EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dual Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 10:15 AM
Fblo1690
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust?

I have a 1997 Fatboy that has the exhaust crossover under the air cleaner. I see a lot of EVOs with dual exhaust. Would I be hurting anything switching to duals? I want to expose more of the motor because I think it's beautiful. Or maybe an exhaust that has the crossover further down? Like a hidden one? Also what years will work on this one?

Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Generally a motor will loose some low end torque with a 2 into 2, dual exhaust; due to loss of scavenging effect. However, your current system, even though it has a cross over; is not really a scavenging collector type system.

I have a V&H double barrel on my Fatboy, that does have a hidden collector on it. Might look at something like that.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,741 Likes on 2,009 Posts

I like the Kerker 2 into 1 or 2 into 2 systems that Harley used to sell. I have the 2 into 1 system on my bike (in my avatar picture). It sounds good, performs great and gives me plenty of clearance for large saddlebags if you want.

They were hard to find for quite a while, but Supertrapp owns Kerker these days, and I've seen a lot of these systems showing up on eBay lately.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:11 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,672 Likes on 1,663 Posts

My "Y" pipe broke a while back, and I ended up putting true-dual headers on the Electra Glide.

If there's a difference in performance, I can't feel it.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:28 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I put softail dual's on my bike this past spring an I'm happy with the way it runs...I might be leaving a little performance on the table but I like the look. one thing to watch is the exhaust pipe for the rear head gets routed over the primary an puts some heat by your leg. I had to remove the heat shield an wrap that short section of the pipe an put the cover back on.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:49 PM
98FLHP
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The crossover on my 96 RK split and I went with Fullsac true duals. Excellent product.
Tried the eBay true duals first to save a few bucks. Big mistake. Not a quality product. Ended up costing me time and money.
Go Fullsac.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:46 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 98FLHP
The crossover on my 96 RK split and I went with Fullsac true duals. Excellent product.
I put the Fullsac true duals on mine several years back. I realize that 2 into 2 is not going to deliver the same performance, but I was unable to feel the difference on the butt dyno. True duals sure look and sound good.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:40 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Wink

BSA 'invented' that balance pipe back in the '60s IIRC, for styling purposes, but discovered that they got improved torque, so added it to all their twins. What followed is that every other twin maker on the planet copied them and still use it today. If you take a close look at a current Sportster (I happen to have one), that balance pipe is now tucked away behind the mufflers out of sight, but is still there.

Like 0maha I swapped over to twin duals on my Glide. They sounded fine and went well, but gave me problems with fit, so I swapped over to a SuperTrapp 2-into-1. I had the bike dyno tuned for both systems, by the same shop. The difference is quite something IMHO. Significantly improved torque over the low/mid rev range, where most of us ride, but the bonus is that the engine runs much more smoothly.

So I suggest you stay with a system that has a balance pipe of some sort. Systems for bikes up to 2007 should bolt right on - my SuperTrapp is actually for a 2008 bike and fits my 1990 bike just fine.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:26 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,883 Likes on 7,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Fblo1690
I have a 1997 Fatboy that has the exhaust crossover under the air cleaner. I see a lot of EVOs with dual exhaust. Would I be hurting anything switching to duals? I want to expose more of the motor because I think it's beautiful. Or maybe an exhaust that has the crossover further down? Like a hidden one? Also what years will work on this one?

That's a great exhaust system you have right there. It makes good horsepower & torque throughout the powerband. I wouldn't change a thing.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:16 PM
Fblo1690
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Leak

I have a leak where the crossover male/female piece fit together, towards rear pipe. Is there a gasket in there? There isn't a clamp. Just looks like it slides together.

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust?