EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Cheapest and easiest way to go to 6-speed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Windseeker
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 5,260 Likes on 1,868 Posts
Default Cheapest and easiest way to go to 6-speed?

I have a 1994 Fatboy and I'm loving it more every day. There's only one thing, performance-wise, that I really want to change: when I get to about 65-ish MPH, it's begging for another gear.

It's a stock 80-inch EVO. I understand that a lot of people say that you want more size and power with a 6-speed, blah blah blah. But I totally think this bike could benefit from a 6th gear. I don't have a tachometer, but it seems to really be revved up at about 65+ MPH. I would love to have a higher gear to go to.

So my question is as the title says. First of all, is there something I can just bolt in myself in my own garage? Or does this require a good bit of know-how? Are we talking about just a gearset or a complete transmission?

I'm sure that Baker is amazing, but I'm not interested in spending over $2000.00 at this time. I don't need "amazing," just "good." I consider the stock gearbox "good." But at the same time, I don't want junk. I want something that'll be good for several thousand miles.

Ideas?

Old 08-27-2017, 03:58 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

I your'94 is geared like mine it has a 3.15:1 final top gear ratio. That means you're turning 3,000 RPM at 72 MPH in top gear. Certainly not too fast. My bike starts to perk up at 60 and sings happily at 70.

It may be a matter of perception, I don't know.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:20 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

The cheapest way I can think of is to buy a bike that someone has already put a 6-speed in then swap gear sets between your bike and that one then sell the one you bought.

You could possibly come away with a free (not including your time changing gear sets) 6 speed.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:52 PM
Windseeker
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
It may be a matter of perception, I don't know.
It might be. Since I don't have a tach with a handy-dandy redline to watch, I might just be making assumptions.

Plus, with this being my first Harley, I don't have a basis for comparison.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:53 PM
Windseeker
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
The cheapest way I can think of is to buy a bike that someone has already put a 6-speed in then swap gear sets between your bike and that one then sell the one you bought.

You could possibly come away with a free (not including your time changing gear sets) 6 speed.
That sounds like a roundabout way of doing things, but all valid points. I really love this particular bike.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:27 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 848 Likes on 456 Posts

Just put a sticker on the tranny with a big 6 on it......Evos only need 3 gears anyway.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:36 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Do what I do........... shift into 5th twice.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (08-28-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 05:52 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,795 Likes on 893 Posts

That engine can churn 3500 all day with the crank size, piston speed is still slow, now a 4 5/8's stroker then the piston is getting it.

Ok, Baker OD6 is amazing (have one) but need a deal on a gear set is the only way to purchase because they cost more than selling a kidney. The Ultima gear set is economical and does work, a member Hotrod on here mastered the broken shift part repair that is common with them. Rivera Primo gear set isn't much more than a Ultima and a good name when it comes to upper end Harley parts.

You could go with a Andrews 33 trans sprocket that will give you what you are asking for and the cheapest way but have to pull the inner primary to install it. Downfall is needing to ride the clutch longer to take off. Best of both worlds is a 3.34 gearing for acceleration and a OD6 to pull one more gear which isn't in a lug condition on a straight stretch

Old 08-27-2017, 06:38 PM
Windseeker
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Do what I do........... shift into 5th twice.
I've done that more often than I care to admit publicly.....

The following 2 users liked this post by Windseeker:
2PawsRiver (08-29-2017), Uncle G. (08-28-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 06:40 PM
Windseeker
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
That engine can churn 3500 all day with the crank size, piston speed is still slow, now a 4 5/8's stroker then the piston is getting it.

Ok, Baker OD6 is amazing (have one) but need a deal on a gear set is the only way to purchase because they cost more than selling a kidney. The Ultima gear set is economical and does work, a member Hotrod on here mastered the broken shift part repair that is common with them. Rivera Primo gear set isn't much more than a Ultima and a good name when it comes to upper end Harley parts.

You could go with a Andrews 33 trans sprocket that will give you what you are asking for and the cheapest way but have to pull the inner primary to install it. Downfall is needing to ride the clutch longer to take off. Best of both worlds is a 3.34 gearing for acceleration and a OD6 to pull one more gear which isn't in a lug condition on a straight stretch
Thanks for the info.

Anyone have experience with the ~$1000.00 RevTech 6-speed trans?

Quick Reply: Cheapest and easiest way to go to 6-speed?