EVO All Evo Model Discussion

S&S pouring gas out of the overflow

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:41 AM
Rob85WG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was overflowing and I found a nice groove in the needle where it seats. A new needle fixed it but now I let the bike idle a bit with the fuel shut off to releave the float pressure on the needle. That should extend the life of the needle.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:50 AM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
It has done it from brand new.
I've reset the float level and done everything else I can think of and it still does it.
I just make sure I shut off the fuel when I stop the bike.
Well, then, it's still broken............

Old 12-10-2014, 07:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by traildog
Well, then, it's still broken............
Yup - my S&S carb is seven years old and behaves itself.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:48 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I figure that the issue is probably debris in the float needle orifice. I didn't get the carb off last night. I'll do that this evening. It's not a bad job, especially since the intake doesn't get touched.

What worries me is how bloody hard it is to start with a warm engine in cold weather. I haven't figured out the combination to that yet. It floods easy but, if I try to start it with no throttle it wont even pretend to want to fire. So far, the best effort has come from two shots from the accelerator pump and hold the throttle halfway open. But, sometimes that doesn't work and makes it worse.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I hope you have a rebuild kit in your near future, so you can strip, clean and rebuild your carb as it was when new?! If you have any damaged rubber items inside, such as in the accelerator pump, you will have problems.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:36 AM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is your motor high compression or internally modded? Hot or cold two roll throughs of the throttle when cold and it would fire up. Then I'd keep it running with the throttle lock. Warm I'd hit the button and it would fire up. How old are your plugs and wires?

Old 12-10-2014, 11:14 AM
falconbrother
Road Master

I have been doing some reading. Seems like the most common reason for what's going on is an intake leak. I'm going to go ahead and pull the whole business. The carb is less than a year old. I doubt that it has seal issues.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:21 PM
falconbrother
Road Master

I pulled the tank off and removed the petcock, cleaned up everything. The tank and petcock look great. The fuel line is fairly new and in good shape. I pulled the carb and manifold and that looks like new. When I drained the float bowl I saw some small particles but, very small and not much. I pulled the float out and the cone shaped rubber valve is perfect, like new. The only crud in the whole carb was some in the accelerator pump, but on the outside area.

I put a thin smear of red RTV on the surface where the intake meets the head, just to add a little seal even though the rubber on the manifold looks great. Right now the carb is reinstalled as well as the horn and the VOES. The tank is drying as is the petcock. I can have it all back together in less than an hour tomorrow and then see how it worked out.

It occurred to me that in the two years that I have owned this bike I have had everything on it pulled apart except the engine and transmission from the frame.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by falconbrother
Got home from riding today, stopped for gas a mile from home. When I arrvied home the overflow on the S&S carb was pouring major gas. Is that a stuck float? I guess I need to pull it to see.

This old motorcycle is kicking my butt. Every ride contains some issue. It's still a bear to start on a cold day with a warm motor that's been sitting for ten or more minutes. Today I rode over to the dealership. It was about 40 degrees out. I stayed in there about 15 minutes, came out, cracked the throttle open a bit, no start, not so much as an attempt at starting. So, I rolled the throttle open a couple of times, held the throttle open a bit, nada. I tried all different options for quite a while and never an attempt to light off. So, I pulled the plugs and rolled it over for a couple of seconds. The plugs were dry and didn't seem to be fouled at all. Then, a few more tries and she lights off with a couple of backfires, cuts off. Then roll the throttle, hold it open 1/2 way and she will start and run but hard to keep running. Finally, I was able to get her running enough to ride off. I road it a bit hard and it rode fine all the way home. Of course, the carb overflow is now pouring gas. Great... I'm going out to the garage tonight in the cold and pulling that carb off and apart to see what's what in there.

do you have a spacer between the carb and intake you could be boiling the fuel that would cause some of your problems. your lifters could be bleeding down to fast causing your hard starting when hot.
do a compression test on it when its hot

Old 12-10-2014, 11:23 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 669 Posts

Just out of curiosity..... Why are you giving it gas before you start it. Once the motor starts cycling as you hit the starter it should create vacuum which will cause the g's to flow. Maybe you a flooding it every time causing your no start issue

Last edited by misfitJason; 12-12-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: S&S pouring gas out of the overflow