EVO All Evo Model Discussion

s&s carburetor won't stop flowing gas!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 PM
elevenbravo78
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down s&s carburetor won't stop flowing gas!

on my 1986 wide glide, recently realized I had trash in my tanks, first thing that made me figure that out was gas and a bit of tiny particles that looked like sand was pouring out from my S&S carburetor! ****! opened the bowl to the carburetor, hoping that would do it. Put the plug to the bowl back on. soon as I turned the gas back on it was free flowing again, out of the carburetor. any suggestions? could it be the float is stuck open? how do I fix this? I don't have much experience with carbs, but I am willing to figure this thing out. I'm determined. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by elevenbravo78; 03-24-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:38 PM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by elevenbravo78
on my 1986 wide glide, recently realized I had trash in my tanks, first thing that made me figure that out was gas and a bit of tiny particles that looked like sand was pouring out from my S&S carburetor! ****! opened the bowl to the carburetor, hoping that would do it. Put the plug to the bowl back on. soon as I turned the gas back on it was free flowing again, out of the carburetor. any suggestions? could it be the float is stuck open? how do I fix this? I don't have much experience with carbs, but I am willing to figure this thing out. I'm determined. any help would be greatly appreciated.

if there was trash in the tank and bowl, there is trash in the needle and seat, i dont know much about s and s carbs, but i know they are simple, so take it all apart and spray it down with carb cleaner, hope that helps. chad.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:46 PM
elevenbravo78
Cruiser

thanks chad, I'll try that. seems to me something must be stuck open, obviously because the gas just won't stop running out. probably gunky crap inside it still. Tomorrow I'm gonna take it apart and see if cleaning it out does the trick.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:17 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

simple, undue the 4 screws on the bottom of the bowl, drop it down and clean it out, put it back on and you should be good to go.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:54 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Put a can under it and let some fuel flow to flush it out. Then put an in-line filter on it.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:47 AM
M&D88FXSTC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

havent had an S&S apart but had several others apart, cars, dirt bikes lawnmowers etc...sounds like a stuck open needle to me. the grit is prob just sediment from the bowl gettin washed out, I wouldnt be too concerned. take the carb bowl off, should be a float on a pivot attached to a small needle valve thats gettin stuck in its bore. clean the bore (seat) with a rag around a small screwdriver CAREFULLY. clean the needle & inspect for wear, most have a small rubber cone lookin tip on em to seal. if all looks good reassemble.
theirs probably a kit for yer carb to replace just those components relatively cheaply sense you'll have it apart but they rarely go bad in my experience, just get gunked up.

or....whap side of carb lightly with small hammer couple times will un-stick em lol....quick fix

good luck!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:49 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

did the same as M&D88FXSTC said to my S&S a few months back, been working fine since.

The following users liked this post:
djamesgoodwin (01-13-2023)
Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Have had this happen a couple of times, on the S&S super E, the easiest way that has worked for me is to shut off the fuel petcock and disconnect the fuel line to the carb.

Then grab a 5/8" wrench and loosen the brass fitting that the inlet hose attaches to a few turns. Don't take it out all the way or the needle will pop loose, that is where the needle sits and loosening it up a few turns will lift the needle from the seat and the fuel will pour out of the loosened inlet when you do this and then flush the grit out and let the needle sit flush again.. Then tighten it back up a few turns and attach the fuel line.

Then take the 5/8" wrench and remove the brass bolt at the bottom of the bowl to flush whatever crap is still left in the fuel bowl. from there, replace the bolt and turn the fuel on , the gas coming out of the overflow should have stopped.

If not, then it's time to take off the carb and inspect the tang on the float and the needle and seat to see if it there is an issue.

The following users liked this post:
Alienwulf (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Alienwulf
Supporter
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 89FLHT
Have had this happen a couple of times, on the S&S super E, the easiest way that has worked for me is to shut off the fuel petcock and disconnect the fuel line to the carb.

Then grab a 5/8" wrench and loosen the brass fitting that the inlet hose attaches to a few turns. Don't take it out all the way or the needle will pop loose, that is where the needle sits and loosening it up a few turns will lift the needle from the seat and the fuel will pour out of the loosened inlet when you do this and then flush the grit out and let the needle sit flush again.. Then tighten it back up a few turns and attach the fuel line.

Then take the 5/8" wrench and remove the brass bolt at the bottom of the bowl to flush whatever crap is still left in the fuel bowl. from there, replace the bolt and turn the fuel on , the gas coming out of the overflow should have stopped.

If not, then it's time to take off the carb and inspect the tang on the float and the needle and seat to see if it there is an issue.
Worked like a champ..