EVO All Evo Model Discussion

86 Keihin Butterfly Carb question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019 | 07:35 AM
manleydawg08
|
Intermediate
Default 86 Keihin Butterfly Carb question

Hi.. I've posted here before on my hesitation issue. What I'm looking for help on before I take this carb apart /clean, get pissed and spend money on aftermarket lol.. Is this the Accelerator pump screw? Wondering if I adjust this like the SS I can get my hesitation resolved from idle. Tighten all the way, and start backing out until I have good throttle response. This is not my actual carb, just a pic I stole of what my carb is. I changed the pump diaphragm as I started to notice this hesitation, also notice when I would twist throttle, gas would come out of the boot. That is now resolved, but still have my hesitation at idle. I'm thinking just an adjustment? but I'm not familiar with these carbs. Don't want to start messing with the screws , not knowing what they are. Sorry.. Thank you in advance.

Old 11-13-2019 | 08:06 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

This is the Accelerator pump...and yes...you should adjust just like an S&S... Which means,..the accelerator pump should be Off...for adjustment...
that is... the accelerator pump is the very Last thing you put into play [adjust]
If you are Not going to do it the correct way... you cannot expect any worthwhile results!!!
In general... those ka-sneeze carbs come from the MoCo set very lean...in order to be EPA compliant..so jetting is Required... ie No amount of "squirting" is gonna help anything!!!

Old 11-13-2019 | 08:21 AM
manleydawg08
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Racepres
This is the Accelerator pump...and yes...you should adjust just like an S&S... Which means,..the accelerator pump should be Off...for adjustment...
that is... the accelerator pump is the very Last thing you put into play [adjust]
If you are Not going to do it the correct way... you cannot expect any worthwhile results!!!
In general... those ka-sneeze carbs come from the MoCo set very lean...in order to be EPA compliant..so jetting is Required... ie No amount of "squirting" is gonna help anything!!!
Thanks .. As I mentioned, I didn't do anything but replace the diaphragm in the carb AP . However , after I fixed that, didn't cause hesitation to go away, but gas stopped seeping out of the AP boot. So I'm wondering ( I bought bike this summer) if the adjustment is out of wack on the AP screw since the diaphragm is now fixed. I'll give it a shot before I put SS on it. Maybe prolong this carb another year or 2. ha ha

Old 11-13-2019 | 09:19 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by manleydawg08
Thanks .. As I mentioned, I didn't do anything but replace the diaphragm in the carb AP . However , after I fixed that, didn't cause hesitation to go away, but gas stopped seeping out of the AP boot. So I'm wondering ( I bought bike this summer) if the adjustment is out of wack on the AP screw since the diaphragm is now fixed. I'll give it a shot before I put SS on it. Maybe prolong this carb another year or 2. ha ha
The Keihin is Tuned exactly like an S&S...so, I suspect it would Not be a detriment to learn to Tune what you have!!!

Old 11-14-2019 | 05:33 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

Do not overlook the "compliance fittings".
The rubber seals that mount the intake to the heads. They dry up and crack, causing intake leaks.
Well worth checking before you do anything else.
Spray them while its running to check for leaks.

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019 | 07:07 AM
manleydawg08
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pjb
Do not overlook the "compliance fittings".
The rubber seals that mount the intake to the heads. They dry up and crack, causing intake leaks.
Well worth checking before you do anything else.
Spray them while its running to check for leaks.
Thank you Sir. This step I've done. All good. No leaks. If I end up taking carb off, I'll replace all that when I put back together. I'm thinking/hoping , I just need to adjust AP screw. Obviously will be awhile since Ohio is cold now. lol

Old 11-16-2019 | 06:44 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

You don't have to ride it to set it.. start at 0 turns out from bottom and blip the throttle, keep adjusting out (half turn at a time) till the hesitation disappears..

Old 11-16-2019 | 07:38 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Thank you Sir. This step I've done. All good. No leaks. If I end up taking carb off, I'll replace all that when I put back together. I'm thinking/hoping , I just need to adjust AP screw. Obviously will be awhile since Ohio is cold now. lol
Since that is the last step... I suspect it will be Just Fine, to start there.....NOT
After using the AP [Band Aid] and the lean from the Factory jets... I forsee yet another Keihin butterfly carb an the Market!!!!
May as well save some time and Buy, then learn to tune, something else!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2019 | 06:07 AM
Farm Shop
Tourer

Hi.. I've posted here before on my hesitation issue. What I'm looking for help on before I take this carb apart /clean, get pissed and spend money on aftermarket lol.. Is this the Accelerator pump screw? Wondering if I adjust this like the SS I can get my hesitation resolved from idle. Tighten all the way, and start backing out until I have good throttle response. This is not my actual carb, just a pic I stole of what my carb is. I changed the pump diaphragm as I started to notice this hesitation, also notice when I would twist throttle, gas would come out of the boot. That is now resolved, but still have my hesitation at idle. I'm thinking just an adjustment? but I'm not familiar with these carbs. Don't want to start messing with the screws , not knowing what they are. Sorry.. Thank you in advance.
That is actually the adjustment for the high idle feature these carbs have. Pull the choke half way out you get hi idle, pull it the rest of the way out you get the choke. No acc pump adjustment on these carbs.

I put an andrews accelerator pump kit on mine and it made noticible difference. They dont call these carbs a ka-sneeze for nothing!

Old 11-18-2019 | 08:22 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I never knew that the pump rod was not adjustable on the Keihin carb. Interesting... I'm currently running 42 HSR on a stroker Evo and the accelerator pump is disconnected but I've never had an issue with sneezing or coughing. The signal must be quite strong to be able to pull the fuel up without hesitation.. May be the reason it's so popular... But I still like my S&S carbs..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 11-18-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Quick Reply: 86 Keihin Butterfly Carb question