EVO All Evo Model Discussion

S&S pouring gas out of the overflow

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:37 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by falconbrother
It occurred to me that in the two years that I have owned this bike I have had everything on it pulled apart except the engine and transmission from the frame.
Welcome to the traditional world of motorcysickles.

It's actually a source of pride and value should you need to do a roadside diagnosis and repair.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:13 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,465 Likes on 3,643 Posts
Default Needle n Seats

I have seen in the past that a rubber tipped needle can distort over time and cannot be detected by eye. I used to have leaking gas out of the over flow when parked and replaced the needle n seat with an all metal unit, I believe it was out of Dennis Kirk book for an S&S. Problem solved...

Old 12-11-2014, 08:28 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

After thinking about it overnight I have decided to go up a size on the intermediate jet. When I get home from work I'll pull that float bowl off and switch out the jet. S&S gave me a couple of extras so, hopefully I have the one I need already. I'm cautiously optimistic that this is my issue with starting the bike. Seems that others have had the exact same symptoms that were cured with a larger intermediate jet.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

Is it still flooding? If so then do one thing at a time! While it is flooding it hardly matters what jets are in the carb as it ain't going to run right! Stop it flooding first, then you can decide later if it needs any adjustments or jet changes.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:54 AM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What are the current jet sizes? 72/295 is factory I believe. I always felt I needed a 280 myself due to smelling rich and black soot.

Last edited by 92Fatty; 12-12-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:26 AM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Is it still flooding? If so then do one thing at a time! While it is flooding it hardly matters what jets are in the carb as it ain't going to run right! Stop it flooding first, then you can decide later if it needs any adjustments or jet changes.
Yes, this....... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 12-11-2014, 04:20 PM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So, I have everything back together. I switched out the intermediate jet for a 31 (it had a 295). It started really easy, warmed up quick (keep in mind it's about 40 degrees outside, or less). I let it go to idle after a bout a minute on the enricher and guess what..it just loped along. No wandering, perfect idle at where ever I set it. I had to back off of the accelerator setting a full turn but, the throttle response is instant. The idle mixture is perfect at 1 1/2.

I let it set for about ten minutes, gave the throttle one squirt and hit the starter, no throttle. It started immediately and went straight to a nice idle at 1000 RPMs.

I think I had two issues. An intake leak and too small of a intermediate jet. I'm going to go change the oil on my car and then give it another try to start. If she fires right up I think I'll be home free.

I think that it seemed to flood because not being able to start caused me to start trying to feed it gas through the accelerator pump. Of course, I can't swear that it ever flooded. It just wouldn't start and smelled of gas. When I pulled the plugs they were bone dry. Time will tell if this issue is done but, if it's not I know a whole lot more about jetting it.

As far as intake leaks I have a theory. When a carb isn't set right it causes backfires or coughing, or both. If the bike is coughing I theorize that it could cause an intake leak. That little explosion's got to go somewhere. Then, the problem gets worse and harder to diagnose. It seems to me that these Harleys have zero tolerance for intake leaks, even very small ones.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:29 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,465 Likes on 3,643 Posts
Default Floats n Floaters

You can lead a horse to water but if the keg is left unattended the horse is still going to **** all over the place. even an Iron Horse......

Old 12-11-2014, 05:36 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
You can lead a horse to water but if the keg is left unattended the horse is still going to **** all over the place. even an Iron Horse......
That's a good one!!!
I haven't heard that one before.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 PM
BLKPRLFLHTCU
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most small engines don't like intake leaks, or exhaust leaks for that matter.

Quick Reply: S&S pouring gas out of the overflow