EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Noob to EVO some advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 10:05 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Noob to EVO some advice please

I am looking at a 86 and 93 FXR. Been interested in them for a while and before I pull the trigger thought I'd ask for some advice.

Any gotchas on the EVO's especially the FXR models? I know next to nothing about the EVO's and can barely spell it. I had a 2000 FXDX and loved it. Should have never gotten rid of it but I did. Traded it for a 10 Ultra Classic LTD and love the Ultra. But in the back of my mind I want a smaller bike to kick around town and maybe some short day trips. Not going to trade the Ultra but want another bike in the garage. I've been looking at Dyna's and just can't make up my mind. Then I thought "Hey! How about a FXR?" and so the hunt began.

I haven't been to see either of these and thought I'd get some background before I start wasting the sellers time.

The 86 has only 19k miles and looks good in the pictures.
I don't know the miles on the 93 but I like it better because it has forward controls and comes with a couple of seats and bags. Both have windshields.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

You won't be wasting the time of the sellers to go see them in person. I've went to look at many bikes and vehicles that looked good in pictures but being up close and personal with them told another story. Do yourself a favor, go look at both, ride both, make notes of pros and cons of each and then you can make an informed decision.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:30 AM
M1dniterider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as differences between the two, the 93 has a 39mm front end and if I'm not mistaken the 86 has a 35mm. The 39mm has less flex.

I have a 93 FXLR and love it.

Eric Buell had a big hand in designing the FXR frame. It is an excellent handling bike. Some (myself included) believe it to be the best handling bike to come from the moco. The dyna replaced it, not because it was better, but because the frame was cheaper to manufacture.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:32 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvorchak
I am looking at a 86 and 93 FXR. Been interested in them for a while and before I pull the trigger thought I'd ask for some advice.

Any gotchas on the EVO's especially the FXR models? I know next to nothing about the EVO's and can barely spell it. I had a 2000 FXDX and loved it. Should have never gotten rid of it but I did. Traded it for a 10 Ultra Classic LTD and love the Ultra. But in the back of my mind I want a smaller bike to kick around town and maybe some short day trips. Not going to trade the Ultra but want another bike in the garage. I've been looking at Dyna's and just can't make up my mind. Then I thought "Hey! How about a FXR?" and so the hunt began.

I haven't been to see either of these and thought I'd get some background before I start wasting the sellers time.

The 86 has only 19k miles and looks good in the pictures.
I don't know the miles on the 93 but I like it better because it has forward controls and comes with a couple of seats and bags. Both have windshields.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

the 86 is going to be worth more when restored there's a lot of hard to find parts that are roll overs from the shovel days. if your wanting a lot more reliability and don't care about losing money on the resale get the 93. but that's just my opinion.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:00 AM
FinGlide
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

86 has better cam than 1993 model which have very mild cam. On the other hand 93 has many upgraded parts in clutch and other areas and spare parts are much easier to find. Tuff decision, ride both and take the one what you like more.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:17 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I'd be more interested in the '93.
Harley did several upgrades between '86 and '93.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,470 Likes on 5,050 Posts

The 86 has the old starter configuration, and the tapered mainshaft/clutch hub, and the old clutch lever arm.

If the carb is original, it is the old Keihin butterfly carb (junk).

Grab the `93.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:36 AM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I'd be more interested in the '93.
Harley did several upgrades between '86 and '93.

I would also be a little concerned about the extremely low mileage on the '86. IMO, it's sometimes worse for a bike to just sit for extended periods, versus being ridden regularly. Or the seller is BS'n about the miles, which is not a good sign either.
I still would look @ both, though...

Old 10-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

I like the 86 model. I would say, however, to look at both and pick the one in the best condition. Oh, and the 87 had a hotter cam than the 86, but still, put an EV-something in instead.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Forwards disqualify the fxr from fxr status. Buy the Dyna for less than $4995

Quick Reply: Noob to EVO some advice please