EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Weld mod original or buy a chopper frame?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 08:20 PM
Beardedglitcher
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weld mod original or buy a chopper frame?

I just picked up a 97 wide glide in good shape pretty cheap it’s my third bike (m8 road glide and an xb Buell) my dream third bike was a shovel chopper but couldn’t afford the price all at once. I’m 99 percent sure I want to go to a rigid with this but I’m torn on whether or not to modify my existing number matching frame if done I would also add some rake to the neck and add some length to the fork orrr just purchase a frame already setup with the dimensions I’m looking for keeping my stock wheels, I’m 6’3” 250 so I would want some rise and rake to match the rise but balanced and not toooo radical
thanks for any advise I’ve had mixed reviews locally

Old 10-29-2020, 09:03 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Beardedglitcher
I just picked up a 97 wide glide in good shape pretty cheap it’s my third bike (m8 road glide and an xb Buell) my dream third bike was a shovel chopper but couldn’t afford the price all at once. I’m 99 percent sure I want to go to a rigid with this but I’m torn on whether or not to modify my existing number matching frame if done I would also add some rake to the neck and add some length to the fork orrr just purchase a frame already setup with the dimensions I’m looking for keeping my stock wheels, I’m 6’3” 250 so I would want some rise and rake to match the rise but balanced and not toooo radical
thanks for any advise I’ve had mixed reviews locally
cut up that stock frame! It isn't worth a lot but its savings in headaches trying to register and insure a blue-tag bike will be worth its weight in gold!
Plus it's a Harley in the end so you'll be able to sell it when your shovel budget is reached.

The following users liked this post:
luckiestiff (10-30-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 09:15 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,023 Likes on 17,920 Posts

Depends on your skills, shop tools & equipment and local laws. Myself I wouldn't touch a later dyna frame, too much boxed & stamped out welded form fitted stuff on one. Not like the old heavy duty shovel & pan frames you could get busy on. What I've seen of them doing a hardtail conversion isn't going to a simple job.

Racepres (10-30-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 09:55 PM
Naz
Road Captain

Received 759 Likes on 319 Posts

Have you ever ridden a rigid? I outgrew that when I was 18. I'm building one for my son right now with a Kraft Tech frame. Quality frame but as stated above, depending on what state you live in it may save you a lot of heartburn sticking with the OEM frame. But if you really want a rigid frame, Kraft Tech makes some good ones.

The following 2 users liked this post by Naz:
Hey Man (11-05-2020), Racepres (10-30-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 10:33 PM
Beardedglitcher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Depends on your skills, shop tools & equipment and local laws. Myself I wouldn't touch a later dyna frame, too much boxed & stamped out welded form fitted stuff on one. Not like the old heavy duty shovel & pan frames you could get busy on. What I've seen of them doing a hardtail conversion isn't going to a simple job.
ya so I agree with both of you why I’m torn, my state is a pain in the *** wants frame number however the bike is registered and insured,, my skills in welding are zero (I would love to learn and prob would quickly as I am a hands on guy with an artist background) I know a couple guys one says send to his friend who will weld it another says **** that get a frame that can have numb3rs

Old 10-29-2020, 10:38 PM
Beardedglitcher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Naz
Have you ever ridden a rigid? I outgrew that when I was 18. I'm building one for my son right now with a Kraft Tech frame. Quality frame but as stated above, depending on what state you live in it may save you a lot of heartburn sticking with the OEM frame. But if you really want a rigid frame, Kraft Tech makes some good ones.
Ya so I haven’t at speed wish I could before pulling the trigger as my back is already ****ed up but I have had a crazy mini chopper that did about 40 and I loved it I also had a super glide with slammer shocks stiffened all the way up also loved it I ride my road glide suspension stiffened up I think I will love it but just have to watch what’s ahead of me ... don’t think I’ll be able to “move on” till I have one

Old 10-29-2020, 11:16 PM
Naz
Road Captain

Received 759 Likes on 319 Posts

Start looking for an older build that needs a rehab vs. trying to fabricate one from an existing frame or starting from scratch. You'll be time & money ahead by picking up one with potential that you can restomod to your liking. Don't spend too much on this bucket list item as you very likely won't use it much. They are much better looking than riding.

Beardedglitcher (10-29-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 06:00 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,471 Likes on 3,646 Posts

There are bolt on and weld on hardtail kits available out there.. Lowbro customs has some as well as some other companies... As for wanting to get more rake you can always just do bolt on triple trees instead of messing with the neck.. There's a lot of options out there..

Beardedglitcher (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 06:45 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,235 Likes on 5,852 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
As for wanting to get more rake you can always just do bolt on triple trees instead of messing with the neck.. There's a lot of options out there..

If you do raked cups, and raked trees, you can keep the trail numbers reasonable...

The following 2 users liked this post by Tom84FXST:
Beardedglitcher (10-30-2020), Racepres (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 07:02 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 670 Posts

Here is my advice to you...and as someone who has built quite a few bikes and used a rigid as my daily rider for Many years.

Yours is a Dyna frame and there will be no weld on hardtail kit for it. A "good" (emphasis on good) chopper shop will be able to build your frame into a hardtail. It won't be cheap. It will be nice to retain the rubber mounts on the driveline and allow you to use your current transmission. Titling will be easiest in this way because it's already titled.

Option 2 is to get a hardtail frame. Buy new and save the mso. You will need it. I haven't had a whole lot of trouble titling builds, because I save my receipts and our dhsmv is pretty good here in the state of Florida. You will need a new transmission case with this way unless you buy a rubbermounted hardtail frame. (There is one for sale in the classifieds right now at a great price). If you go this route the frame should be the first thing you buy so you can figure out the rest of the parts. Anything is doable. If you are building the bike and have limited knowledge as far as the process. Plan on spending more than you thought and you will be buying parts multiple times because you bought the wrong stuff.

If you setup a hardtail correctly, with proper rider geometry, it is not as bad as everyone will lead you to believe. I.e. mid controls, or floorboards, sprung Seat and no bars that put you in a c position.

Most important thing to think about. Have fun

The following 5 users liked this post by misfitJason:
Beardedglitcher (10-30-2020), DaveE (11-03-2020), Naz (10-30-2020), Sportfisher23 (10-30-2020), TwiZted Biker (10-30-2020)

Quick Reply: Weld mod original or buy a chopper frame?