EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ultima steel breather gear any good? Cam swap advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,042 Likes on 659 Posts
Default Ultima steel breather gear any good? Cam swap advice

Was shopping for the s&s steel breather gear and came across this one. I searched on here but didn't come up with any results. They can be had for about 30 bucks through jireh. I have also looked at the jims version, sifton version, and s&s. They all look the same to me. Also will my shin work for these or is it best to get a shin kit being its a new breather gear like the s&s comes with? Looking for thoughts and advice. My cam swap is going in and I am shopping around for the bearing installer/puller tools. I already have the ev27 and I was contemplating going with a s&s oil pump at the same time because my check ball seat needs attention I am guessing judging by the oil coming from my breather. I already replaced my check ball and spring which didn't help.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:53 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,671 Likes on 2,944 Posts

when no issue exist i will use the ultima breather they are imports but are pretty good

the S&S reed breather is the one i like it does the job the spinning one cant do, and in all the motors i have used them in the oil control is way better - some the issue is completly gone for 50,000 miles

yes you need to correctly shim the new breather and its not one shim fits all - the reed breather uses a spring to hold it in place as it does not spin with the gearing

Old 11-10-2014, 10:25 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm sorry I didn't post this originally. It's a 1988 case breather evo. I didn't know s&s made a reed breather for case breathers

Old 11-10-2014, 12:36 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

well to the surprise of many i have used them in shovels and the last time i look on my bench not one shovel was a head breather

its the concept of how it works / for what ever reason S&S has to say you cant use it on a bottom breather i do not know and dont care

HOW and what does it do - well every time the flywheels turn to an upward motion the escaping air is dirverted to the breather no matter what engine - and as such its AIR now it is timed to escape -- well unless you have actually done the degreing on a motor you have no idea how off it really is in mass production of the engine blocks, AND they dont check it BTW, soooo it is a reed as the pressure increases it lets out the extra AIR as it decreses it closes traping air and oil -- how is that not the thing you want

Old 11-10-2014, 01:36 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Cool thanks john

Old 11-10-2014, 04:08 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 866 Posts

Running the S&S reed valve in my little stroker engine for several years and got the job done, ran the hoses on a top breather to the ground with rarely a drop of oil left on the ground, case breather should work the same.

My big Ultima engine has a Ultima steel breather that I put back in so it works also, I do know that when a Evo engine has a hurt piston it will need a kotex to keep oil from hitting the ground so the engine needs to be sound or it will be on the rag with any breather.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:15 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

we turn the vent hose fitting up not down like it comes, and send the vent hose up and over the top of the oil tank and back down - never an issue

Old 11-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,121 Likes on 5,599 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
I didn't know s&s made a reed breather for case breathers
Using the reed valve on pre 93 motors is hit or miss...some work...some don't...has somthing to do with the location of the return hole to the breather gear from the oil/air separation pocket...S&S doesn't recommend them for bottom breather motors...but they did when the reed's first came out.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:27 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Using the reed valve on pre 93 motors is hit or miss...some work...some don't...has somthing to do with the location of the return hole to the breather gear from the oil/air separation pocket...S&S doesn't recommend them for bottom breather motors...but they did when the reed's first came out.

ive used them on shovel heads and pre 93 evo's.
don't know if its really needed but a guy I know showed me how he does it and so far I haven't had a problem.
use a punch to put a dimple on the lip so it makes a tight fit when you install the reed breather. make sure one of the reeds is straight up and lightly tap it in. this keeps the 2 bottom reeds as high as they can be away from the oil pool inside of the breather cavity.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:08 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the S&S install instructions say to back off the push rods (if adjustable, otherwise remove them) when installing this reed valve; how come?

Quick Reply: Ultima steel breather gear any good? Cam swap advice