EVO All Evo Model Discussion

CV carb float

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020 | 09:52 PM
JeMangus
|
Intermediate
Default CV carb float

Hey appreciate someone's knowledge I'm lacking. Pulled out float on 1990 FLTCU to do full clean. Pin holding float bowl removed easily, I remember there was a little bit of a resistance. Now On putting it back in, the pin is loose no matter what direction I put it in. Afraid it will drop out with any vibration

any thoughts?

Old 04-30-2020 | 09:12 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

The pin is tapered and the holes are ever so slightly different. There is an arrow on the carb body that indicates the direction the pin is to be removed.

Most often, if attempted to drive out the wrong way, it will break one of the standoffs the pin mounts into. It's possible there was attempt to go the wrong way at some point in time and loosened the holes before one broke, or maybe someone put a pin from a butterfly carb in, who knows....

If you have a micrometer, check to ensure you do have a tapered pin, and inspect the standoffs very closely for a crack. If your pin is tapered and the standoffs are not cracked, post back and I'll give you a fix. If you have a "straight" pin, order a 27535-88A from a dealer.

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020 | 11:52 AM
JeMangus
|
Intermediate
Default CV float bowl holding pin

Originally Posted by t150vej
The pin is tapered and the holes are ever so slightly different. There is an arrow on the carb body that indicates the direction the pin is to be removed.

Most often, if attempted to drive out the wrong way, it will break one of the standoffs the pin mounts into. It's possible there was attempt to go the wrong way at some point in time and loosened the holes before one broke, or maybe someone put a pin from a butterfly carb in, who knows....

If you have a micrometer, check to ensure you do have a tapered pin, and inspect the standoffs very closely for a crack. If your pin is tapered and the standoffs are not cracked, post back and I'll give you a fix. If you have a "straight" pin, order a 27535-88A from a dealer.

Pin is same size on both ends. Goes in same either side no matter which way you put in pin.

Last edited by JeMangus; 04-30-2020 at 12:02 PM. Reason: that's what I was expecting a tapered pin but it's not. Straight pin and no difference in how it goes in either side no matter which way you turn pin. No marks on carb either which surprised me too. I
Old 04-30-2020 | 12:12 PM
JeMangus
|
Intermediate
Default Pins

Yeah that's what I was expecting a tapered pin but it's not. Straight pin and no difference in how it goes in either side no matter which way you turn pin. No marks on carb either which surprised me too. It just sits in there loose, it looks like the bottom part of carb that covers float and screws together has some guiding slots that sit on each side of connecting pins. Maybe they hold it together?.

Old 04-30-2020 | 12:57 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

First, my apologies - the pin isn't tapered. Just seemed they always went back in better if oriented as removed.

Second, thanks very much for the photos. That's an early version of the Harley CV. The pin will float on those.

If you notice the length of the pin mounting stands from the base of the carb, you'll see they protrude into the bowl far enough that they sit in between the cast ridges of the bowl. The pin can't fall out after assembly.

Old 04-30-2020 | 12:58 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by JeMangus
Yeah that's what I was expecting a tapered pin but it's not. Straight pin and no difference in how it goes in either side no matter which way you turn pin. No marks on carb either which surprised me too. It just sits in there loose, it looks like the bottom part of carb that covers float and screws together has some guiding slots that sit on each side of connecting pins. Maybe they hold it together?.
I don't think white was the best color to choose.

The following 2 users liked this post by texashillcountry:
JeMangus (04-30-2020), Racepres (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020 | 01:01 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I don't think white was the best color to choose.

I didn't even see the post with white text ..... it was there, just couldn't see it as another post. No harm, no foul

The following users liked this post:
JeMangus (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020 | 01:18 PM
JeMangus
|
Intermediate
Default Pins

I was expecting pins to be tapered but its straight and carb holes are same. I tried inserting both ends of pins on both sides, it slips in the same on both. Loosely, which I was expecting to press in. It came out easy and I made sure I placed it exactly as it came out. No marks on carb for direction. I think it just rides loosely and is held in place by cover.

Old 04-30-2020 | 02:54 PM
JeMangus
|
Intermediate
Default Pin

Originally Posted by t150vej
First, my apologies - the pin isn't tapered. Just seemed they always went back in better if oriented as removed.

Second, thanks very much for the photos. That's an early version of the Harley CV. The pin will float on those.

If you notice the length of the pin mounting stands from the base of the carb, you'll see they protrude into the bowl far enough that they sit in between the cast ridges of the bowl. The pin can't fall out after assembly.

Yes, that's exactly what I thought. Just needed confirmation that I was correct as it was different than originally thought. You're good, must have some experience on all these different years of the CV carb. They used them for quite a while. Love my evo. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2020 | 08:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Forget I posted - I got lost....

It's been a long day!

Last edited by grbrown; 05-01-2020 at 08:23 AM.