EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ultima steel breather gear any good? Cam swap advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 02:44 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,863 Likes on 3,026 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaZund
the S&S install instructions say to back off the push rods (if adjustable, otherwise remove them) when installing this reed valve; how come?
i am sure the guy who wrote that is back working at wal mart selling harley T shirts AGAIN

Old 11-13-2014, 04:39 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaZund
the S&S install instructions say to back off the push rods (if adjustable, otherwise remove them) when installing this reed valve; how come?

I would think it is so you can get the cam chest off.
Unless you know Spanners trick of putting the notch of the cam at the 5 o'clock position.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:50 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 846 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Unless you know Spanners trick of putting the notch of the cam at the 5 o'clock position.

He does now.....

Old 08-27-2020, 06:02 AM
johnnyjellybean
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Can you elaborate please?

Old 08-27-2020, 07:14 AM
Adam76
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
Was shopping for the s&s steel breather gear and came across this one. I searched on here but didn't come up with any results. They can be had for about 30 bucks through jireh. I have also looked at the jims version, sifton version, and s&s. They all look the same to me. Also will my shin work for these or is it best to get a shin kit being its a new breather gear like the s&s comes with? Looking for thoughts and advice. My cam swap is going in and I am shopping around for the bearing installer/puller tools. I already have the ev27 and I was contemplating going with a s&s oil pump at the same time because my check ball seat needs attention I am guessing judging by the oil coming from my breather. I already replaced my check ball and spring which didn't help.
Originally Posted by johnjzjz
when no issue exist i will use the ultima breather they are imports but are pretty good

the S&S reed breather is the one i like it does the job the spinning one cant do, and in all the motors i have used them in the oil control is way better - some the issue is completly gone for 50,000 miles

yes you need to correctly shim the new breather and its not one shim fits all - the reed breather uses a spring to hold it in place as it does not spin with the gearing
I just went through exactly what you are doing with my ev27 cam set up. After much debate I made an educated (IMO) decision to go between to the two options and choose to fit the Ultima steel breather gear. I was surprised at the quality and finish and fit of the breather for less than half the cost of the s&s one . I still had to shim it, but luckily it took the .130" shim I had already ordered.

good luck, and let us know how it turns out. 👍

Old 08-27-2020, 09:56 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyjellybean
Can you elaborate please?
I haven't done this yet but supposedly if you take the cam sensor (or ignition pickup if you prefer) out then remove the cup and put the notch that the cup fits in to the 5 o'clock position (you will have to hold the cam in place or it will come out with the cam chest) then you can remove the cam chest without having to remove the lifters or pushrods.