EVO All Evo Model Discussion

S&S in starting cold weather (after riding)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:08 PM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I really appreciate all the comments. I really want to keep this bike but, it's gotta be able to go year round. I think the biggest problem with my bike is the rider.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:20 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by falconbrother
I really appreciate all the comments. I really want to keep this bike but, it's gotta be able to go year round. I think the biggest problem with my bike is the rider.
I have a t-shirt that says
"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handle bars to the seat."
I know it has been true for me!!!

Old 11-23-2014, 10:11 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I always allow my fatty to warm up after starting her up, especially in cold weather if my partners need to book oh well.I just caress her tanks and tell her she gets a a shot of sea foam when she gets home if she catches up and passes them meanie twinkies never fails..............

Old 11-24-2014, 08:33 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I had an S&S I would twist the throttle twice and it fired every time. Then warm it up with my arm. That enrichener definitely can foul plugs quick. As the old saying goes you only do it once.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:32 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by falconbrother
Gotta question for the S&S Super E folks. Starting in cold weather is no problem, 3 squirts and enricher up and she starts in a couple of tries every time. The issue that I'm having is in cold weather after having ridden and the engine cooling back down. I was out tonight and by the time I was ready to leave it was probably in the low 40's high 30's. The engine was cool to the touch but, not ice cold. I crank and tried all kinds of different things and she wouldn't start. I sat for a while and tried to start with no squirts and she started, I pulled up the enricher to get a high idle and then tried to ride off, she back fired and quit. I let her sit for a minute and started up again and again applied the enricher to get the high idle. I say for a couple of minutes and then rode off, she ran rough till I shut the enricher off. Once things got good and warm the bike rode fine.

What the heck is the proper sequence for starting in cold weather on a warm or not so warm bike with the S&S carb? I had one on my old Heritage and it seemed that it was much easier to start in cold weather than this one. That bike had cams and a SE ignition. This bike is stock except S&S and mufflers. Cold weather makes fuel injection seem pretty cool (no pun intended).

It's a 1988 FLHTC.
I don't think you should ever begin riding with the enrichener still on.

The following users liked this post:
mplecha (12-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

My 92 Heritage absolutely will not start unless I use the enricher. I pull it full up, hit the start switch and as soon as it fires I put the enricher down and idle it up a little until it warms up. I've never had a problem with fouling plugs. My 85, I haven't figured out what it takes yet. What works one time doesn't seem to work the next time I try it. Usually I need to turn it over a couple of times prior to using the enricher. Otherwise it is hard for the starter to turn it over. Almost like a hydraulic lock. The 92 is stock and the 85 is stroked and high compression and they are completely different beasts.

Last edited by Tailbreaker; 11-26-2014 at 05:59 PM.
tar_snake (12-21-2018)
Old 11-26-2014, 05:07 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,476 Likes on 3,650 Posts
Default Preference

S&S makes a great carburetor ( I use a E series) but you will probably never see an identical build where the starting procedure will be the same. When I was running a 9.8 cr I used the enricher all the time cold , summer and winter. Then I upgraded my motor with 10.5 :1 wisco milled to 10.2:1 cr and needed it only for morning starts only and had problems with too much fuel at times and now I'm running wiseco 11:1 milled to 10.8:1 and do not use it at all if I do it floods the motor making it harder to start. So what I'm saying is that you are going to have to find what makes you motor happy and at what times to us the enricher or not. It's not a stock motor and does need a little caressing......

tar_snake (12-21-2018)
Old 11-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Beltdriven
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have the S&S E so

When it's cold as you describe I start the bike by pulling the enrichener out all the way pull in the clutch don't touch the throttle and press the start button and the bike fires up.Run at fast idle for 30 seconds then push in the enrichener. It goes to a slow idle.Let it warm for a little while then go.Then take it easy for the first few miles.Works the same way every time.

tar_snake (12-21-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 07:17 PM
nucklehead13
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got an eighty thousand cc ironhead with a Sand S super e and a printed service manual. During warm weather the cold engine is started with just the lever up. The lever is not needed for restarts unless the engine really cools down. During cold weather I just have to twist the throttle once. The manual tells you to twist the throttle first before the lever is raised up. I do it that way. After the warm engine sits for a while and cools back down all I have to do is raise the lever up. As far as the lever goes I try to get it back down as soon as possible so no spark plugs foul. You can really tell when the engine is warned up it runs that much smoother. Plus the manual tells you while adjusting it to ride the bike for a half hour first when the temperature is below 60 degrees.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:27 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by nucklehead13
I got an eighty thousand cc ironhead with a Sand S super e and a printed service manual. During warm weather the cold engine is started with just the lever up. The lever is not needed for restarts unless the engine really cools down. During cold weather I just have to twist the throttle once. The manual tells you to twist the throttle first before the lever is raised up. I do it that way. After the warm engine sits for a while and cools back down all I have to do is raise the lever up. As far as the lever goes I try to get it back down as soon as possible so no spark plugs foul. You can really tell when the engine is warned up it runs that much smoother. Plus the manual tells you while adjusting it to ride the bike for a half hour first when the temperature is below 60 degrees.
You dug up this 4 year old thread to tell us that?
Not sure the OP is still here BTW.

Quick Reply: S&S in starting cold weather (after riding)