EVO All Evo Model Discussion

forwards on a bagger

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014 | 04:50 PM
Jasper86
|
Road Captain
Default forwards on a bagger

anyone run em? been having some difficulty since the big bore swap trying to keep my damned foot on the board (right side). I'm tall ( 6'4''), but not overly long inseam (33-34")...and i ALWAYS feel like my foots about to fall off the floorboard (part of this is due to the fact that theres ~ 2" more motor/intake on the right side of the bike than there used to be).

Ive pretty much resorted to riding around most of the time with my right leg on my highway peg.

drago's pipe includes spacers to push the floorboard out (about 3/4" i think)...not comfortable spacing them out any more than that....already dragging the board a LOT more than I used to on that side)...and its not exactly comfortable anyways.

If I throw my legs up where they *want* to be, my heel pretty much rests on the front 1/3rd of the floorboard, and I have to hang my toe way out to miss the brake pedal (already extended that out so it was usable). I started thinking....hey, ya know 2up/2forward controls would be fantastic here...but I've never seen em on a bagger (after some research...I did find a few, but holy **** I'm not about to spend $1000 on an experiment). biggest upside that I can see is i'd get real pegs instead of the boards (which I've never found particularly comfortable...was always a mid-controls fan but it isn't really feasible on a bagger)

any suggestions? anyone running forwards on a dresser?

Old 10-07-2014 | 05:06 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I looked into it a few years ago. I'm 6' 5", and used spacers to move the boards out 3/4" as well as Bubba Brakes extended boards (forward 1"-1 1/2") and board brackets from Indycustombikes that extended the boards forward another 1 1/2". The foot boards are now 1/2" from the engine guard. I too have an extended brake lever as well as an extended shifter. I figured that I had enough invested in the above that "experimenting" with forwards wasn't worth it. If I had to do it over again, I may have opted for forwards, I spend 90% of my time on the foot pegs low on the engine guard anyway.

Old 10-07-2014 | 05:07 PM
gchristopher9
Road Captain

check out vtwingoodies floorboard extensions. I run a set on my deluxe and not have a lot more room to stretch out. they push the boards out about 2".

Old 10-07-2014 | 05:26 PM
Jasper86
|
Road Captain

beemer: thats what I was looking for. i have maybe $100 into trying to make them work as it is (most of that was the extended brake pedal I (had) to use to clear the dragos pipes)....so I'm not entirely in the hole yet.

Originally Posted by gchristopher9
check out vtwingoodies floorboard extensions. I run a set on my deluxe and not have a lot more room to stretch out. they push the boards out about 2".

I appreciate the input....but I already have extensions.....and I dont like them (i ride the tires off this bike...it gets leaned enough that I've replaced the floorboards on this bike twice already)....the extensions are terrifying to me....I cant lean as far as I used to....i vividly remember the first time it grabbed pavement....made no sense to me because i wasn't over as far as I usually am....and then I remembered my boards are now 1" closer to the ground in a corner. still bothers me.

my issue may end up being in whether or not they'll actually clear my pipes. the extensions that are in there now are for function only. the right side board won't clear the pipes without them, so they'll stay for now.

Old 10-07-2014 | 09:13 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

any suggestions?
You need to sleep instead of looking at ceiling fan thinking and talking to yourself

Old 10-08-2014 | 04:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

You're just too tall......

An alternative is to have your seat remodelled so you are a bit further back, also raised, to use up some of your spare legs!

This thread must be rare on HDF, with so many members keen to almost slam their bikes.....

Old 10-08-2014 | 04:30 PM
nyokie
Tourer

try a set of these engine guard rests, i ride with my heel on my board and my toe on the "heel arm" of the rest.Gives that dyna forward control feel to the ride. Im 6"3 with a 36" inseam, lets me ride comfy, and go completely to rest when out on the highway

Attached Thumbnails forwards on a bagger-20141008_172502.jpg  
Old 10-08-2014 | 07:34 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown

An alternative is to have your seat remodelled so you are a bit further back, also raised, to use up some of your spare legs!

This thread must be rare on HDF, with so many members keen to almost slam their bikes.....
Graham might be right, yet again, because I have a seat made for a taller rider my legs are uncomfortably too short for the highway pegs if I'm back in my seat. I'm only 5'11" so I'm sure the seat is made for somebody taller than my 31" inseam.
Try my seat on your bike and see if there is any noticeable difference. If Graham is wrong I'll let EveryBody know.

Tom

Old 10-08-2014 | 08:29 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by grbrown

I never understood why HD sells a seat for vertically gifted folks that sticks you higher up on the bike. I sat on one and it was wierd. My Corbin moves me back 2" and down 1" or 1 1/2". I get even more legroom sitting in the bike rather than upon the bike.

Lots of alternatives, and some of us have tried a few.
All in all, it always boils down to whatever is best for you and only you.

Old 10-09-2014 | 07:44 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

I tried putting forward controls on my Roadie. Nothing against the manufacturer, but they were not comfortable at all. The lasted one month with one 1000 mile ride, by the end they were torture devices and I went back to the boards.