EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Brackets Options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Gone Blue
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Brackets Options?

I have a 97' Electra Glide Classic that I want to add the tour pack quick disconnect brackets to and I have found types out there and I am wondering what the difference is? Looking for a 2 up configuration.

The first rack with a grey background is the most common one that I have seen which I believe uses the "A" rear brackets and HD #53803-06 forward mount brackets.

How does rack with the pink background mount and are there pro's or con' with either style?

Thanks, G.B.

Attached Thumbnails Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Brackets Options?-hd-detach-rack.jpg   Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Brackets Options?-detach-brkts.jpg   Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Brackets Options?-detach-rack.jpg  
Old 11-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Ken Oaff
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

don't know if it will fit 97 but its bolt on for 86

79 flt shovel 3 channel rack and early style qd brackets on bottom of box

Attached Thumbnails Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Brackets Options?-dscn2424.jpg  
Old 11-29-2013, 12:55 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Measure the openings between the two racks. The later one 53803-06 will use the two docking points on the docking station you have. The second (53107-96) one needs an additional set of docking points further toward the front of the bike (53104-97B).

I have all 3 sets of docking points on mine, but I used 53803-06 rack. I think it looks better.

Last edited by larsfum; 11-29-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 1990 FLHTCU and I used rear docking kit 53804-06 and had to get two mounting bolts 5/16-18X2.75 to make it work. It work really nice and looks good to .

Old 12-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Gone Blue
Tourer

Thanks to all for your info. I think I am going to hold off on the quick disconnect kit right now. I am kind of liking the look with the tour pack removed and the rack staying on the bike. I plan to use the tour pack on a few trips next summer so I don't want to loose the ability to put it back on. Remove Three screws, one electrical connector (it's a Classic, no CB) and the antenna cable and the pack is off in no time. I picked up a HD low seat tonight and it really cleans up the look. I just need to figured out an antenna mount for when the tour pack is off.

Thanks again, G.B.

Attached Thumbnails Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Brackets Options?-image.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a '95 FLHTC and we used the one on the pink background. We used the late maode rear docking kit with a front kit that was a bolt and the black crommet. We had to shim the kits out a little with stainless washers to make it work. If you like I could send you some pictures. It was an easy fit. The antenna mount we used is the relocated one for the Road Kings that bolts down on the rear of the saddlebag rail on the two bolts that bolt it on.
Hope this helps!!
John
John

Old 12-05-2013, 05:15 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Another option for the antenna mount is a hidden antenna like:
http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....tID=FPA-HCFM-P
Get a Y splitter like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Ca...item3cd49fd4fd
Plug the splitter into the radio. Attach one side to the hidden antenna. The other to the stock cable feed.

Best of both worlds.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Gone Blue
Tourer

Originally Posted by miacycles
I have a '95 FLHTC and we used the one on the pink background. We used the late maode rear docking kit with a front kit that was a bolt and the black crommet. We had to shim the kits out a little with stainless washers to make it work. If you like I could send you some pictures. It was an easy fit. The antenna mount we used is the relocated one for the Road Kings that bolts down on the rear of the saddlebag rail on the two bolts that bolt it on.
Hope this helps!!
John
John

Thanks John for your offer to post some pictures, but I think I am going to run without the quick disconnect kit for now. Right now I am OK with how my bike looks with the stock rack or tour pack mount on it. Especially since I added a clean low height seat that I just picked up. I plan to take a couple trips next year and use the tour pack.

Thanks again, G.B.

Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Brackets Options?-img_20131202_210122_503.jpg

Old 12-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Gone Blue
Tourer

Originally Posted by larsfum
Another option for the antenna mount is a hidden antenna like:
http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....tID=FPA-HCFM-P
Get a Y splitter like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Ca...item3cd49fd4fd
Plug the splitter into the radio. Attach one side to the hidden antenna. The other to the stock cable feed.

Best of both worlds.
Thanks larsfum for the links. However I am going to just add an antenna down low inboard of the left saddlebag ie Street Glide. I was at my local HD dealer today and came up with this antenna coupler after spending time with my parts guy. It is the antenna coupler out of the $120 remote antenna kit. All I need to do is fab up a small bracket and find a nut to thread onto the coupler. The antenna cable threads onto the big end and the mast threads on the smaller threads. This part cost $6.45!

G.B.

Tour Pack Quick Disconnect Brackets Options?-hd-antenna-adapter.jpg