1993 FXLR Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1993 FXLR Help Needed

Good Morning All,
I'm a new guy to the forums, but not a new guy to Harley ownership. Will be picking up a low mileage 93 FXLR in excellent condition on Monday. The bike is stock with the exception of forward controls, an S&S Super E carb and alot of extra chrome.

This will be my first EVO and I have read through the forum for the past couple of days. I would appreciate any input that anyone might have or special thoughts concerning this model. Good points over earlier models and bad point over later models and so forth.

I also need to remove the forward controls on the brake side and install the mid mount brake setup. The owner has all of the original parts. I'll need some basic instructions on how to bolt the mid mount brake side back on. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Default RE: 1993 FXLR Help Needed

C'mon guys,
41 folks have looked my post and I can't get any help, adviceor suggestions? I need some input here to be able to upgrade any downfalls & fix er up .

Old 04-16-2007, 12:45 PM
kfmorris
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you may want to do is repost this again but in that specific section on the forums (IE your model bike)...Not sure if everyone that would have the knowledge on that bike checks the general forums section.
Just a suggestion...
Take care...

Old 04-16-2007, 01:29 PM
riden2low
Tourer

My thoughts on this is to buy you a service manual like most us have. You will see break down photos of the parts and etc. It helps when you are taking the bike apart or putting it back together. It will show you how to put those stock controls back on.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

I've got a service manual ordered. More interested in what I need to do to overcome any inherent problems like the transmission sprocket lock problems and other things that EVO owners would know.I am already aware of the cam bearing lifter issue.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:35 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I admit it....I was one of the 43 that read your post and move on without saying a word. Not because I'm and a$$, but because I didn't have anything to really help you out.

I've never heard of the sprocket failures and you've already got the cam bearing weakness. How about the leaky base gasket.

Other than that, I don't know. It's and EVO...RIDE IT!!!

Old 04-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

I owned a 1987 FXLR and converted it from the factory mids to forward controls. If you have all of the stock parts, it's pretty easy to figure out. As far as the model goes, it was and still is one of the best chassis that Harley has ever produced. The FXR line is basically a striped down touring bike and it handles accordingly. They are great bikes and you wont regret owning one. Enjoy it!!!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 12:03 AM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

olstoney 93 fxr good yr cam bearing was fixed no prob with sprocketts lay stock pieces beside it and study it will come to u.(dont take anything apart till u figure it out)good machine it will take u anywhere.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Welcome to the forum! (If you would complete your profile and/or put in your avatar area your location, you might get some good 'local help'.)

ORIGINAL: olstoney...More interested in what I need to do to overcome any inherent problems like the transmission sprocket lock problems and other things that EVO owners would know.I am already aware of the cam bearing lifter issue...
I can't help ya out with the forward controls, other than to agree that you should get the FSM (you say it on the way), and to also get the FPM (factory parts manual) which has lots of good 'exploded views'. It also makes it easier to go into the parts dept and order the correct part or make certain they've given you the correct part. But be advised, that you may not get an 'exact duplicate', because The MoCo has obsoleted, replaced or substituted newer parts in many instances.

As far as the main drive sprocket, The MoCo 'upgraded' the nut/retainer in 1994 so that's what you get for a 'fix'. I've had mine repaired twice, once in PA, once in FL. What you will initially thing is a leaking primary gasket (because the bike 'marks its spot' when parked on the jiffy stand). Itis in reality the transmission oil leaking down the output shaft spline onto the inner then outer primary. The only thing that holds the output shaft seal into place is the drive sprocket. When that loosens a couple thou',you get the leak. If it loosens some more, it hitsthe inner primary...Like a number of repairs you will spend the majority of time removing 'good parts' to get to the bad part.

The next EVO plague is the leaking rocker boxes and the leaking cylinder base gaskets. In most instances the rocker box issue is either a 'pinched' gasket or a warped cover. It's around $600 for a complete set of EVO chrome rocker boxes. Unless you're gonna buy S&S, IMO don't waste your money on the aftermarket ones. I had a Custom Chrome set (actually two sets)put on my93 EVO and they leaked for three years (and eight gasket changes by dealers, indys, and myself)...Before Iswapped in the Genuine HD parts.If your base gaskets aren't leaking after almost 17 years, they probably aren't gonna leak (mine started leaking within a year). It's another 'one of those jobs', where you gotta take a whole lotta good stuff off, to get to the bad. I believe the dealers charge aroundfive-seven hours labor to do the job.I'm not certain,likemost everything on the EVO, you can do this yourself (other than machining the cylinders) with common hand tools. I had The Oil Fix: www.haydensm6.com installedlast year when the bike's upper was getting redone.

The S&SSuperE is a good carb, but there is nothing wrong with the stock CV on stock dispacement bikes. And you, no doubt have a free flowing air cleaner onalready.

If you've got to get into the motor for any reason, I'd recommend:

Mufflers/Exhaust...You probably have stock ones with the baffles removed, or a set of aftermarket slipons? Noise is a matter of 'personal taste', but a Harley doesn't need to be obnoxiously loud to perform well. I think Thunderheader makes a real nice sounding exhaust system for certain model Harleys...I might go with one on my FLHS when I can no longer get replacement parts.

New Cam (if it doesn't have one already)...Do some research on what is recommended for your size bike and how you ride.

SE or Aftermarket ignition...This will allow the bike to rev a bit higher into the HP range (you won't be riding at 6000 rpms so don't worry)

Mild porting of heads...Nothing radical...Check with the some of the vendors on this board. You can pull them yourself, ship them off, and then reinstall them...Saving some l

Old 04-18-2007, 05:53 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Thanks to all of you guys that posted.

Hackd,
The information that you provided was the kind of information that I was looking for thank you. BTW, I'm from Ft. Myers, Florida, but haven't figured out yet how to ad that. I'll also replace the Avatar with one of the bike when it is finished.

The bike has a solid chrome 16" rear wheel and a 21" twisted spoke front wheel that I want to replace with a 19" in order to lower the bike a bit in the front. It also has a set of progressive 412 rear shocks installed, but I haven't measured the center to center distance yet. The exhausts are not factory as there is no crossover (I have the original owners manual). We could not find any logo on the exhausts, but they are staggered duals with heat shields and slash cut mufflers. They look and sound real good and I plan to keep them for awhile. Been there, done that for years with drag pipes on the Knuckles, Pans and Shovels, which is why the wife says I'm deaf [sm=yikesomg.gif].

Todays project is to remove the windshield, HD saddlebags that are hiding that nice looking chrome rear wheel and a luggage rack from behind the short backrest sissy bar. I do plan to go with an Andrews cam and swap out the INA bearing, lifters, lifter blocks and pushrods all at once when funds allow. What brand of lifters would you recommend? I'm looking at Jim's stuff, but haven't got prices yet. Jim's also makes a sprocket and lock to take care of that problem.

Trailbreaker,
I have the Kuryakyn forward controls off the left side and the stock mids back on. The right side is off just in the front so I can start fabbing up the brackets for the right side shifter mounts. Looks like I'll have to remove the front exhaust pipe and muffler to get at a chrome spline plug in order to remove the rear part of the forwardcontrol linkage to the master cylinder and put the stock mid brake lever and foot peg back on. Any tips for removing the two exhaust flange nuts (they are rusty), and for the amount of freeplay for the brake pedal adjustment? Sorry, but the manual in coming from Zanotti's they said about a week or 10 days.

Thanks again guys !

Quick Reply: 1993 FXLR Help Needed