EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dyna Evo Cam Chest Analysis Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 07:12 AM
monchidog
HDF Community Team
Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
All that oil coke probably came from when it was low on oil pressure and ran way above normal running temperatures.
Do people sleeve the vent valve bore? Or can an oversized valve be obtained and just rebore it. I would think back in bikes younger day, that would require a new block.
Hi Ripsaw, yep some of the previous guys have said about re-boring it +0.030 and getting an S&S breather which they also sell an oversized option at +0.030 so hopefully this will work.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:51 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Maybe I missed it, but, what was the source of the debris that caused all the damage.

Never mind the black stuff for now, just curious...

Old 03-01-2021, 09:21 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 4,130 Posts

Originally Posted by monchidog
Hi guys, I was looking at a Shane Conley video working on an Evo and noticed the end of the pinion shaft....to my eyes it looks like mine, tapered right at the end. I've attached a screen grab from the video next to mine, not great quality. If that's right then I am perhaps a little happier or am i looking at the wrong section? Is the chamfer on the very end marked A, "normal", but the section inward from that, marked B, is "cigar" shaped...which it is I think? Which section are you guys referring to?

Thanks again. And 98hotrodfatboy, I'm just continuing on this post.

That bevel in the machining process of turning is normally much smaller and is just to relieve a sharp edge. In this case, it's an engineering dimension to allow for play, or let's call it sag. When you replace the cover, it allows the shafts to lift up and enter the bearings supporting that end of the shaft without damaging the soft bearings.

The barrel or cigar is a concern. You need to carefully measure engage area in that outboard bearing. Hopefully, it's not running there. If it is, you just may need to have that shaft turned or maybe ground and a new bearing fabricated. A good service manual should tell you running clearances. At this point, if you plan on keeping the bike forever, doing it all back to spec would be best including a good hot dip. Or a few cans of brake clean, carb cleaner, whatever cuts it. Wear eye and mask protection.

I did my Jeep rebuild in a 40 year old fiberglass sandbox to clean components.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-01-2021 at 10:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
monchidog (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 09:44 AM
monchidog
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Maybe I missed it, but, what was the source of the debris that caused all the damage.

Never mind the black stuff for now, just curious...
Around 4 years ago when i bought the bike from the UK she developed a really bad noise, hard to describe but not good. When I eventually took her in to the indy they found that the pistons were badly scarred due to lack of oil. The problem was later uncovered as a woodruff key on one of the oil shafts that had broken and caused the debris and lack of oil. I dont know if this was also the cause of the inion shaft being slightly bent - but they put new sleeves into the pistons and fixed the problem but told me to not push her too hard as the pinion shaft runout was a potential problem. I dont know how much it was out by.

I used the bike over the last 4 years and she ran fine (to me), no massive trips but she had no problems. On longer rides she leaked more than usual but I assumed this was normal for the most part until I fixed some selas etc. I always checked the oil levels but kept her lean, to the level of "cold" even when she was hot. I'd read this was ok. Another change I made was to re-direct the Crankcase Breather from going back into my Air Filter just out to the road (no filter, just leaves a mark of the road when I park).

Thats all the main engine issues.

I've got 2 short videos I shot of the cylinders back in April last year with an endoscope camera...not brilliant quality but it perhaps gives an idea to the trained eye- But I dont know how to upload them.

Thanks for any input.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:37 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

I’m just wondering at what point do you say enough with this engine and look for another.

I know a used engine has its own set of risks, but if you find one from a reputable salvage/dismantler with a known mileage engine... might be worthwhile to consider.

Just noticed one on fleabay with less than 20k miles, ran before removal, no known issues for 1775 delivered. I have no affiliation.

Might want to at least consider the total cost of your rebuild.

The following 2 users liked this post by Yankee Dog:
98hotrodfatboy (03-01-2021), mike131 (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 11:51 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,389 Likes on 3,604 Posts

I've chased the rabbit down the hole too many times and maybe YD has a valid point....

No matter how you look at it the crank and the case needs quite a bit of work.. To resurrect might not be the way to go.. Even the previous indy suggested being careful......

Old 03-01-2021, 12:23 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I've chased the rabbit down the hole too many times and maybe YD has a valid point....

No matter how you look at it the crank and the case needs quite a bit of work.. To resurrect might not be the way to go.. Even the previous indy suggested being careful......
We have all been there, but like my Dad would say "don't be putting good money after bad..."

98hotrodfatboy (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 03:31 PM
monchidog
HDF Community Team

Thanks Yankee Dog and 98Fatboyhotrod. I take it all on board...I am sitting here every day since I opened her up afraid to move in any direction....particularly chasing the rabbit down the hole.

The situation at the moment economically is not great so I really have a couple of options....I try and sell the bike as is for whatever cash I can get and start saving for something else, I put the whole thing on hold until I can afford a new used engine, or I chase the rabbit down the hole and cross my fingers. I can maybe get around €1,500 together but this wouldn't be enough for a used engine out here in Spain and to be honest given the expertise around here I'm not sure how easy it will be to do the tricky stuff, even finding a machinist is not easy. I don't have any "friends" with tools either.

I'll give it another few days and then see where I am but I am glad you guys are chipping in as you have much more experience in rebuilds and engines generally so will be giving me some honest advice on my direction. Thanks people.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:43 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,265 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Box it up and send it to Hillside for a complete rebuild. I think if you dont' go whole hog and redo this thing from the very inside out you're going to be sorry. I bet the inside of the crankcase looks like an Arabian nightmare. I saw something that looked like it was going to need welding no one else mentioned too.

carl

K. Lindberg (03-07-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 03:54 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,389 Likes on 3,604 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Box it up and send it to Hillside for a complete rebuild. I think if you dont' go whole hog and redo this thing from the very inside out you're going to be sorry. I bet the inside of the crankcase looks like an Arabian nightmare. I saw something that looked like it was going to need welding no one else mentioned too.

carl
I think shipping from Gibraltar is going to break him, he's kind of on his own on this as he stated he doesn't even have any decent local Indy's in Spain...

Quick Reply: Dyna Evo Cam Chest Analysis Please