EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil Out of the Air Cleaner...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014 | 05:49 PM
Rhino-1
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Kabear
The line that "blows" also "sucks" that is why it is in the air filter. The air filter then filters the air going back "into" the crank case.

If you look in the external filter(the little canister type) also has a one-way flapper valve in it to help prevent/slow down the sucking action.

If it was just for EPA purposes it would be located behind the carburetor as in the early auto with a PCV valve. But, it is not, it must also send filtered air back to the crankcase or at least down the breather tube without fuel vapors for obvious reasons.

But, it is your engine do what you want, like oiling the rear tire(great for traction) or oiling the swing arm, rear wheel bearings, rear wheel, drive belt/chain(sure dirt won't gather on the bearings). Think about where that oil goes and what it is contaminating.
(oil doesn't hurt/damage the Earth, that is where it comes from)

Just my $0.02

BTW: I clean my filters every time I change the engine oil (3000mi) and have no problem with it, the filter absorbs most of the vapor and is removed when cleaned/replaced.
Kabear, Im not sure I agree with that assessment of what the breather does--but I could be wrong (and have been known to be with some regularity...lol). I know it vents excess pressure, and lathough there might be some suction with the displacement of the air in the crankcase, I don't think there is much. You can see this if you ever run a clear hose out the tail end (like we did on our old Ninja and GSXR race bikes). Sometimes fluid would languish in a low spot and sit there until drained.

I like the idea of routing a line to anywhere other than the intake stream. As I mentioned previously, I fancy the idea of a nice catch can, but I am considering a straight-to-atmosphere filter.

Old 11-21-2014 | 09:07 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

the breather gear has a window - and that window is connected to a driven gear and that gear is timed to the flywheels via the camshaft gear / and it only has a path to the open window via the vent hose /// when the flywheels are on a down stroke < ONLY

the rest of the time the window is blocked - no suction no leaking its blocked - now i hope that we are on the same page

Old 11-21-2014 | 09:46 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member

Like I said it was just my $0.02.

I always thought the breather controlled the pressure inside the cam chest.

The breathe hose comes out the crankcase via a passage from the cam chest therefore shouldn't be affected by the breather valve timing.

Quote from the manual:

The rotary breather valve is timed to open on the downstroke of the pistons, allowing crankcase exhaust air pressure to expel scavenged oil from the flywheel compartment through the breather valve into the gear compartment.

The oil and air mixture exhausted through the breather valve is separated in the cam gear compartment. The oil falls to the bottom of the case, flows to the passage in the crankcase is picked up by the scavenge gears in the oil pump and returned to oil filter and tank. The air along with a light oil mist is routed around a baffle in the cam gear cover and through a passage in the cover. An additional baffle is located in the breather trap to further separate the air/oil mist. The air continues through the crankcase passage and to the air cleaner. The oil drops to the bottom of the breather trap and on piston upstroke, vacuum pulls oil thru a timed opening in the breather valve.

So there you have it, we are both right.

The movement of the pistons is what actually lubricates the internal components of the engine. This is also why there isn't much pressure in the oil system.

And I'm done here.