EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Why Dynas use longer oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:57 PM
AlgorNick
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why Dynas use longer oil filter?

Dealership recommended to use filter #63805-80A for my Dyna. It should be good because it's 30 micron size filter which is good for Evo engine. My manual says about filter #63812-90 (longer size) and it's dedicated for Dynas. Right now I'm using #63805-80A and start to hear some knocking sound from engine. Could it be related?

Old 11-10-2010, 05:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I copied these descriptions from a Harley dealer's website:

( Part No: 63805-80A )
Black, Long.'Fits late ’82-’84 FLH-80 Classics, ’82-’86 FXWG, FXSB, FXEF, ’79-early ’84 XL models.''Fits ’80-’98 FLT, FLHT, FLHR, ’82-’94 FXR, ’84-’98 Softails, ’84-’95 FXRP, FLHTP, late ’84-later XL and ’08-later XR models.

( Part No: 63812-90 )
Black, Extra Long.'Fits late ’82-’84 FLH-80 Classics, ’82-’86 FXWG, FXSB, FXEF, ’79-early ’84 XL models.''Fits ’80-’98 FLT, FLHT, FLHR, ’82-’94 FXR, ’84-’98 Softails, ’84-’95 FXRP, FLHTP, late ’84-later XL and ’08-later XR.

Apart from length they seem to be identical, so there should be no link between them and your noise. Prompts me to take a look at the difference when I am next at my dealers!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:23 AM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a guess but they use a longer filter because there's room for it. More filtration is better. Along those lines, I've been using twin cam filters for a few years. Read about it in American Iron I think and so far so good, apparently the twinkie filter has significantly higher level of filtration.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by woodnbow
Just a guess but they use a longer filter because there's room for it. More filtration is better. Along those lines, I've been using twin cam filters for a few years. Read about it in American Iron I think and so far so good, apparently the twinkie filter has significantly higher level of filtration.
There are two issues here. AlgorNick asked about two filters, one of which he describes as a Dyna filter. That is not supported by the descriptions I posted, the two numbers apparently being different in length only. However the longer one is recommended for early Dynas I have now found. It may be they have a longer service interval between oil changes?

I understand twincams do use a finer grade of filter. I have had an S&S motor fitted in my Evo and it was made very clear to me I should not use TC filters! Not sure why, except for some reason they are not suitable.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:34 AM
woodnbow
Tourer

Dontcha just love the straight scoop you can get on internet boards?

I've always heard the long filter called 'dyna filter' at the dealership and elsewhere even if the description doesn't. I've used them on Dyna's, tried to use them on FL's and couldn't because they were too long to fit.

I'd agree, the knocking noise is not likely to be related to the filter, I'd look elsewhere.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:53 AM
AlgorNick
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
There are two issues here. AlgorNick asked about two filters, one of which he describes as a Dyna filter. That is not supported by the descriptions I posted, the two numbers apparently being different in length only. However the longer one is recommended for early Dynas I have now found. It may be they have a longer service interval between oil changes?

I understand twincams do use a finer grade of filter. I have had an S&S motor fitted in my Evo and it was made very clear to me I should not use TC filters! Not sure why, except for some reason they are not suitable.
Interval is 5K miles on Dynas. It looks like the size is only difference. It's good to hear.

TwinCam filter #63798-99A is not suitable with EVO engine. I think because it's 5 microns filtration.

Here is info about it: http://www.hdtalking.com/oil_related....html#post3909

Old 11-10-2010, 02:34 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The long filter will work on any EVO that it will physically fit on. The twin cam filter has a by-pass valve that takes more pressure tto open it if the filter is clogged that the average EVO can generate normally. This would lead to a disasterous end to your engine, as they do not normally like to run very long with out oil flow.This is also a problem with some of the car filters that peope get from advance auto, etc. Just because it screws on and oil goes through it doesn't mean that it is the proper filter. Hope this helps.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:41 PM
woodnbow
Tourer

Thanks all, I'm pulling my filters now...

Not to hijack but John, will you pm me your contact info? Thanks,

Old 11-10-2010, 04:53 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by miacycles
The twin cam filter has a by-pass valve that takes more pressure to open it if the filter is clogged that the average EVO can generate normally. This would lead to a disasterous end to your engine, as they do not normally like to run very long with out oil flow.
John, thanks for that!

Old 11-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Ramona
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlgorNick
Interval is 5K miles on Dynas. It looks like the size is only difference. It's good to hear.

TwinCam filter #63798-99A is not suitable with EVO engine. I think because it's 5 microns filtration.

Here is info about it: http://www.hdtalking.com/oil_related....html#post3909
According to older articles in American Iron....the 5 micron filters shouldn't be used on the Evos....these articles were done by Donny Smith. Will have to dig them out.

Quick Reply: Why Dynas use longer oil filter?