EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil Out of the Air Cleaner...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014 | 11:58 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Oh, I meant to post a few pics of bikes with our different types of external breathers...here they are-

Breather Bolts-
Kevin, I couldn't find those on your web-site?

Old 11-21-2014 | 04:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member

The plain fact is that oil vapour will come out of the engine breather, so where ever it is vented is going to get oily over time! The closer to the ground the better IMHO.

Old 11-21-2014 | 07:33 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by grbrown
The plain fact is that oil vapour will come out of the engine breather, so where ever it is vented is going to get oily over time! The closer to the ground the better IMHO.
This is exactly the reason I took my exhaust hose all the way out to the end of the swing arm and pointed it out.

Old 11-21-2014 | 08:06 AM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown

BINGO! The underside is the ONLY place MY bike is DIRTY........

Old 11-21-2014 | 09:56 AM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by SeaZund
Kevin, I couldn't find those on your web-site?
If you click this LINK, you will be able to see the different types of breather systems we have.

If you are already having issues with oil blow-by, then I would suggest one of the hose and filter type setups, just to avoid any possible mess.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-21-2014 | 10:05 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

So Natalie, if you are having issues with blow by then the breather bolts will make a mess?

Old 11-21-2014 | 10:23 AM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Beemervet
So Natalie, if you are having issues with blow by then the breather bolts will make a mess?
If you are already having blow-by issues, then the breather bolts might also mist, and cause oil to get on the side of the bike. Some people don't care about the slight misting, some have a problem with it.

That is why I always suggest a hose and filter set up to people who are already unhappy with the mess they currently get. This way, they have no mess but still get the benefits of having their bike vented to the atmosphere.

Old 11-21-2014 | 11:13 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior

So, if I run those brass breather bolts up top, it will stop the air intake from seeping oil?

The intake I have had solid bolts up top.

The SE Heavy Breather has breather bolts but have caps that restrict air. How does it work exactly?

Last edited by trainedkilla; 11-21-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-21-2014 | 11:36 AM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by trainedkilla
So, if I run those brass breather bolts up top, it will stop the air intake from seeping oil?

The intake I have had solid bolts up top.

The SE Heavy Breather has breather bolts but have caps that restrict air. How does it work exactly?
When you get a chance, give me a call here at the office. I will be able to better help you over the phone.

Old 11-21-2014 | 11:54 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member

The line that "blows" also "sucks" that is why it is in the air filter. The air filter then filters the air going back "into" the crank case.

If you look in the external filter(the little canister type) also has a one-way flapper valve in it to help prevent/slow down the sucking action.

If it was just for EPA purposes it would be located behind the carburetor as in the early auto with a PCV valve. But, it is not, it must also send filtered air back to the crankcase or at least down the breather tube without fuel vapors for obvious reasons.

But, it is your engine do what you want, like oiling the rear tire(great for traction) or oiling the swing arm, rear wheel bearings, rear wheel, drive belt/chain(sure dirt won't gather on the bearings). Think about where that oil goes and what it is contaminating.
(oil doesn't hurt/damage the Earth, that is where it comes from)

Just my $0.02

BTW: I clean my filters every time I change the engine oil (3000mi) and have no problem with it, the filter absorbs most of the vapor and is removed when cleaned/replaced.

Quick Reply: Oil Out of the Air Cleaner...