EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Carb Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:10 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Carb Confusion

Hello, I know this is all going to based on opinion, but I am going to changing out the CV (thunder jet equipped) for either an S&S E or a Mikuni 42. Just looking to see which would give the most bang for the buck and not have to be "tinkered" with too much.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:16 PM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had two big twins with the S&S Super E and it was a great carb on both. I like the way the enricher works. I like the ease of rejetting the S&S. I like the intake design. No complaints about the S&S. That's what's on my 1988 FLHTC right now. Cant speak towards the Mikuni.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:20 PM
flhchaz
Club Member

thanks for the reply. I should mention that the bike in question is a '97 flht. I think I'm leaning toward the S&S but the thread with Kees' RK has me thinking. I ride with a guy with the Mikuni, and a guy with the S&S E, both run great

Old 01-27-2015, 09:32 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Some say there is "more power" to be had with a mikuni HSR when tuned right. I can't say as I have zero experience with either.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:21 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know the Mikuni guys like them. There are more adjustments to deal with it though. S&S carb is very simplistic. I tried one on mine when I was having some random issues with running but took it off after the reduced mileage and I found the real problem cam sensor causing random misfire. I love my cv. I tuned it with the info from nightrider. I didn't cut the spring and I used a smaller bit to enlarge the hole in the slide. I'll probably here some flack from drilling slide but the carb has performed flawless.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:45 PM
Kees
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 29 Posts

Have no experience with S&S carbs but the Mikuni is awesome. ..instant throttle response and pulling when the cam kicks in is insane.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:59 AM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went this route below. Best carb I have ever owned. I did have an S&S and it worked great and was a snap to work on. However my mileage was worse. Just my experiences.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...#ht_1751wt_854

Attached Thumbnails Carb Confusion-dcp_2724.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 06:30 AM
flhchaz
Club Member

My cv was jetted and dyno'd with my pipes and cam at the local hd shop and ran great. fast forward 15 years and the throttle response is really "jerky" I had it apart last year and cleaned the hell out of it and put it all together, but still not as smooth as I like.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:10 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by flhchaz
Hello, I know this is all going to based on opinion, but I am going to changing out the CV (thunder jet equipped) for either an S&S E or a Mikuni 42. Just looking to see which would give the most bang for the buck and not have to be "tinkered" with too much.
They are both great carbs. The Mikuni is a bit more fiddly as it has more adjustments, but a great carb when properly set-up and tuned.

I like S&S. It's a much simpler carb and easier to adjust. It comes with good instructions and great support.

As far as bang for the buck, I think the Mikuni wins. EZ kits are very reasonably priced. S&S is more expensive as you need a kit with intake manifold and air cleaner. Either will run great.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:28 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,440 Likes on 2,773 Posts

I have the Mikuni on my 97 Wide Glide and a S&S on the 91 1200 Sportster.

Both tremendous improvements over stock. The CV on the WG had all of the HiPo improvements, the Mikuni still blew it out of the water.

Which one is better? I like them both in their current applications. They are both good products. Money no object, probably go with Mikuni.

Side note, depending on your custom tastes, S&S seems to have more options for air cleaners etc, Mikuni has some options but I feel less. But if you are just going to run what comes in the box, this is a non-issue.

Quick Reply: Carb Confusion