EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Wrist pin clip fail

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 08:40 PM
myke99
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrist pin clip fail

Damaged front cylinder in my 80" EVO when the clip fell out but it was wasn't ran for long like this. I thought I had them in tight but was wrong on one as it came out. This is a fresh build with maybe a mile on it.

The cylinder has two groves from the pin and is likely a write off from what my machinist said, he figures it is oval shaped now.

My question is about replacing just the front cylinder with another good used one.

The barrels were both stock bore 3.498" so the rear one is like new. I would have the pair bored out a bit as I have to buy new pistons anyway. I just hate buying a pair of cylinders if I can just install a single.

I am getting my bottom end rebuilt and balanced as the pin jammed and now it has quite a wobble so I would like to save money where I can.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:48 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by myke99
My question is about replacing just the front cylinder with another good used one.

The barrels were both stock bore 3.498" so the rear one is like new. I would have the pair bored out a bit as I have to buy new pistons anyway. I just hate buying a pair of cylinders if I can just install a single.
I would get another cylinder and then bore them to match just as you are thinking about doing.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:54 PM
myke99
Advanced

Thanks texashillcountry, I could not see an issue with this as I am boring and replacing the pistons anyway.

Thanks for the response.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:57 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Thanks texashillcountry, I could not see an issue with this as I am boring and replacing the pistons anyway.

Thanks for the response.
One thing you might think about is painting both of them at the same time so that the color matches on both jugs.

Just a thought.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:32 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how deep is the groove from the pin only a mile on it cant be to bad. I bougt a motor a few years ago same problem the guy rode it till it lost all compression and I was still able to use the cylinder at .020 over.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:45 PM
myke99
Advanced

D_gyver - I thought I would be able to bore 20 or 30 thou but my machinist thinks the cylinder is out of round and would cause issues. I will look at it again with him to make certain.

texashillcountry - I just happen to have a fresh can of wrinkle black that will come in handy if I do replace the cylinder.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:57 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

D_gyver - I thought I would be able to bore 20 or 30 thou but my machinist thinks the cylinder is out of round and would cause issues. I will look at it again with him to make certain.

texashillcountry - I just happen to have a fresh can of wrinkle black that will come in handy if I do replace the cylinder.

if hes checking the cylinder on the bench it will be out of round he has to use torque plates to check the cylinders

Old 02-17-2015, 03:29 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And if it is out of round, he should be able to rebore to round again -- with torque plates. Is this a Harley-experienced machinist?

Old 02-17-2015, 04:12 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Isn't "out of round" more of a long term wear issue? I understand the damage from the clip, but not an "out of round" situation on new or freshly bored cylinders.

Yes, I agree cylinders need to be checked on torque plates. YD

Old 02-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,449 Likes on 5,034 Posts

Are you sure the clip came out due to improper installation?

Make sure the connecting rod is straight, if it is not, it will spit the clip out.

Quick Reply: Wrist pin clip fail