EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Not another cam thread😃

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:42 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

every one has there own reasons and opinions for the cams they choose. the three main three cams were already listed by previous posters. IMO the v-thunder should not be in the list just because of known quality issues you get what you pay for. as far as the W6 its probably not the cam for you. it really likes compression at the very least your going to need .030 head gaskets. or it will be very oft on the bottom.
so your only real choice is the EV27.
also the EV27 will benefit from a head gasket compression bump as well.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:06 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,675 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee⋁13409289
Are your base gaskets leaking?... If they ain't leaking then i would go with the w6.
Can you explain that?

Old 11-12-2014, 03:40 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Can you explain that?
He means that if they are not leaking he can get away with adjustable pushrods because he won't be pulling the jugs to cure the leaky base gaskets.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

The interweb is one thing, the Evo section of HDF is quite another! EV27 probably gets by far the most thumbs up in here! If you want a simple and safe choice, look no further. Why subject yourself to more agony!!!!

Old 11-12-2014, 06:42 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
The interweb is one thing, the Evo section of HDF is quite another! EV27 probably gets by far the most thumbs up in here! If you want a simple and safe choice, look no further. Why subject yourself to more agony!!!!
Probably because I read about excessive valve train noise from the EV27, it needs compression bumped to see the real benefits and works best in higher RPM's that I don't ride in. Just trying to see if any of it is bullshit or real. I've emailed Andrews to get their opinion but I know the guys here have real experience and I trust (some) of their opinions I only want to do this once and want to do it right the first time

Old 11-12-2014, 06:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tailbreaker
Probably because I read about excessive valve train noise from the EV27, it needs compression bumped to see the real benefits and works best in higher RPM's that I don't ride in. Just trying to see if any of it is bullshit or real. I've emailed Andrews to get their opinion but I know the guys here have real experience and I trust (some) of their opinions I only want to do this once and want to do it right the first time
While an EV27 may well benefit from a bump in CR I reckon the vast majority of them have been installed in stock engines, as I did with mine. As well as the boost in performance the most noticeable change I found was the increase in induction noise! You have some excellent advice in a few of these posts, but don't over-think it. Fortunately when I installed my EV27 the internet hadn't got off the ground, so I didn't have the distraction of all the 'knowledge' we now get swamped with.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:51 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 513 Posts

I have ev 27s in both me electra glides. They are a huge improvement over stock. I think you will be happy with the ev27.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is what Andrews tech support had to say. I gave them the same information I gave you guys. I'm not trying to over think this just want to make sure I buy the right cam the 1st time around. I'm halfway tempted to open my WideGlide up to see what cam is has because it's perfect. Then again, I have no idea what other engine work was done to it.

Attached Thumbnails Not another cam thread😃-image-3478635416.jpg  
Old 11-12-2014, 10:33 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like this statement.. but just slapping a cam and lifters in is not the right way to do it. its the cheap way! the EV27 and W6 are both known for there torque gains. and there both known for there valve train noise more so on the W6. that's a price you have to pay for performance with more aggressive ramps. if you hear lifter noise you have a problem that's not normal. if you hear the valves slapping the seats from the aggressive ramps that's normal and there's nothing you can do about that.
both of these cams rely on velocity to fill the cylinders with air and fuel but that come at a price to the compression ratio. your stock motor has a CR of 8.2:1 with a stock cam your corrected compression ratio or CCR would be 7.9:1 and with a EV27 it will drop to CCR 7.7:1 and the W6 would make it CCR 7.3:1 witch translates to soft on the bottom. to gain back what you lost at the very least a .030 head gasket will bring the CCR back to 7.95:1 on the EV27.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:34 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Here is what Andrews tech support had to say. I gave them the same information I gave you guys. I'm not trying to over think this just want to make sure I buy the right cam the 1st time around. I'm halfway tempted to open my WideGlide up to see what cam is has because it's perfect. Then again, I have no idea what other engine work was done to it.
FWIW I know someone who has the 13 and is very happy with it.

Quick Reply: Not another cam thread😃