Max (safe) RPM's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 07:08 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
OK, lets give the ring thing a rest. I agree we all come here to share information and learn.

That learning goes both ways...even when we least expect it.

I certainly appreciate the time people take to reply to my questions, and there are plenty of guys here with mucho more experience with these bikes than I have or will ever have...A lot of the things I do to my bike are a first time for me with this bike. Yes, I have other bikes, but this particular bike is my first evo big twin, so I like a little primer of info before I dig in.

There is even a smaller group who have what I would call "above and beyond knowledge". John is in this group!

When I get replies, I am grateful. But I also feel it is my responsibility as a "consumer" of that information to either take the info as word, or do a little more digging and verify the info, or just totally blow it off. But again it is my responsibility to properly use that information as well as be aware of misinformation whether it is intentional or not.

I'm sure there was no intention by anyone to provide misinformation, or **** someone off, or embarrass someone, or whatever.

Picture a group of guys sittin around the shop after hours, tossing back a few, and this previous conversation took place...I am sure the replies would have been a little more harsh regarding a perpetuated myth, and I am sure there would have been even more friendly razzing (and probably with a lot of expletives) , and the subject/myth or whatever would have been cleared up in a friendly tone over a couple of beers. It happens all the time. Guys being guys. Everyone goes home with egos intact and it happens all over again the next week.

Till next week, thanks for the info!!

Way more eloquent than I could have said it.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:18 PM
Wheels24
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get your bike dyno'd...that might help you decide how much to worry about rev'ing it. Mine - Stage 2 with Bub slip-ons - makes max torque at 3300rpm (78.5 ft.lb.) and max HP at 5500rpm (62.9HP). At 6000rpm its making 53 ft.lb. of torque and 60.6HP. Rev'ing it past 5500 just makes more noise and less power... But, as a racer, we normally go a bit beyond the max so that the next upshift gets us closer to the max HP point after we shift...but going too far past is a waste of time and engine parts. It's a balancing act.

Your dyno results will likely tell a different story than mine, but you'll know where your power band is. Many people find that they can actually keep up with their fast friends by shifting earlier than they thought.

Last edited by Wheels24; 01-31-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:11 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

On my blown 86 Evo I have the rpm limit set at 6500 and will hit that ceiling at least once a day - bike is so much damn fun to ride that it's hard to hold back.

Mind you I run a very low lift turbo cam with stock compression so feel that the higher limit is actually not that bad to hit once in a while.

The following users liked this post:
King of the Road 33 (07-20-2022)
Old 02-02-2015, 06:09 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,856 Likes on 3,021 Posts

its the piston speed - 56000 feet per second the alloy starts to come off the sides of the stock cast piston < reason forged is a go to for drag racing