EVO All Evo Model Discussion

FXR: What years are best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Ken Oaff
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich

I understand that there were a lot of changes in 1984, and that's about the least desirable year. The 1999's carry a pretty hefty price tag. I've heard bar room talk that 1990-1994 were the best years, but have no idea if that's factual.

1990 had bad cases that tended to crack

92-93 had inferior camshaft bearings

both the above should be fixed by now

early evos had 5 piece crank, later evos 3 piece crank

there is a school of thought that the earlier cranks are better and made of better quality material - but others will think other wise

personally I'd by pre 88 and get the earlier crank, but then I'm biased and have a 86 glide that's been around the clock a few times and the bottom end has never been apart

The following users liked this post:
O’Malley the Alley Cat (07-30-2022)
Old 11-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

I've always been impressed with the FXRs. Best handling chassis MoCo ever built. Be aware, the FXR models came in different flavors, with different rake angles, depending on the model. If I remember correctly, the FXR had a steeper rake than the FXRS. Among the many models were: FXR, FXRS, FXLR, FXRP, FXRD, FXRT, FXRS-CONV, and the CVO versions, FXR2, FXR3 & FXR4. (I may have missed a couple in there somewhere).

Put over 90 kmi on my 1991 FXRS that ended up more an FXRT than an FXRS by the time I got done changing things up to get it where I liked it.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

A couple of points about earlier posts.... The P model didn't have floorboards instead of mids, it had boards WITH mids. And all the models had the same rake, but the geometry varied with suspension height. Shocks and forks.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

I could be wrong, but I remember HD specs of 29 degrees rake & 31 degrees rake for different FXR models. Kinda like these specs in the attached. I know suspension parts are different lengths, so (I'm understanding) those rake angles are strictly suspension related and not due to differing frame geometry? Never looked at it that way before, but I hear what you're saying.

Attached Thumbnails FXR: What years are best?-fxr-rakes.jpg  

Last edited by Hammz; 11-03-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

yeah Hammz, like the softails the trees are raked. I have seen guys use the aftermarket VulcanWerks trees for softie springers that add an additional 7.5 degrees of rake.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:29 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Real good info here guys' thanks for your posts. That's exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get. Many thanks, and keep them coming in. I did a search prior to started this thread and wasn't able to find anything specific to the differences in FXR's. So I'm sure others will benefit from your input as well.

Thanks again, it's appreciated!

Old 11-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Ken Oaff
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
I could be wrong, but I remember HD specs of 29 degrees rake & 31 degrees rake for different FXR models.
I remember that as well

31 degrees always looked better

Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Roger that. Was thinking frame rake, not total rake. My bad.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:59 AM
Martin Anthony Nastasia
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you buy an fxr buy a later model they have a better transmition splined shaft. Is the best I own a 1990 fxlr and a 1992 fxrs-sp both are bad *** and I can’t complain the LR I raised in the back put 13 inch shocks in the back +2 in the front changed the wheals to 9 spoke mags put p bags on it and a full fairing and put a 88 inch S&S motor in it bike is a beast I love it the sp is mostly stock minus the bars seat and pipe I love them both u can’t go wrong with either fxr is still the best bike around oh I got floor boards on the sp and mids on the LR. IF U GET ONE U CANT GO WRONG

Old 07-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Martin Anthony Nastasia
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Anthony Nastasia

If you buy an fxr buy a later model they have a better transmition splined shaft. Is the best I own a 1990 fxlr and a 1992 fxrs-sp both are bad *** and I can’t complain the LR I raised in the back put 13 inch shocks in the back +2 in the front changed the wheals to 9 spoke mags put p bags on it and a full fairing and put a 88 inch S&S motor in it bike is a beast I love it the sp is mostly stock minus the bars seat and pipe I love them both u can’t go wrong with either fxr is still the best bike around oh I got floor boards on the sp and mids on the LR. IF U GET ONE U CANT GO WRONG

1990FXLR

Quick Reply: FXR: What years are best?