EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Avon Venom dry rot-warranty advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:19 AM
terrapin88
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Avon Venom dry rot-warranty advice

Hey guys. I had this in wheels and tires but moved it here to see if I get any responses.

I put a set of Avon Venoms on my 98 FXD in late 2010. A few months ago I realized the front had some dry rot in the treads.

Here's a link to my original post about it: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-cl...y-rotting.html

The date code on the front tire is 1310 which means the tire was made in 2010. Having bought the tires online I don't remember the retailer, nor do I have any receipts or paperwork. I know it was an authorized dealer because I got rebates with the tires. I did the work myself at home. After reading Avon's warranty procedure, it looks like I am SOL as far as them replacing it for free unless i go thru a dealer or retailer. It looks like I need to go through a dealer at least. But what dealer is going to want to deal with this?

Anyone dealt with Avon in a situation like mine? I called their Tech/Warranty line but got message telling me leave my name and they'd call me back.

It's in the 40's here most days now and I ready to ride, just not on this bum tire.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:36 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Seeing as how you bought it online and have no paperwork I think you are gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:00 PM
terrapin88
Tourer

I figured the same thing, but I'm hoping Avon will stand behind their product. If Avon makes this right I would buy another thinking I just got a lemon with the dry rot. If they give me a hassle and hide behind red warranty tape then I'll be buying a different brand and that will be my last Avon product. We'll see what they say. I've emailed and called.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:02 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Let us know what happens.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:25 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

IMO:Product has a date code and that should be sufficient to place a complaint with the DOT should it be required.
The manufacture should have little to no problem in assisting this individual.
Used vehicles get bought and sold daily so tires have date codes and other markings in order to facilitate identification.
If you are truly committed and wish to resolve this not only for yourself but others with a similar situation expect:
Immediate denial with first polite contact.
Then another denial in pre-made form letter form.
Then a change of heart when you report that the DOT has been contacted.
This is a possible life threatening situation and they should assist but sometimes it takes.
In order for them to wash their hands of this more than likely the distributor should just ship the tire to a licensed installer and then you cover installation cost.
Again expect no response and at least two denials.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:32 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are going to ask you if tire shine or Armorall was used.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:44 PM
terrapin88
Tourer

Thanks guys.

IM, great post. Lots of good info. Makes sense too. Looks like the route I will follow if needed.

TK, I'm sure they will be looking for an excuse. I don't wash my tires or shine them or anything else. I just check my pressures, look for any issues and ride on them.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:30 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the warranty is voided if you do not use lemon pledge on them at least once a month. the excessive strain placed on your entire drive line by those tires has also voided any warranty you might have had left on the motorcycle from the moco. tires that old should have all the thread worn off them by now anyhow. j/k
i would just go buy a new tire and get out and ride...keep the old one and you might get another one at some point in the future. sell that tire or keep it for your next replacement. life is too short to waste a lot of time with this.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:00 PM
terrapin88
Tourer

I probably will just buy a new tire Dan in the interest of time. I still want my current tire warranty replaced tho. I'd probably sell it to pay for the new tire. But if nothing else, I want Avon to take care of this out of principle. I don't know that they won't, but nobody from Avon has returned my email or call yet. We'll see. I'm not going to crap on Avon unless they prove they deserve it. Know what I mean Vern?

I hate tire shopping. I spent way too much mental effort reading bazillions of reviews from different boards about what tires to get last time when I decided on Avons. Seems like there are some "new" brands out there I haven't heard of before, or payed attention to anyway. I might just flip a coin, Metzelers or Dunlops, heads or tails. lol

PS-Lemon pledge did wonders for my paint. I dig the smell too.

Last edited by terrapin88; 03-30-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:30 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have a nice easter.

Quick Reply: Avon Venom dry rot-warranty advice