EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What to do, old wheel vs new wheel 21"

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:23 AM
HD_Leon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do, old wheel vs new wheel 21"

I want to swap my 16" for à 21" in the front.

Got an old OEM 21" evo wheel with the right bearings, ready to mount.
Also got a new twin cam wheel (better looking hub) with the wrong bearings.

So, use the old style wheel or change bearings and use the new wheel?
Or does the new wheel not even fit in?
With the new wheel it seems the wheel doesnt line up when the caliper is on, just cant tell for sure, i dont got the right spacers jet.

Just dont know, please advise/help/shareyouropinion

Last edited by HD_Leon; 11-03-2014 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:50 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if I only had those choices I would use the old one but you have to do more than just the wheel I found out on my 02 with apes and a 21 the bikes handling at low speed was horrible.
this is what I did to fix it I bought a new set of rims 80 spoke 18x5 rear 21x3.5 front. I did this for three reasons the 80 spokes fill the look better. the 18 rear gave me 1" taller tire without raising the sidewall height. and the 3.5 front fills the fender a lot better.
next I bought a 3 degree bearing rake that brought my trail back in where it needs to be. and it lowered the front about 1.5" now the bike sits level again and I have an extra 1" of ground clearance I don't drag my floorboards as much now.
the only other thing I did was slot the holes on my fender and rock it forward. I didn't need to but it looks better.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:15 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^5 on the 80 spokes...I put them on my 49 Panhead and they make all the difference in the (spoked wheel) world. Rocking the front fender slightly forward enough to keep it square to the pavement is another small mod that's well worth doing.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:48 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

I don't find the handling to be any different with the 21" on the front. If you like the look, do it. You can always switch it back

Old 11-03-2014, 11:33 AM
D_gyver
Road Master

Originally Posted by cpbedor
I don't find the handling to be any different with the 21" on the front. If you like the look, do it. You can always switch it back
I like the look or I wouldn't have done it. just like the apes I like them too. but im also very aware of what putting apes on a bike does to your ability to control the bike at low speed. and adding more trail to the front end makes it even worse. you can have any look you want and still make it safe. and if you do it right your bike will even look better. not sagging in the azz like most. if your going to do it do it right the first time. I've learned my lesson to many times. if I cant afford to do it right I wait till I can.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:38 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Speaking of looks. This heritage looks great, I popped over to your other thread with the before and after pictures and you did a great job on it. It's really coming along. I'd be proud to own this thing as it sits now.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:56 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by D_gyver
I like the look or I wouldn't have done it. just like the apes I like them too. but im also very aware of what putting apes on a bike does to your ability to control the bike at low speed. and adding more trail to the front end makes it even worse. you can have any look you want and still make it safe. and if you do it right your bike will even look better. not sagging in the azz like most. if your going to do it do it right the first time. I've learned my lesson to many times. if I cant afford to do it right I wait till I can.

I agree with you. The scariest of the things you mentioned is the tail drag, specifically with the long shots I run on mine. I have a shotgun shock installed and ride it near stock, slightly lowered. If I slam it at a show and forget to raise it up enough, everything drags and its not a pleasant experience. I'm not disagreeing at all with a safety component of chopping these bikes up. From my experience, the safety concern is making sure you have enough front fender clearance from the tire so that when the tire expands on a hot day at 80mph, you aren't rubbing a fender into the tire. Controlling the bike at a low speed, for me, did not present a challenge.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:17 PM
D_gyver
Road Master

here is a few pics I found and you can see what a difference it makes on the looks of the bike when you do it right

wrong way

right way

Old 11-04-2014, 03:14 AM
HD_Leon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys!

I appreciate the feedback, i'l go with the evo wheel first cause its ready to fit.

And yes, the front definitely needs to be lowerd as wel so im ordering a progressive spring set.

I like the clean look on the 40 spoke wheel, 80 is so mutch "crowded" if you know what i mean
If im satisfied it wil be finished with a nice white wall in the front, maybe a dunlop tire because i got one on the rear wheel as wel.

Last edited by HD_Leon; 11-04-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 AM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm looking forward to pics. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: What to do, old wheel vs new wheel 21"