EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Opinions on buying a 98 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 10:34 AM
internet troll
Road Master
Received 733 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Opinions on buying a 98 Road King

There is a 98 Road King available locally that I can probably buy in the 4-5K price range. 46K miles, bike looks great, comes with lots of extras and only needs tires per the owner. He did state (this is where my red flags go up) that the bike will get a check engine light for the first 10-20 seconds of idle, but the light goes out and the bike runs fine. I know Evo's are rock solid, but Ive also read the fuel injection can be problematic. Does this one red light foretell bigger issues or just a nuance of a 25 year old bike that hasnt been ridden much in the last 10 years?

Im looking for a nice easy winter 'cleaner upper' that Ill need to do minimal work on. I dont want to mess with a bunch of electronics but I am capable of basic multi-meter diagnostics and such. Ive been riding and maintaining Harleys for 20 years, so Im not new to the game, I just wanted to hear from guys who own the same model and know what the more common malfunctions and such are.

Old 10-03-2021, 11:49 AM
Garageking
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I picked up a 98 FLHRCI myself when the world shut down. I needed a lot of help and I spent months on the forum learning. But after all that, I am growing awfully attached to her now.
Look for stored codes.
During my first season of wrenching on it, I saw an engine light and the thing stuttered and died. No more light after that. Long story short, engine temp sensor. Easy peasy.
The MM injection is limited but SIMPLE. Just a few inputs need to be verified. Dont let that light scare you I say.

Old 10-03-2021, 11:56 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

On later model bikes the engine light remains on for a few seconds to indicate there are trouble codes available. You can check to see if that is the case.
Also read this post:

Retrieving Trouble Codes?????? - Harley Davidson Forums (hdforums.com)

Old 10-03-2021, 12:35 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

The light going on and off indicates a historic fault code. I'd pull up the trouble code using the process IM has in Bingee's link. It's probably not something fatal to the bike, seeing that it still runs. It could be something as simple as a fault generated from a mis-start. Historic codes that do not reoccur will usually clear themselves after 50 restarts.

46k miles will soon be time for new lifters. Probably time for a new fuel filter soon too. Check the base gaskets and rocker box gaskets for leaks as well. I wouldn't shy away from it if everything else checks out. Garageking and I will tell you that Sinister Blue Pearl is the best color for 1998.

Old 10-03-2021, 12:42 PM
Garageking
Tourer

Speaking of lifters, let's get at that cam bearing and see if it is torrington or stock (trouble)
mine was stock at 50k+ but looked fine, tossed it anyway, insurance

Old 10-03-2021, 01:59 PM
kink04fxd
Tourer
Received 209 Likes on 96 Posts

Good luck finding a fuel filter for the M/M FI.

Old 10-03-2021, 02:04 PM
Garageking
Tourer

I did mine with a pump (old one was noisy) , just spend couple seconds looking and found Quantum pump, filter gaskets etc. Under 100 bucks

The following users liked this post:
RLH3175 (10-05-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 02:06 PM
Garageking
Tourer

The check valves in the tank are nearly gone, but i found one few hours away searching dealerships, its all doable, no fear

Old 10-03-2021, 05:14 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

I would use the check engine light issue as a bargaining chip on the price. If you take the time to learn the MMI fuel injection system, it isn't that hard.

By the way, Mystic Green/Vivid Black was the best color available for 98. You'll just have to deal with sinister blue. We can't have everything.

carl

Old 10-03-2021, 05:24 PM
Garageking
Tourer

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Quick Reply: Opinions on buying a 98 Road King