn't brother me like some others. I tried the HOG group rides, 2 of them in the 80-90's solved that.
Preference??....at my age, any ride is kool, alone or couple friends!

Last edited by Holster Maker; 04-03-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:37 AM
Aussiemadness
Cruiser
Received 69 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah I would do 60% of my riding alone, only been on Harleys for 30yrs so only new to all this
Have taken off for 3 -4 weeks alone all over NSW and Queensland and the same for Western Australia.
I started a small Social club over here 3 yrs ago, close bunch of mates who I would ride anywhere with, riding with 20 mates in a pack is mind blowing when you can trust how they ride....that's my other 30%.
The rest would be with my wife or kids on the back.

Dave.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:16 AM
KozmoSoftail98
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I do both so I don't have a definitive answer. I have ridden alone more than with a group. I enjoy both but the group ride can be more nerve wracking. My latest experience was with a very small group which I was leading. My friend at the end of the group drove off the road and died. A year later, I was leading again and someone skidded off the road with minor injuries. Needless to say, I haven't ridden with anyone else since then.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:27 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

I ride with my buddies of 30+ years.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:39 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,577 Likes on 10,773 Posts

Almost 100% of the time it is solo. It adds a freedom of doing what I want, when I want and that to me is of tremendous value.

Only recently have I decided to do some riding again with others. May need to change up things.

It has been quite a long time since anyone join me as I ride around the USA/Canada on my annual ride and this one guy would like to come with me so I am taking one person (possibly 2) around with me and we will see how it goes.

Like most anything else there are pros and cons. In an effort to change how I am, I have decided to enjoy the "pros" of the, camaraderie with another rider with me.

I think if you were to search the forum you will see posts and in particular polls to this effect.

Have a great day my friend!

BuzzCap7

Old 04-03-2015, 08:03 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Cool to see so many like minded riders.. I rarely ride with others. In fact, I generally dislike it.. I have a good buddy that I'll go with occasionally, maybe 1% of the time when our schedules work out.. The occasional ride with my parents or when my son decides to go for a quick scoot... Other than that, 98% of the time, I'm by myself and absoloutely love it.... I don't have an intercom or CB, so we don't talk. When riding with someone else, I tend to watch them in the mirrors and plan my lane changes and starts much more differently. It just feels un natural.. Then throw in the fact that everyone always has a different schedule for **** breaks, drink breaks, food, etc... I just did a Key West trip, by myself over Thanksgiving and had the time of my life.. I went where I wanted, when I wanted and did things that I would have never talked the wife and kid into.. The freedom just dovetails into the Harley mystique.. That was my longest trip so far, got many more on my mind for the future.. Just need to plan my time..

Quick Reply: What's your preference?